Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I’ve read all of the rim stickies and whatnot, I just want to clarify one thing.
I’m looking at getting a set of rx-8 rims and have a set of 215/45/r18 tires.
I should be fine putting 215 section tires on an 8” wide rim correct?

Just making sure I’m not going to run into any issues (and I realize that 225 would
be the preferred size, but these tires were originally supposed to go on 7.5” rims)

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong...but does a 215/45/r18 fit in a 8" wheel? Andalso does it fit in the car? My ca4r has 215/45 R18 and space is pkind of tight for what i've seen. I was considering upgrading wheels to 18"x7.5 but i still have my doubts on tire size.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
215/45/18's have an acceptable range of 7-8" wide wheels, so you're fine. if you went 225/45/18, the range would be 7-8½", and if you went 225/40/18, it'd be 7½-9".

lower profile tires demand wider wheels for optimum fit. i would strongly look into 235/40/18 once those 215's are up though.
[/b]
Sounds good, I was hoping to not have to roll my fenders, and from what it sounds like the rx-8 rims with 225's will rub in some ocassions but be fine in most, and if 215's will fit on and ride well (as per the sticky, you should be putting the narrowest tire on the widest rim that it fits to get the best response) then I will fire it up.

Afterall, the 215 does have a 8.45" section so I would think it would be fine on an 8" rim. The 225 only goes up to 8.85. So I would think the .2" per side difference wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Thanks for the advice guys, I would like to go with a wider tire eventually, but 235 would require fully rolling my fenders correct?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I havent seen any cars in my are with those mods, but my guess it would change the whole look of the car. I wanna keep it as simple as possible on the outside, so i'm leanind to same size of wheels and tires. maybe half an inch wider so I dont have to change tires since my car has only 4300 miles. Also ride quality is a must since i dont drive too agressive and its a everyday use car. Probably thats the reason i dont want to change sizes. Also my car came with Pirellis...the only thing that i dont like is road noise...aaaaaahhhhh...sometimes its deafening...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.