Mazda 6 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
201 - 220 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
have 17's stock, and even lowered, just dont fill in the wheel wells. i personally like the 19's, and hate the idea of 20's. but as said, this is the girls car. so its her choice, but i did talk her into 19's at least.

believe me, im not a bigger is better believer.
my tiburon is on 17's, nasty motigi's

my 89 probe turbo (mazda made) is on 16's, stock 2nd gen probe gt's

and my fav, my 92 probe turbo (mazda made) on 15's, old school hella light borbets

as said, im all about having the rim fit the tire well with a nice drop, the stock 17's on the 6 just dont do that. from the pics ive seen with the 19's with a drop, its perfect, and hella sexy

obviousely i like to drop every car i own. i hate wheel gap more then anything.

·
Registered
508 Posts
i saw this post for the first time and i gagged. 19's are way over doin it personally and i think 17 - 18's are just right. I like 17 are perfect and 16 is to little. just go with 17's and some Sportline lowering springs. Then your set.
[/b]

17's are perfect, 18's are a tad too big for me, maybe its just me, but I just like everything in proportion.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I have 19's and I love them very much thank you. lol

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
17's are perfect, 18's are a tad too big for me, maybe its just me, but I just like everything in proportion.
[/b]

That's the thing. 17's aren't proportional for the car size and wheel well size.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm a "newbie" on here, and read this thread because I know 20's don't fit and wanted to read what size was actually recomended. I know 18's are perfect, since thats whats on the Speed6, but my dumb ass wanted to see if 19's would fit, I am definitely going with 18's and a small dropkit.

couple questions
1. Where the hell is that guy getting a twin turbo for his 6, and why would HE want it? Doesn't look like he would be racing it, if he were, he would stick with 17's and spend the money he saved on the suspension, because with a twin turbo, the stock suspension wouldn't be safe.

2. If the 6 is a slow car, then why are they winning all those touring races? and why would it win awards for its handling and "sportslike feel"? and why did the release of the 6 bring Mazda back to its racing roots? Just look at all the cars that came after the 6, I'm thinking about getting a CX-7 as my second car because that is one bad ass crossover.

3. If 20's might fit, then why don't we let "them" put it on and not say I told you so when they start a thread called "20's ruined my 6" or something like that. I mean from what I see people do have 20's on their 6, and some actually look good, but I wouldn't sacrifice looks for safety and performance.

4. WHY CHROME? When I went to Tokyo a few years back, they used to say "If you come with chrome, you might as well go home", or something like that. Chrome is way too heavy for a car that has 6 cylinders or less, although they do look sweet on SUV's or big ass V8 cars, or if you just want to show your car off, but then you get that label "All Show, No Go" which is pretty much an insult in the tuner world. I like to have a car that looks good but also I enjoy the performance.

And if you are wondering, I am over 30 and been in the tuner world since 1992. In fact I was one of the first 3 guys on the big island to enter the import scene with my '92 civic which I put every performance part made back then into my car, which was basic stuff like intake, headers and exhaust. I actually had to cut my springs to drop it at first, until Eibach came out with one 6 months later, I also had to port and polish the engine myself, eventually making a car that could keep up with the big dogs. I wish I had all the parts that are out now back then, but I guess thats why I appreciate what performance the 6 gets, because it gets alot of performance straight from the factory.

So in my honest opinion, 6's shouldn't have 20's on them. But telling people this is like :deadhorse:

·
Registered
85 Posts
My car had 20s on it when I bought it.. I don't think they look too bad at all..
No fitment issues.. no rubs and the ride is not bad at all
(no worse than my 03 Mustang with 1.5" drop and 17's)

·
Registered
626 Posts
are those 20's thats on ur car now??? They dont look like 20's to me

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
House real-BIG,
Cars real-BIG,
Belly real-BIG,
Everything real-BIG...
Rims real-BIG,
Pockets real-BIG,
Range real-BIG,
Let me tell u how i live...
Like that? buy that!
24's - ride that
Ladeez, gentlemen, gangstas, pimps...
Mommas, daddys, stunnas, shinahs...
Rich-bitch! im a real big tyma!
[/b]

which means: dick = really small

obviousely i like to drop every car i own. i hate wheel gap more then anything.

[/b]
even more than bouncing along on the bump stops like a skateboard on a cobblestone sidewalk...??

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
*Sigh*

No one ever said that NO set of 20s would never FIT on the car...... for the guy who has 20s, whats the load ratings of your tires?
[/b]
Philter, you can't save people from their own stupidity. There's more than enough information on this site supporting the fact that 20's are an unsafe application on the 6. That's really all you can do. If someone wants to be an idiot and put 20s on a 6 anyway, why stop them? Darwin's law goes into effect at that point.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
18s would be the biggest rim size i would ever go with, especially since i'm in pothole central of the US of A haha! damn Pennsylvania and it's big ditches! :yesnod:

·
Registered
85 Posts
are those 20's thats on ur car now??? They dont look like 20's to me
[/b]
Yes, they are 20's in the photos... they were on the car when I got it.

*Sigh*

...... for the guy who has 20s, whats the load ratings of your tires?
[/b]

Check out post #8 in the link below ;)

I have found that some people saying the load rating on 20's and the 20" tires
are unsafe are running 17"s with a lower load rating than my 20's :p

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...=62474&st=0

·
Registered
4,791 Posts

[/b]
Err...Wheel load ratings are independent of tire load ratings. Bringing wheel load rating up does not compensate for the lower rating of the tire. In other words, improving the structure/materials/construction of a wheel to bring it up in load rating does not improve the structure/materials/construction of a tire nor the tire's load rating. Sure your wheel is rated to carry the car's weight, but your tires still aren't up to snuff.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Yes, they are 20's in the photos... they were on the car when I got it.

[/b]

Mazda6 requires a tire with a load rating of 91 or higher. I agree with you, some people are running tires on smaller wheels that are insufficient and we scold them all the time. The difference is there ARE tires available in 17" that have sufficient load ratings, however to the best of my knowledge I dont know of any tires in 20" that have sufficient load ratings........ although something new could have came out in the past few months that I could be unaware of as I dont spend much attention looking at 20" tires.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Err...Wheel load ratings are independent of tire load ratings. Bringing wheel load rating up does not compensate for the lower rating of the tire. In other words, improving the structure/materials/construction of a wheel to bring it up in load rating does not improve the structure/materials/construction of a tire nor the tire's load rating. Sure your wheel is rated to carry the car's weight, but your tires still aren't up to snuff.
[/b]
:huh:
Err... OK... I never said anything of the sort, but I do agree with you. :D

Mazda6 requires a tire with a load rating of 91 or higher. I agree with you, some people are running tires on smaller wheels that are insufficient and we scold them all the time. The difference is there ARE tires available in 17" that have sufficient load ratings, however to the best of my knowledge I dont know of any tires in 20" that have sufficient load ratings........ although something new could have came out in the past few months that I could be unaware of as I dont spend much attention looking at 20" tires.
[/b]
Thanks.. I have no problems at all with what you are saying..
I only had a problem with the other guy scolding me for having 20s when my stuff was better than his
(Higher load ratings on both wheels and tires).. :p

Like I said, this is how I bought the car...
Maybe I only need a lower load rating because of the weight that was saved when the original owner bought the Carbon Fiber hood :laugh:

Take care ;)

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
[/b]
So, exactly what size do you have on there? What is the load rating? Also, what brand and model? You keep saying you have the proper load rated tire on your car and I have my doubts.

·
Registered
85 Posts
So, exactly what size do you have on there? What is the load rating? Also, what brand and model? You keep saying you have the proper load rated tire on your car and I have my doubts.
[/b]

:huh:

Wha??? Did I miss something? I have never even once said that I have the proper load rating...
If you saw me post something I didn't type, please let me know :headscrat:

If you are interested in the load ratings of my wheels and tires check the link I posted at the top of this page ;)

201 - 220 of 305 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
304 Replies
123 Participants
djquik1
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing