Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 6i throwing cel after 20k mi, ends up being exhaust, dealer replaces 'warm-up' cat, and what I am assuming is a mid-pipe assembly.

my question, after 20k mi.????? does that sound right?? Are they just trying to jack me so my engine wears prematurely?

oh, and I have to re-experience the rotten egg smell all over again... oh joy....

good part, $0... why would they do this? I didn't search for tsb's either.

although covered under warranty, I orig. brought it in for a drivers seat repair in which the side bolster died.

started doing my own upkeep at 12k mi.

~ braziers, beers and cheers, not jeers, leers and fears, haters stay home.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The emmisions system is covered (by law) for 80K miles. I think your dealer is handing you a line of BS though.... The 6i doesn't have a 'warm up' cat, only the main cat mounted fairly close the the engine so no 'warm up' cat is needed. If you're getting a rotten egg smell, that usually indicates other problems. Could be bad gas or a very rich mixture that is causing unburnt fuel to reach the cat. I suppose a non-firing plug could also lead to unburnt gas getting in the exhaust, but I think you might get a misfire CEL. Something sounds fishy here. :headscrat: If you keep getting the rotten egg smell, you might need another cat in 20K miles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts