Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know this is a 6 forum and all but I just wanted to hear everyone’s opinion on the new Mazda3 set to reveal on 11/27. It will feature that new skyactiv-x engine. I think it is cool and innovative to see a company push boundaries. I was going to order a 6 Signature in spring but depending what this new Mazda3 has I might have to wait for the new generation Mazda6. Thanks in advance for the input, attached is a link to the Mazda3 teaser. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2019-mazda-3-teaser-video

·
Registered
639 Posts
The new Mazda 3 looks great! However, the "executive look" of the 6 is very appealing for me that I won't exchange this for the 3.

·
Registered
451 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice looking for sure. I just needed a bigger car for carting around clients on occasion, so the 3 didn't quite make it. However, I don't much care for how cars are getting harder and harder to see out of. Yeah, BSM and 360 cams, but... I guess I prefer to rely on my own eyes first and foremost. I'll miss my Forester for that reason - amazing views of the road and almost no blind spots at all. You could see almost everything with a slight head turn and looking into the huge sideview mirrors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like the look of that. The current 3 doesn't do that much for me, but you do see a zillion of them around. It's interesting how Mazda manages to sell so many 3s and so many CX-5s, but has a hard time selling the 6.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I like the look of that. The current 3 doesn't do that much for me, but you do see a zillion of them around. It's interesting how Mazda manages to sell so many 3s and so many CX-5s, but has a hard time selling the 6.
It seems that the mainstream variant is the 3. If someone is considering the 6, the CX-5 gets the attention because of it's higher ground clearance.

I don't know to others but at least in our place, SUVs are the number one selling vehicle.

One thing "I don't like" with the 6, it just looks like a bigger version of the 3. Even the interior is almost the same. You need a "trained" eye to distinguish it right away from the 3.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Getting in/out of the 6 is difficult than other sedans as you have to bend quite a bit, I didn't think much about it until I tore my hamstring.

I can tell the 3 from the 6, the rear end of the 3 sedan looks ugly like it's chopped in half.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Mazda 3 in these pictures looks so appealing, I hope that the next Mazda 6 will even look better than the 2018 model (which is a blessed facelift).

·
Registered
521 Posts
Getting in/out of the 6 is difficult than other sedans as you have to bend quite a bit, I didn't think much about it until I tore my hamstring.

I can tell the 3 from the 6, the rear end of the 3 sedan looks ugly like it's chopped in half.
I know looks are very subjective but to my eyes except for the Mazda6 and perhaps the CX9, rest of their lineup looks pretty conservative and plain. The Mazda 3 in its sedan form has to be the ugly duckling of the family with a rather gaudy grille and a rear that looks like an afterthought. Hated how CX5 looked from the front as well until they designed it and made it a bit more subtle and easy on eyes.

If these spy shots of 2019 mazda3 are anything to go by then its a huge improvement over the current generation mazda3 in my opinion.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The new 3 gets awd and the base engine is now the 2.5L. Anyone think an awd 6 or the 2.5T being dropped to the base model is a possibility for the future?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would love AWD. It's really the one thing I wanted that I gave up on when I bought my 2018 6. I did not care for a turbo, and I wanted a MT, so the 6 sport was a good fit for me. But I long for AWD. However, with AWD I would have to see the performance of sky-X in a NA engine. AWD adds weight.

I feel the 2.5 NA engine works just fine, even amply well, with my MT. An AWD would more likely demand a turbo. Not sure how that fuel economy would come out. I got 38mpg highway coming home from AZ over Thanksgiving. I'd hate to have to give much of that up. Fuel economy was the reason I let go of my AWD turbo last month, opting for the 6 instead.

I watched the reveal tonight of the new 3. I bought a Gen1 3s sedan in 2003. I feel the Gen 1 sedans were more beautiful than the hatches. However, that moderated in Gen2 and flipped decidedly in Gen3. Its hatches were much prettier than those sedans. I think Gen4 turns that around a bit. They've fixed the sedan design now.

I was struck, almost surprised, by the fact that the Gen4 3 sedan seems to have taken several cues from the latest 6. Long hood/bonnet, black chainmail-esque grille, front end character lines. I like the back end on the new 3 a bit better than my 6, particularly that there is no molded-in spoiler-ish bumpout on the trunk lid. But apart from that, I think it's not significantly more aesthetically pleasing than the latest 6. Have to see one in person to validate that, though.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Unveiling

https://youtu.be/xDEE1Lg0BQk

I find it funny that people criticize Mazda's focus on Japanese culture and the human and natural qualities they pull inspiration from. I suppose people have just grown jaded given that the majority of marketing is superficial hyperbole. I find Mazda's passion refreshing and genuine. IMO

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
521 Posts
I love the rear and the interiors look class leading by some margin. Somehow the front of the car and those huge C pillars looks off to my eyes. The front just drops abruptly from rest of the body and those slim headlights accentuates the almost flat look. There's also too much body on the C pillar, and those windows looks like visibility has been compromised. Again, looks are subjective, i'm sure there are others who'll dig how this car looks.

Glad to see mazda, Honda and Toyota continue to improve these sub-25k cars and offer manual trans as an option. AWD is refreshing to hear in this segment and i'm sure it'll trickle down to the Mazda6 in 2020. I just hope they'll have one last mazdaspeed for both 3 and 6 before we all go electric/full hybrid.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’m really digging the looks too. I love the interior, the rear of the sedan and the fact that it has AWD. Mazda is really continuing to do well. Even though sedans aren’t selling well in the US, I’m hoping Mazda brings the interior and design along with AWD over to the Mazda6 in the next year or two.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not a fan of the hatchback at all. Especially the back section of it. I know it's more expensive to do lines on body panels, but the hatchback just looks like it's severely missing something.
The sedan on the other hand looks fantastic! Very Mazda6-ish and the back actually looks really good with those taillights. The interior of both is super nice though. I'm actually really surprised to see Mazda went that far out on the interior. I'm also seeing a new infotainment system in there judging by the new HMI and wider screen. ;) The commander knob is also larger. All very reminiscent of BMW's upcoming from CIC...

The AWD alone makes me want to take this for a test drive! Hoping in a couple years the next gen 6 will follow through as well (or facelift with the new infotainment at least)!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Fantastic looking car. There's no news on trims, but I'm hoping Mazda offers a manual/AWD/SkyActivX option. I have a feeling the manual might be on the base engine only, or not available with AWD.

Regardless, the Subaru Impreza should be very, VERY worried.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts