Mazda 6 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
:nono: im new 2 da forum & i see ppl r constantly making negative remarks towards 20in rims. i have some milanna 20's on my car & they r 20/7.5 & they ride just fine. these rims were designed for 6's, honda accords, pt cruiser, & mini. i also have 3 12in woofers, amp, crossover, compasiter, & battery in da hatch & there isnt a problem. so please do more searching b4 considering i transform my car 2 a monster truck... pic coming really soon
[/b]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

HE SAID "COMPASITER"

HaHAHHAHahaHaHahhaahaHaHaHHAHaHAHAHAhaHAHAAHAHHAhahaHAAHHA

And we all drive Mazda Sicxces!

hahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahaha

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Not sure man, you have to hit the dude up on his cardomain...
[/b]
He is running 225-30-20 and if memory serves me right, tires in that size dont provide sufficient load ratings for the 6. Also, he is running 19x8.5" rims right now with a 215 width tire and got rid of the 20s.... I wonder why.

Also, he claims he got "an amazing power increase" from adding his Pro Spec A exhaust. Do Australian 6's have a different exhaust setup than the NA 6? Because we all know adding exhaust to a V6 makes no power gains whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Also, he claims he got "an amazing power increase" from adding his Pro Spec A exhaust. Do Australian 6's have a different exhaust setup than the NA 6? Because we all know adding exhaust to a V6 makes no power gains whatsoever.
[/b]
He is a bogan.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
He is a bogan.
[/b]

Bogan: One of minimal intelligence, standards and fasion sense. Located in Australia, found in caravan parks, housing commission, the pub or Centrelink queues.
Commonly referred to in other countries as a redneck or chav. Also see hick and inbred.

This definition?

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Bogan: One of minimal intelligence, standards and fasion sense. Located in Australia, found in caravan parks, housing commission, the pub or Centrelink queues.
Commonly referred to in other countries as a redneck or chav. Also see hick and inbred.
This definition?
[/b]
I've seen Australians use it to describe their rednecks/ricers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually 20's fit with no problem without having to make modification...There is a lot of rumors to the fact that bigger rims mess up other parts of the vehicle.It is somewhat true, its not so much the size its the weight factor. I indeed have 20 inch rims on my car and they are lighter than the factory 17 inch rim and tire that comes on the car.I didnt do any mods and the rim was a 20x7.5 with a 225-35-20...The car handles a little bit better than the factory wheels probably because of the half of inch width difference on the tires...I hope this helps.Oh yyeah I hope someone can help me with mods..Ive had my mazda 6 only a week...

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Actually 20's fit with no problem without having to make modification...There is a lot of rumors to the fact that bigger rims mess up other parts of the vehicle.It is somewhat true, its not so much the size its the weight factor. I indeed have 20 inch rims on my car and they are lighter than the factory 17 inch rim and tire that comes on the car.I didnt do any mods and the rim was a 20x7.5 with a 225-35-20...The car handles a little bit better than the factory wheels probably because of the half of inch width difference on the tires...I hope this helps.Oh yyeah I hope someone can help me with mods..Ive had my mazda 6 only a week...
[/b]
Did you read the rest of this thread at all? :huh:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Wow, and you didn't even have to roll the fenders!

·
Registered
748 Posts
can 20's fit on the 6 without any modifications? if yes what would the rim and tire size be? i have 18's on there now with 215/40/18 tires and they rub around turns and bumps, mostly when people are in the back
[/b]
18's rub yet you want to put 20's?! :headscrat: :slap:

whoa, 2005, just noticed, lol.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I worked at a tire shop for almost 3 years and i have seen worse examples of improper load rating on some cars that drove through our shop. Like 4500 lb cadillacs with heavy ass 30lb 15x10 chrome plated 100 spoke steel wire wheels riding on stretched 185/60/15 white walls. Mind you these guys hopped on hydros which dramatically increased the load on landing but never blew tires.

Technically speaking, a 225/30/20 Pirelli P-Zero Nero has an overall rolling diameter of 25.5". That's only .1" off from the stock 25.6" O.D. on my MS6's 215/45/18's. That's about as close as a match as you can get in the tire world. +/- .2" is the recommend tolerance but +/- .4" is a very common occurance. 20's do not pose a problem, fitment wise, if the proper offset is achieved with the right wheel width. Shoulder profile varies from tire to tire as well which may help or hinder fender and control arm clearance.

The load rating on the same 225/30/20 is an 85, equivalent to 1235lbs per tire. Muultiply that by 4 tires gives you a total load rating of 4940lbs.

A 6i weighs about 3050lbs with my MS6 weighing in at 3600lbs. So on my heavier MS6 that leaves 1340 lbs for passengers and cargo.

Four extremely large 250lb adults would still leave you with room for 140lbs of cargo in the trunk or an average female passenger in the middle rear seat. Realistically speaking I only weigh 170lbs which leaves me 1170lbs for cargo and passengers. Remember, you have an additional 200-300lbs of load capacity if you're driving a non-turbo 4cyl or V6.

Plus, tire manufacturers conservatively buffer the load rating on a tire for safety reasons so they can actually handle more than they are rated for.

I'm a bit dissapointed in some you guys. This board was not meant to ridicule but inform and unify our members through a common love of our cars. Shame on you to dismiss someones opinions based on taste. tsk tsk :nono: BTW, the 6 is by no means a small car. It's not like throwing 20's on a civic or an integra. I've seen 20's on 3-series bimmers and c-class benz's so why not a 6? :headscrat:

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I've seen 20's on 3-series bimmers and c-class benz's so why not a 6? :headscrat:
[/b]
Because the S-class Benz and 7-series BMWs have larger diameter tires to begin with, thus allowing for higher load rated tires. For example:

A 2004 Mercedes S500 came with 225/55R17 tires from the factory with an overall diameter of 26.7 inches and a load rating of 97.

You can safely install a set of 255/35R20 because that size is 27.0 inches tall (within 3%) and has a load rating of (gasp!) 97!

At the moment, you cannot safely do this on a 6, even though there is current a size on the market that is the proper overall diameter, it's load index is much too low. Just because you've seen people do it, doesn't make it a proper (or safe) modification. 'Nuff said! 20's on a 6 is just plain stupid!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Because the S-class Benz and 7-series BMWs have larger diameter tires to begin with, thus allowing for higher load rated tires. For example:

A 2004 Mercedes S500 came with 225/55R17 tires from the factory with an overall diameter of 26.7 inches and a load rating of 97.

You can safely install a set of 255/35R20 because that size is 27.0 inches tall (within 3%) and has a load rating of (gasp!) 97!

At the moment, you cannot safely do this on a 6, even though there is current a size on the market that is the proper overall diameter, it's load index is much too low. Just because you've seen people do it, doesn't make it a proper (or safe) modification. 'Nuff said! 20's on a 6 is just plain stupid!
[/b]
:huh: I'm pretty sure i wrote, 3-series bimmers and C-class benz. Review the numbers. The math doesn't lie. I think calling them stupid might be a bit much. If they don't load up the vehicle they are not exceeding the capabilities of the tire.

121 - 140 of 305 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.