Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Interior is a marked improvement for sure. Never liked the 'motorbike' style binnacle the previous design had. The 3 pod binnacle is a much better design.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I personally think it looks worse, both exterior and interior. The outgoing model was eye-catching and this one just looks like a regular Ford or VW. And the interior has this weird split-level thing going on the dash for somega reason. Plus the steering wheel controls are smaller, so harder to use and it just looks very bare-bones overall, nothing very interesting is going on.

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
I like 'em! It looks more like it's bigger brother, which is always a good thing. I love the "halo" tails, and I hope that either Mazda or an aftermarket supplier creates a similar set for the 6. The interior is definitely a HUGE step above any other econoboxes, at least in pics. I'll have to see the car itself in-person to make a final call, but the pics look very promising.

One small thing: If Mazda can get the front license plate to work outside the grill on the 6, then why do they leave it inside the grill on the 3? I'm NO fan of that detail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The slightly added length really gives the back breathing room. The current gen one always looked "cut-off" to me and made the back a bit ugly. Plus it should give a bit extra leg and headroom. The torsion beam is a step down on paper but I'll wait for what reviewers like Redline Reviews say about driving with it.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The fact Mazda 3 has AWD option now, tells me the 2020 Mazda 6 for sure will have to have that option too, since CX5, CX9 and now Mazda 3 has it. Just hoping to see a 2 door Mazda 6 coupe, that's been rumored for so long, lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 2019 infotainment seems like a step back. The screen is bigger but the touchscreen is disabled. Is this the new direction of Mazda? Also the bezels seem thicker.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
The 2019 infotainment seems like a step back. The screen is bigger but the touchscreen is disabled. Is this the new direction of Mazda? Also the bezels seem thicker.
Its probably a form of cost cutting, which I'm totally fine with given the other high quality touches they are spending money on. Ain't cheap to create those tight panel tolerances and shapes. That said I like the more minimalist home menu.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Its probably a form of cost cutting, which I'm totally fine with given the other high quality touches they are spending money on. Ain't cheap to create those tight panel tolerances and shapes. That said I like the more minimalist home menu.
I agree. I've owned my 6 for a month and I am already not using the touch screen at all. Bonus: nice not having fingerprints on the screen to clean up.

However - those menu buttons around the center console infotainment control stick/knob (whatever you call it), instead of the black buttons and illuminated icons, I would like to see it reversed. Light up the buttons and leave the icon black. At night when I am driving and trying to get a finger on the right menu icon, my finger blocks out too many of the button icons in the dark and I miss the intended button. Might be a little challenging to do such that it looks good in both daylight and night time, but there has to be a way.

·
Registered
440 Posts
On a related note, with the surprise addition of the 3's AWD, it seems to me that AWD on the next 6 is all but guaranteed. If Mazda was to offer a wagon version in the US (maybe with turbo, and very hopefully with a manual) with AWD, the Outback and Sportwagen/Alltrack may as well start packing their bags! A wagon would swipe sales from Audi and Volvo's wagons based on looks alone.

One can dream...

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
On a related note, with the surprise addition of the 3's AWD, it seems to me that AWD on the next 6 is all but guaranteed. If Mazda was to offer a wagon version in the US (maybe with turbo, and very hopefully with a manual) with AWD, the Outback and Sportwagen/Alltrack may as well start packing their bags! A wagon would swipe sales from Audi and Volvo's wagons based on looks alone.

One can dream...

FWIW it's a mighty fine dream. AWD is very possible. A wagon... less so. Manual transmission... forget it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
FWIW it's a mighty fine dream. AWD is very possible. A wagon... less so. Manual transmission... forget it.
Don't tell me how to dream my dream! 🙂

·
Registered
156 Posts
Disappointed the Skyactiv-X engine isn't available - I thought the general assumption was that it would be the base engine (or even the only engine) at introduction. They're not even making any promises: "Later in the 3's run, a new Skyactiv-X inline-four with Mazda's compression-ignition-capable tech will join the lineup promising significantly improved fuel economy." That could be years from now.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Ditto. They would have likely sold me one if it was; while I like the F/E on my "6" to get right up at 50mpg on the highway would prompt me to change considering that I've thrown roughly $11k in the tank on my "6" thus far in its life!

So yeah, for someone who drives as much as I do it makes a LARGE difference in total cost of ownership.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Disappointed the Skyactiv-X engine isn't available - I thought the general assumption was that it would be the base engine (or even the only engine) at introduction. They're not even making any promises: "Later in the 3's run, a new Skyactiv-X inline-four with Mazda's compression-ignition-capable tech will join the lineup promising significantly improved fuel economy." That could be years from now.
I think "years" is a bit of an overstatement. I trust it will be out later in the year. Probably September. My guess is that Mazda is testing the hell out of this engine. Think about it. Coming out with a new gas design like this is a big gamble. Especially when competitors are focused on electrification. If Skyactiv X isnt "perfect" it will kill Mazda's long-term goal of continuing to make gas power a viable and economical option. This small comapny is betting a lot on Skyactiv X, so totally understandable that they will take as much time as they need to make sure it isn't a dud. IMO

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
That, yes.

It's a "bet the company" sort of gamble for Mazda, in at least one regard -- while failure will likely take them out of the sedan market, success could trivially kill ALL of the EV players and give MAZDA the market.

I'm not kidding. An honest 50mpg highway vehicle that runs on regular pump gas, is nice to drive and doesn't come with serious maintenance headaches and liabilities (e.g. is as reliable and functional as the existing Sky-G) would utterly detonate demand for virtually all non-superluxury EVs.

Tesla's "3" dies immediately as the TCO on this thing would blow any existing or planned EVs out of the water with zero range related issues as all EVs have. It removes any issues with CAFE compliance at the same time.

In short Mazda could basically own the sedan market. Yes, it's a shrinking market but if you kill all the other guys outright then there's plenty remaining for the last guy standing to make a whole bunch of money. If the engine not only works as expected but *scales* then you can stick a six-cylinder version in the midsize SUVs (e.g. CX-5) and destroy the competition there too with an honest 40mpg offering (it'll be lower due to the higher profile and worse cD, but 40 ought to be achievable in the CX-5 chassis) plus you have an engine that will work in the CX-9 (in the six-cylinder config) and destroy all of the larger SUV-style offerings on fuel burn as well.

It's a hell of a gamble but a really, really good one if it works.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
31 Participants
ocramida
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing