Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I think the main concern with wheels that wide is if they would clear the strut assembly up front, especially if you're going to dial in some negative camber or add camber plates, there might be some scrub within the wheel well at full lock. Ideally, you'd probably want to get a 10.5 wide wheel to test fit and see if anything hits just putting it on, or when the wheel is fully turned left and right.

Yea, that was one of my main concerns. Only reason I'd add camber is if it would be needed. Although, I was looking at some posts the other day about 20x10s, maybe 20x10.5s (I believe), that were talking about the fitments. Honestly, I can't remember but I believe JITB said that 10.5s wouldn't affect the struts, just would need some rolling done to the fenders. There's a couple people on here running 20x10s and 10.5s and they don't seem to have any problems.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Yea, that was one of my main concerns. Only reason I'd add camber is if it would be needed. Although, I was looking at some posts the other day about 20x10s, maybe 20x10.5s (I believe), that were talking about the fitments. Honestly, I can't remember but I believe JITB said that 10.5s wouldn't affect the struts, just would need some rolling done to the fenders. There's a couple people on here running 20x10s and 10.5s and they don't seem to have any problems.
If you do not want to do any modifications and your drop will be 2" or less, just go with 20x10s otherwise 20x10.5 will need fender rolling and slightly stretch tires and possible camber adjustment as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If you do not want to do any modifications and your drop will be 2" or less, just go with 20x10s otherwise 20x10.5 will need fender rolling and slightly stretch tires and possible camber adjustment as well.
Any tire recommendations (for 245/35/20's)?

·
Registered
770 Posts
^^ What is the offset of those rims? ^^
@yungsavvy

Have you seen Ferrada wheels? If you're looking for Max Concave these guys are about as Max as it can be. They don't have the style you(and me) are looking at but they have some serious concave rims. I still haven't ruled them out as we're trying some different ideas in an effort to get the max concave.

Regarding offset.... the reason I keep bringing it up is because if you can come up with the right combination you can increase/decrease the amount of concave if that's the look you're going for. For example by going with a slightly smaller diameter and then changing the offset you can increase the amount of concave in the rim. So many different ways to juggle things.

Just for fun check out a couple of the rims in the link. Those black rims on the SL55 are sick! Concave +

Ferrada Wheels

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
^^ What is the offset of those rims? ^^
@yungsavvy

Have you seen Ferrada wheels? If you're looking for Max Concave these guys are about as Max as it can be. They don't have the style you(and me) are looking at but they have some serious concave rims. I still haven't ruled them out as we're trying some different ideas in an effort to get the max concave.

Regarding offset.... the reason I keep bringing it up is because if you can come up with the right combination you can increase/decrease the amount of concave if that's the look you're going for. For example by going with a slightly smaller diameter and then changing the offset you can increase the amount of concave in the rim. So many different ways to juggle things.

Just for fun check out a couple of the rims in the link. Those black rims on the SL55 are sick! Concave +

Ferrada Wheels
The offset of which rims? If you're talking about the ones in the attached thumbnail I posted, I'm not sure, it was straight off CARiD's website under "Vossen CVT Gloss Silver" where it shows pictures of the wheels.

Just looked through some of their stuff, not seeing much that's catching my attention. Their FR4's remind me of the Rohana RC10's, which I like the concave and 10 spoke design of, but I don't like how the spokes get cutoff towards the end. I liked the FT1's at first glance, but I'm not a fan of the spacings in-between the wheels.

& for concave, the concave in that pic I posted would basically be my "ideal" concave. I don't know what you consider "max concave," but that pic would be the perfect concave for me, although I wouldn't mind a little less if need be.

As for offsets, what would you say the concave would be like on 20x9 +20's (Vossen CVT's), or would these not even fit?

·
Registered
770 Posts
I was just having you look at a couple of those to see if that's the kind of concave you're looking/going for. IMO the problem here is (for me) I'm not real familiar with the fitments with the M6 as I am with several other brands. No hands on knowledge.

For me, I'm wanting to go out (widen the stance) as far as possible with wider tires and rims. Ideally I'm thinking 255-40-19 BUT, having lowered the car an inch I don't know how far I can go with each size rim and tire. Once again the offset becomes critical in making that determination.

With the car lowered 1" what I'd like to do is run a 19x8.5 +35 rim w-255/40/19 tires. I have searched the forum for hours and have not come up with a definitive answer as to whether they will rub or not. My other issue is sooner or later I'd like to put larger rotors, calipers on the front The less offset the tougher all this becomes. My main reason for staying with the 19's is I'm trying to keep the un sprung weight at a minimum. I've passed on a couple of rims I really like because they ended up being so much heavier than I'd prefer. With the weight (and fitment) consideration it may keep in a 245 instead of a 255 wide tire also.

So, I've got a lot to still check out as I'm about 2-3 weeks from finalizing the decision. Be sure to post up what you end up doing. I'll be following this thread(s) here and you can catch me here - http://forum.mazda6club.com/picture-videos/434130-idrives-build-thread.html

Nothing like stressing out over a car. lol, and it's my wife's DD although we do take it more times than not when we go somewhere together.

Best of Luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I was just having you look at a couple of those to see if that's the kind of concave you're looking/going for. IMO the problem here is (for me) I'm not real familiar with the fitments with the M6 as I am with several other brands. No hands on knowledge.

For me, I'm wanting to go out (widen the stance) as far as possible with wider tires and rims. Ideally I'm thinking 255-40-19 BUT, having lowered the car an inch I don't know how far I can go with each size rim and tire. Once again the offset becomes critical in making that determination.

With the car lowered 1" what I'd like to do is run a 19x8.5 +35 rim w-255/40/19 tires. I have searched the forum for hours and have not come up with a definitive answer as to whether they will rub or not. My other issue is sooner or later I'd like to put larger rotors, calipers on the front The less offset the tougher all this becomes. My main reason for staying with the 19's is I'm trying to keep the un sprung weight at a minimum. I've passed on a couple of rims I really like because they ended up being so much heavier than I'd prefer. With the weight (and fitment) consideration it may keep in a 245 instead of a 255 wide tire also.

So, I've got a lot to still check out as I'm about 2-3 weeks from finalizing the decision. Be sure to post up what you end up doing. I'll be following this thread(s) here and you can catch me here - http://forum.mazda6club.com/picture-videos/434130-idrives-build-thread.html

Nothing like stressing out over a car. lol, and it's my wife's DD although we do take it more times than not when we go somewhere together.

Best of Luck
I can be of no help to your situation but thanks for your help, I'll be sure to post whatever I end up doing and good luck to you as well!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Btw, this is my first time getting aftermarket wheels, I'm going to need to get a set of tpms sensors as well, right?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Btw, this is my first time getting aftermarket wheels, I'm going to need to get a set of tpms sensors as well, right?
No, You do not need TPMS senors for this car.. It uses a Indirect TPMS monitoring method, basically the car's computer uses the ABS wheel sensors. If a tire’s pressure is low, it will roll at a different wheel speed than the other tires. This information is detected by your car’s computer system, which triggers the dashboard indicator light.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
No, You do not need TPMS senors for this car.. It used a Indirect TPMS monitoring method, basically the car's computer uses the ABS wheel sensors. If a tire’s pressure is low, it will roll at a different wheel speed than the other tires. This information is detected by your car’s computer system, which triggers the dashboard indicator light.

Oh wow, I didn't know that. I remember reading someones comment on one of the threads on here saying something like; "anytime you buy aftermarket wheels, you'll need to get tpms sensors." Always good to save some money :grin2:. Thank you!

·
Registered
605 Posts
just chiming in, just got me a set of 20 x10.5 +40. Here is some test pics......oh yeah these are Varrstoen L151

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Chiming in, I am on 20x10 +45 stock height no modification is needed, but lowering it 2+ inches rear fenders need to be rolled, I've tested 20x10.5" +45 they will poke out slightly past fender with +45 offset.

Also 245 will not be Streeeettched as some people have over exaggerated on, it's only slightly stretch as for normal tire size for this size is 255/35/20.

My current setup is 20x10 +45 with 245/35/20 tires.
Does this mean with stock height and 10+45 you were able to make full turns? No rubbing on full turns? Thanks.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts