Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Disappointed the Skyactiv-X engine isn't available - I thought the general assumption was that it would be the base engine (or even the only engine) at introduction. They're not even making any promises: "Later in the 3's run, a new Skyactiv-X inline-four with Mazda's compression-ignition-capable tech will join the lineup promising significantly improved fuel economy." That could be years from now.
My guess is that they will want to release the Skyactiv-X on the 6 before or at least at the same time as the 3. Since the 6 is their flagship sedan, they wouldn't want its "little sister" to get the new technology first. And I'm also guessing they will want to release the Skyactiv-X 6 along with a redesign as well. Id bet on 2020.

That, yes.

It's a "bet the company" sort of gamble for Mazda, in at least one regard -- while failure will likely take them out of the sedan market, success could trivially kill ALL of the EV players and give MAZDA the market.

I'm not kidding. An honest 50mpg highway vehicle that runs on regular pump gas, is nice to drive and doesn't come with serious maintenance headaches and liabilities (e.g. is as reliable and functional as the existing Sky-G) would utterly detonate demand for virtually all non-superluxury EVs.

Tesla's "3" dies immediately as the TCO on this thing would blow any existing or planned EVs out of the water with zero range related issues as all EVs have. It removes any issues with CAFE compliance at the same time.

In short Mazda could basically own the sedan market. Yes, it's a shrinking market but if you kill all the other guys outright then there's plenty remaining for the last guy standing to make a whole bunch of money. If the engine not only works as expected but *scales* then you can stick a six-cylinder version in the midsize SUVs (e.g. CX-5) and destroy the competition there too with an honest 40mpg offering (it'll be lower due to the higher profile and worse cD, but 40 ought to be achievable in the CX-5 chassis) plus you have an engine that will work in the CX-9 (in the six-cylinder config) and destroy all of the larger SUV-style offerings on fuel burn as well.

It's a hell of a gamble but a really, really good one if it works.
It seems like a big jump to say that cornering the EV market would give them the entire sedan market. From what I can tell, Mazda just isn't that big in the public eye. People buy what they know. Maybe Skyactiv-X will give them a big push, but they won't go from zero to hero with it. IMO they are ALREADY making the best sedans on the market, and their market share is still pitiful.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
what probability do you guys think there will be a turbo for the 3? 1%?
Mazda has already said that they are listening to customers. And if they think they can sell 3's with the turbo, they will. Just improves ROI on what they spent on the turbo.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
My guess is that they will want to release the Skyactiv-X on the 6 before or at least at the same time as the 3. Since the 6 is their flagship sedan, they wouldn't want its "little sister" to get the new technology first. And I'm also guessing they will want to release the Skyactiv-X 6 along with a redesign as well. Id bet on 2020.
Not in Europe. We get the skyactive-x on the 3 first. As for the turbo :mad: It's not even being certified for sale in Europe. Not in any model. The real reason for getting the Active-X engine is to cope with the fact that diesels are soon banned from entering major citys https://www.businessinsider.com/cities-going-car-free-ban-2017-8?r=US&IR=T&IR=T

The skyactive-x may be a great engine but Mazda will need an EV if it is to survive more than 10 years in Europe. To put things in perspective Norway which has the largest oil reserves in Europe now sells more EV's than conventional motors https://electrek.co/2018/10/01/electric-vehicle-sales-new-record-norway-tesla/

·
Registered
680 Posts
MOTORTREND:

"Mazda's impressive spark-compression-ignition Skyactiv-X engines will debut under the hood of the Mazda3 this year in Europe, followed by Japan. Mazda will slowly roll out Skyactiv-X engines globally with emission-strict markets getting priority. Smart money says Skyactiv-X doesn't come Stateside until at least 2021—and perhaps longer if another Republican administration is in the White House in 2020"

"a new Mazdaspeed3 isn't in the cards, but an electrical assist ought to do just nicely, especially considering the platform has been future-proofed for electrification."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos-compact/2019-mazda3-sedan-first-drive-pelvic-thrust-upmarket/ar-BBSMUDM?li=BBnb4R5

·
Registered
444 Posts
Mazda 3 - AWD

Not sure if this was already posted, I found this article this morning, if AWD is coming to the 3 will most likely come to the 6 in the near future.
Great news for us living up north.

Mazda 3 2019

The big news is the addition of Mazda’s i-Activ all-wheel-drive system. It drives the front wheels under normal conditions, but can transfer up to 50 per cent of power to the rear wheels, and it does so proactively. It looks at the engine, transmission, steering angle and brake usage, along with aspects like outside temperature and wiper usage, to determine when wheel slip is about to occur and reapportion the torque accordingly. For example, it pulls away using all four wheels to prevent unwanted wheelspin, and it alters the power split to help counter a wayward tendency. It works with Mazda’s G-Vectoring Control Plus system.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't want to be the first one "testing" Skyactiv X. The reliability of the Skyactiv X is unknown, and they still have to turbo charge it.

This is true. I sprained my ankle pretty badly a few weeks ago. It's not the easiest car to get in and out of.

Most of the new cars I see these days are compact SUVs. Everyone is buying them these days whether they actually need them or not. I even thought about getting one. I'd been driving an SUV I inherited and was used to sitting high. It's like some sort of force when you see so many, it starts to feel like that must be what I need too. Fortunately, I came to my senses and realized the sedan is better in almost every area except cargo space, which is not something I need, especially since I'm not planning on selling the SUV anytime soon.
I hit my head a few times since getting this car, I'm not gonna lie.

I remember early in college I really wanted a crossover. Then, I started an internship where the company vehicles were CUVs(large and small) and I just didn't like them. I'm officially a sedan man.

The space argument against sedans is a bit overblown, in my opinion. The 6 trunk can hold a ton of crap; even more with the seats down. The only real advantage with a larger crossover is if you're carrying very wide/tall items which for 99% of people is 0.1% of the time. If you're carrying normal things like luggage or stuff to go to the beach, you can easily do it even with 3 other people in the car.

Heck, I went up to a college retreat with 4 of us in the car plus all of our crap in a Kia Forte. But everyone needs a CUV...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't want to be the first one "testing" Skyactiv X. The reliability of the Skyactiv X is unknown, and they still have to turbo charge it.

I remember early in college I really wanted a crossover. Then, I started an internship where the company vehicles were CUVs(large and small) and I just didn't like them. I'm officially a sedan man.

The space argument against sedans is a bit overblown, in my opinion. The 6 trunk can hold a ton of crap; even more with the seats down. The only real advantage with a larger crossover is if you're carrying very wide/tall items which for 99% of people is 0.1% of the time. If you're carrying normal things like luggage or stuff to go to the beach, you can easily do it even with 3 other people in the car.

Heck, I went up to a college retreat with 4 of us in the car plus all of our crap in a Kia Forte. But everyone needs a CUV...
I've hit my head a bunch of times, even before the ankle issue and I'm 5'7", not short for a woman, but probably shorter than the majority of Mazda6 drivers since it tends to skew male. I've slowly been inching my seat down, I started out super high because I was used to the SUV, but it's more fun to drive being lower. The trunk is big enough for almost everything people would need to regularly transport. I do have a couple friends with huge families and big dogs who go to Costco every week and they love their little SUVs but that's not my situation. The sedan truly shows off the the Mazda design, it's a head turner, you don't get that look in the CXs, they don't look much different than any other SUV. I live in SoCal and everyone wants to pretend they spend every weekend at the ocean or mountains and need the room for all their gear, but most rarely leave the city.

I love that the seats go down, I wasn't aware it did that until my car came and I started playing around with all the features. I bought online for a great deal on the exact car I wanted, the salespeople didn't know anything about the cars. Coming from a 2006, I'm blown away by all the features on cars these days. Blind spot monitoring, lane keep assist, radar cruise control...that's all so cool to me.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
There's good and bad with the Sky-X not coming to the US first. The good is that if there are problems we'll find out about them, and maybe not get the engine at all.

The bad is that if there aren't problems we don't get it right away, and maybe not at all.

The existing SkyActiv engine has been insanely good to me. If the -X is anywhere near that good it will be a nuclear weapon right on top of Elon Musk's house -- and head.

Never mind all the other "conventional" manufacturers.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I agree with the space in cars comment. I drive a Corolla, and my wife has a mid-sized CUV. I can fit two sets of golf clubs and two pull carts in the trunk of the car, and have to fold the rear seats down in the CUV. The car also provides non visibility of the contents.

I was never a proponent of having cargo and passenger space in one area. Just find wagons and SUV's/CUV's noisier than sedans. If I'm going to buy a two box vehicle, I'd personally go with a minivan. I've heard the arguments of the "coolness" factor. Personally think purchasing an SUV, when a minivan does a superior job for a family, is, umm, ok not dumb as that's insulting, but non cognizant of purchasing the correct tool for the job. IMO, of course.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As I read my original comment, sounds like I'm making a negative comment towards my wife and I. I am, in a way, as I always tease her for purchasing a CUV. We did own two minivans when our three kids were younger. I personally do not like driving the CUV. Don't like the driving height whereas that appears to be one of the prime reasons they sell well. And it's an automatic. lol.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
There's nothing technologically preventing putting a turbo on the -X engine; the supercharger is there for consistency in flow. In addition there's no detonation problem with it either if you're operating in compression ignition mode (which is a huge problem with spark-ignition engines) so just as with a diesel the power limit if they DO turbocharge it is a function of how much power it can make before something expensive breaks.

However, it may not be possible to meet emissions numbers with a turbo in compression-ignition mode, and if so that would preclude them from doing it from the factory...... and the complexity of the control system may make it uneconomic for third party tuners and such to jump in as well (never mind that I have no idea what sort of margin is there for durability if you start cranking output up.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
All of the major magazines/sites have first drive reviews this week from a press event Mazda hosted in Pasadena. Mostly raves, notable for the handling.

I was at the auto show release in L.A. and got to sit in the new 3. Coming from my 2015 base/sport 6, I've always felt the 3 didn't quite have enough length to express the lines of the sedan properly. Those curves are tight and a little dowdy. In the 2019 3, they did away with the hard crease lines and rely more on reflection lines the car gives off, especially while moving. Sitting indoors, it felt like it lost some of the Mazda family resemblance. That wheel-well curve dating back at least to the RX-8. On the other hand, it gained something different and elegant. The hatch is a little radical, doesn't rely on that side panel line, crazy rear quarter, and I kind of liked it! With rear-view cameras, and mirrors set properly, I'm not too concerned about visibility. Would have to do some serious test drives.

Overall, the 6 was the biggest car I've ever owned (different story I may post in another thread), so both my wife and I would probably be more comfortable zipping around in a 3. But having gone to the 6 and almost gotten used to it, it'll be hard to step back/down at this point. Will probably decide on the next car in the next year or so, after a 2019 6 comes out. Excited to see how much of the new 3 affects the 6.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Well I thought I would post an update and my opinion on the new 3. I drove one and what a fantastic car. Handling, steering and comfort are excellent, very similar to the 6 however there are two things that have kept me wanting a 6. First is cost, $28,000 for a 3 with premium package doesn't make it worth it for me when you can get a 6 with the turbo which brings me to my second dislike of the 3 and that's power. It's not underpowered but it doesn't seem to have much grunt, drove the turbo 6 right after and yes that torque and passing power is so nice!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I test drove a select 3 hatch in Machine Gray. Words escape me. What a [email protected]$#ing awesome car. I'm 6'2" and fit the beautiful cabin like a glove. Everything about the car, with the exception of the fake vent slats across the passenger side of the dash is first class. Forget Japanese or American, any German manufacturer witha small car e.g. Audi A3 should take note. And anyone who doesnt see the value in this little car needs their head examined IMO. I was having a blast driving this auto in manual mode like a go cart. Also beautiful in person.

My wife who IS NOT a car person was bowled over by it and WANTS one. We are grappling with the reality of a small car practicality (her 2010 CX9 has been a great car) but for me, the ID to her EGO, says you only live once and when do we really need SUV room (one kid in college, the other still home.

Here are some pictures of the one I drove and the white/red color combo she wants.

Truly astonishing little car and IMO plenty of punch for its size.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

41 - 57 of 57 Posts