Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a brand new Mazda 6 GT 2019 2 months ago - currently, it is under 1000 miles. Over the last 2 days, I've been experiencing jerky acceleration every time I step on the gas even around 2k rpm. It's hyper-responsive.. almost feels like I'm on sport mode all the time when I'm on regular mode. I've test driven an Audi 4 previously - and it's got a similar feeling. I might have experienced this for a split second once a few weeks ago when my tank was near empty for a few seconds but that's about it.

I have to admit this part I never tested when the car was functioning "normally" - but when I step on the gas hard all the way now, there's a significant delay. It doesn't accelerate immediately.. and makes a loud revving up noise before beginning to accelerate. Not sure if this is an expected feature with the Sky-Active engine or not.

The concern is this was never an issue for the last 2 months. I can't imagine a new car suddenly experiencing problems. Only change experienced recently is I made a 120 mile trip this past weekend where I filled up at a new gas station - I usually put in regular gas. I did the same this time. Other than this, no other changes.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Here are my guesses.

1st off it sounds like a transmission issue.

How have you been driving the car? Are you easing it off the line, taking it easy during the break in? The trans "learns" our driving style. If you've been babying it and now all of a sudden stomping on it the trans is being fooled. at least for now and is taking a few extra moments to hunt for the right gear. The other thing you might be noticing is the turbo lag (even though there isn't much) if you've been driving easy and now stomping on it.

Before I continue on, how have you been driving it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually drive 20 miles total a day .. basically to and back from work 5 days a week - mostly freeway 55mph tops. Same route.
This past weekend I took my first long trip - 120+ miles in a day - now up to 70/75mph on the highway.

The stepping on the gas thing was more of a test. I just pushed on it as hard as I could for a sec - never done this before , and it revved like crazy for a few seconds before moving forward. Again I've never driven a sport type model before.

Didn't experience much of the lag/jerkiness today for some reason - but it did feel different in general than in the past - more sporty, kinda like I'm on sport mode all the time, which feels kind of nice in a way.. but also louder when accelerating. It used to be pretty quiet before. Perhaps this is a normal process or "learning" like you mentioned

·
Registered
679 Posts
I usually drive 20 miles total a day .. basically to and back from work 5 days a week - mostly freeway 55mph tops. Same route.
This past weekend I took my first long trip - 120+ miles in a day - now up to 70/75mph on the highway.

The stepping on the gas thing was more of a test. I just pushed on it as hard as I could for a sec - never done this before , and it revved like crazy for a few seconds before moving forward. Again I've never driven a sport type model before.

Didn't experience much of the lag/jerkiness today for some reason - but it did feel different in general than in the past - more sporty, kinda like I'm on sport mode all the time, which feels kind of nice in a way.. but also louder when accelerating. It used to be pretty quiet before. Perhaps this is a normal process or "learning" like you mentioned

I think this is what's happening. The car learns your driving style in an attempt to maximize it. You threw it a curve ball and it was a swing and a miss. The tranny was caught off guard and needed a moment to figure out what was happening
Just keep driving it the way you want, it will adapt and I think you'll find it will be just fine. Varying the way you drive will help in regards to learning the different ways you drive it.

Mix it up and see how it treats you over the next 1K miles. If it continues to struggle hunting gears, disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and starting the learn process over may be what's needed to speed up the re learning process. Also double check with the dealer to be sure there is not a TSB that may need applied also.

Any trouble beyond that make an appt. with the service dept and take it in voicing your concerns.

Would be great if you'd keep this thread updated as well. :)

Best of luck. You have yourself a really nice car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
m6car
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing