Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
8,431 Posts
Fantastic looks. Stupid name.

It should be a CX-4, based on their current, logical naming scheme.

Naming it CX-30 reminds me of the confusing, less-intelligent names that Infiniti uses for their crossovers.

·
Super Moderator
16,876 Posts
Fantastic looks. Stupid name.

It should be a CX-4, based on their current, logical naming scheme.

Naming it CX-30 reminds me of the confusing, less-intelligent names that Infiniti uses for their crossovers.
/Thread.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Yeah the name is stupid. But this thing is going to sell like hotcakes IMO. Between the beautiful interior and exterior, any small premium crossover over is going to be shaking in its boots. Makes me wonder if Mazda named it similarly to the one car it has its sights set on, i.e. the QX30.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
Dave Tracy at Jalopnik nailed when he said, "Now Mazda is joining the club with its CX-30, giving the brand its own trio of small SUVs that can fit just inside one another like Russian Matryoshka dolls."

Pretty sure we've seen the last iteration of the 6.....for awhile at least.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dave Tracy at Jalopnik nailed when he said, "Now Mazda is joining the club with its CX-30, giving the brand its own trio of small SUVs that can fit just inside one another like Russian Matryoshka dolls."
Pretty sure we've seen the last iteration of the 6.....for awhile at least.
Last iteration? Doubt it. The 6 isn't a big seller, but isn't any worse than most of their other vehicles. Heck, the 6 outsold the CX-9 last year and has double sales of the CX-3. The Mazda 3 sells quite well, though.

Mazda's only real leader is the CX-5 which sells 5x as much as the CX-9 and 6.

The fact that Mazda opted to extensively refresh the 6 versus put it on the new platform certainly has me curious.(for all intent and purposes, the 2018 pretty much is a next-gen 6. You don't see things like new suspensions, powertrains, NVH improvements, and completely new interiors on typical mid-cycle refreshes.)

·
Registered
766 Posts
The CX30 looks great inside and out. Love how Mazda’s design language is evolving.

As for the next 6, I think Mazda is biding their time until they can introduce it on next gen architecture. The last 2 updates were pretty substantial and were significant upgrades. Had they done a FMC - most likely on a reworked version of the current platform - it would be been years behind the new 3 and now CX30. On the extreme end of the rumor scale, if the next 6 is on a shared RWD/AWD with Toyota, it could be a baby Lexus GS. One can dream... Mazda has been charging full steam ahead. It wouldn’t surprise me if they introduce a huge step into luxo territory with the next 6.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I hope not.

I get the attraction -- if you sell a $50k car with a 20% margin, you made $10 large. If you sell a $20k car with the same 20% margin, you only made $4 large.

But from the consumer point of view if you buy a $50k car with a 20% margin, you GOT a $40k car in terms of value (the rest went into the manufacturer's pocket.) If you buy the $20k car with the same margin you got a $16k car in terms of value. You lost a LOT less.

If the $20k car does everything you want it to do then the other $30 large is simply bragging. I have no quarrel with that provided I can opt out.

Sadly, that's getting harder to do. If Mazda makes it impossible I'll buy something else, even if it's used, and they lose the business entirely.

$20k with a $4k margin is better than zero.

·
Registered
766 Posts
^^^^

I don’t disagree with that. The margins are what’s important. If Mazda can balance the “near luxury equation” (making vehicles that feel like they compete with Acura, Volvo, lower end German marques at “mid class prices”) ... it’s a win-win for us. Maybe throw in a limited run flagship car just to screw with the Tier 1 guys and keep them nervous. :D

·
Registered
562 Posts
If they put a third pedal in it in the US, it'll be in my driveway. Not holding my breath, though.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Well that too.

The problem is that Mazda seems to be headed toward "third pedal only on severely upscale trim levels", which is BAD.

I don't want all that crap on my car. Now if you're giving it to me FREE that's a different thing, but nobody ever does of course. These days I see *negative* value in things like a sunroof -- I had them in a number of cars and never used them; well, there's $1,000 I paid and got nothing for it. Ditto for a lot of other things.

Would I like to be able to mix-n-match? Sure. I'd pay for leather seats, for example, if I could do that without taking the entire rest of the package, but nobody does that anymore. It's always with a bunch of stuff I attach no value to, and thus the leather option isn't $1,000 -- it's $10,000! For that money I'll run the cloth seats and if and when I get tired of them I'll have Katzkin put REAL (not the faux) leather in the car for me.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The problem is that Mazda seems to be headed toward "third pedal only on severely upscale trim levels", which is BAD.
The opposite is true. Think of it this way--moving MTs upscale is wonderful and can keep them alive. Keeping the MT in the poverty spec trim only ensures that dealers aren't going to stock them because they don't make anything off them. Sure, you CAN get, say, a Nissan Frontier in a manual, but my dealership literally never orders them. You won't find one on a lot within 200 miles, maybe 1,000 miles.

If they can squeeze a few hundred, or thousand, extra out of a "premium" MT trim, that's a huge incentive for manufacturers to keep making them, and more importantly, dealers to keep stocking them. I don't like manuals because they're cheaper (although it is nice), I like them because they're 1,000x more fun. If I have to pay 5-10% "manual tax" for them to stay around, I'll gladly do so. And since I buy used, the difference between medium trim and premium trim is going to be negligible.

Sorry for the rant, haha.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
It's not a 5% "manual tax" -- it's more like a 20-30% one.

I have no idea where people get the idea that $30k+ is "reasonable" for a vehicle; the median personal income in the US is right around that number!

That's flat-out insane and has only been enable by all the financial factoring in the F&I office -- which is disappearing rapidly (look at the average interest rate change on auto loans over the last 12 months!)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The CX30 looks great inside and out. Love how Mazda’s design language is evolving.

As for the next 6, I think Mazda is biding their time until they can introduce it on next gen architecture. The last 2 updates were pretty substantial and were significant upgrades. Had they done a FMC - most likely on a reworked version of the current platform - it would be been years behind the new 3 and now CX30. On the extreme end of the rumor scale, if the next 6 is on a shared RWD/AWD with Toyota, it could be a baby Lexus GS. One can dream... Mazda has been charging full steam ahead. It wouldn’t surprise me if they introduce a huge step into luxo territory with the next 6.
All I can say is if Mazda joint ventures with Toyota for the next 6, I hope to God that Mazda does the chassis and suspension bits. If they use the Camry chassis for the next 6... I'm out like a light.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mazda is just trying to differentiate themselves from the commuting appliance Toyotas and Hondas, and they're doing a good job of that IMO. The problem is that the new 3's base price is higher than my 2014 Mazda 6! So are they just doing away with the sub 20k segment altogether? That kinda sucks. It's like they're trying to move in between Honda and Acura in terms of pricing, but at least Mazda's cars look better than both of those!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Neo -- Yep.

This is IMHO a suicidal move into a rate environment where the ZIRP option (e.g. zero down offers, etc) in which the manufacturer and their captive finance arm are basically capitalizing the interest into the price becomes nastily unprofitable to engage in.

It's the "buy the payment" model where the manufacturer is writing the paper and leveraging their ability to borrow cheap. The risk in this is that the firm literally can go under doing this sort of thing, and the last time we had a bust that blew people up doing it in other than the housing sector it literally blew up Lucent -- a piece of the old Bell Labs and a venerable firm that had been around for a hell of a long time.

Arbitraging interest rates and thinking you can capture margin this way with ever-ratcheting prices is extraordinarily dangerous, and when (not if) it goes bad on you if you went to far with it the firm dies.

·
Registered
76 Posts
^^^^

I don’t disagree with that. The margins are what’s important. If Mazda can balance the “near luxury equation” (making vehicles that feel like they compete with Acura, Volvo, lower end German marques at “mid class prices”) ... it’s a win-win for us. Maybe throw in a limited run flagship car just to screw with the Tier 1 guys and keep them nervous. :D
Mazda is just trying to differentiate themselves from the commuting appliance Toyotas and Hondas, and they're doing a good job of that IMO. The problem is that the new 3's base price is higher than my 2014 Mazda 6! So are they just doing away with the sub 20k segment altogether? That kinda sucks. It's like they're trying to move in between Honda and Acura in terms of pricing, but at least Mazda's cars look better than both of those!
I don't even have the Signature 6 and I'd have a hard time paying $20-$30,000 more for a comparably equipped luxury marque. The 6 is quiet, smooth, and has plenty of luxury and design for going around town.

Honestly, you'd be surprised about the actual take-rate of higher trims. These auto companies aren't stupid, and certainly know what sells. I remember watching a video about the CX-9 and how Mazda was surprised about how high the take rate was on the Signature trim. Kia has also been surprised about how many people are going for the $40,000+ GT trims on the new Stinger.

Who knows, perhaps most people who show up at Mazda dealers are there to spend more on a vehicle they like whereas the type of people that are looking for a cheap appliance just go to the Toyota or Honda dealer and call it a day. Mazda wouldn't eliminate a cheaper model for no reason.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
These auto companies aren't stupid.
Yep all the arm chair quarterbacks around here would have you think otherwise. Not that all companies are brilliant, but smaller companies like Mazda NEED to be smart otherwise they will not survive.

And yes, yes a thousand times YES! It's a tragedy that the manual is dying quickly. But thats a fact of business and building something no one will actually buy, would be fiscally irresponsible. Also, as has been said MANY times. It is harder to build a fuel efficient car when part of the systrm is being directed by human hands instead of a microprocessor.

Even some of the tolken manuals being offered in sedans (looking at you Genesis G70) are getting criticized for poor implementation. IMO

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,431 Posts
Apparently, C&D was just as flummoxed about the name as I was, so they asked Mazda about it:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26708009/2020-mazda-cx-30-name/

It's too bad their reason doesn't hold up, when they sold an entirely different 2nd-gen 6 here in NA compared to the EU/JDM 6, yet they still used the Mazda6 moniker in both markets...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts