Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I done did it.... Traded my 2016 Meteor Gray GT for a Machine Gray GT Reserve. Had it for about 5 days now / 200 miles. Here are some of my initial observations. Feel free to ask any questions. I’ll try to post a few more pics later this week. LMK if there’s anything in particular you want to see.

Miscellaneous comments....

I haven’t really pushed the engine yet but I can feel the difference even at low RPMs. No turbo lag. Just a strong pull from a standstill.

We live in a rural area so there are plenty of fun roads right around me. The same roads I pushed my 2016 on, the 2018 is on. The 2018 is quieter and feels softer but the seat of my pants tells me it handles just as well.

I was uncertain about the Machine Gray at first but after having it for a few days and seeing it in different lights it’s really impressed me. At certain angels in the sun it looks almost silver. Other times it looks dark gray. Overall it looks like “pewter” compared to the darker Meteor Gray. I’ve seen none of the brownish tones that I saw previously. Looking at a single panel you won’t see much metallic flake but rather to get the best effect stand back from the car to see how the color changes on different surfaces

The mesh grill will be a nightmare to clean bugs out of. Bleah....

The ventilated seats are awesome!

The stereo sounds better to my ears. The tweeters in the sail panels pull the sound backwards off the dashboard and imaging sounds much better. Even in center point mode the sound is not focused dead center above the dash...it’s had a much wider sound stage. Bass seems better which can probably be attributed to the tighter, quieter interior.

For anyone with a car seat, the repositioned anchors with covers are MUCH easier to use.

Your 2016 all weather floor mats will fit the 2018. ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Please tell about:
1. The new seats are supposedly redesigned. How's the comfort compared to the 2016?
2. Notice any difference with the G-vectoring control?
3. What do you think of the new wheel design?
Thanks!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please tell about:
1. The new seats are supposedly redesigned. How's the comfort compared to the 2016?
2. Notice any difference with the G-vectoring control?
3. What do you think of the new wheel design?
Thanks!
The seats are great. The side bolsters are non existent compared to the 2016 but the overall comfort is much better. My wife commented right away they feel like the seats in her Lexus, both the comfort and the leather itself.

I completely forgot about the G-Vectoring. I usually trail brake or at the very least let up off the gas before a curve which is essentially what G-Vectoring does. Either it’s that transparent or my driving habits somehow overrrides it. Either way the car feels solid when going into a turn and the steering is nicely weighted and easy to modulate to hold a line.

I like the wheels. I liked the 2016 design better as they looked “lighter and more organic”. But in person the new wheels have some folds and depth that pictures don’t quite capture. What helps is the Brilliant Silver finish which accentuates the different areas of the wheel to reallly play on the design.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The seats are great. The side bolsters are non existent compared to the 2016 but the overall comfort is much better. My wife commented right away they feel like the seats in her Lexus, both the comfort and the leather itself.

I completely forgot about the G-Vectoring. I usually trail brake or at the very least let up off the gas before a curve which is essentially what G-Vectoring does. Either it’s that transparent or my driving habits somehow overrrides it. Either way the car feels solid when going into a turn and the steering is nicely weighted and easy to modulate to hold a line.

I like the wheels. I liked the 2016 design better as they looked “lighter and more organic”. But in person the new wheels have some folds and depth that pictures don’t quite capture. What helps is the Brilliant Silver finish which accentuates the different areas of the wheel to reallly play on the design.
I agree with the comments on wheel design. And it's actually been said by quite a few people -- pictures don't quite capture the depth that these wheels offer. That said, I still think I like the previous wheel design a little more. I have my spare set of bright silver '15 6GT wheels downstairs - mint, no peeling. I'll probably throw those on a little later this year. Right now just enjoying the new ride as is (minus a couple things! haha)

·
Administrator
8,402 Posts
I had my mind set on the Deep Crystal Blue, but now, NO thanks to Trippp, I'm now also considering Machine Gray... :p

·
Registered
128 Posts
... Machine Gray GT Reserve... was uncertain about the Machine Gray at first but after having it for a few days and seeing it in different lights it’s really impressed me. At certain angels in the sun it looks almost silver. Other times it looks dark gray. Overall it looks like “pewter” compared to the darker Meatlr Gray. I’ve seen none of the brownish tones that I saw previously. Looking at a single panel you won’t see much metallic flake but rather to get the best effect stand back from the car to see how the color changes on different surfaces...
A fascinating color. I noticed all that looking at it on the lot, day and night, in bright sun, overcast, HID lot lighting, and at night. At night it's black.
Apparently is it not quite the same as regular metallic.
https://www.holidaymazda.com/blog/how-does-mazda-paint-its-cars/

I think the bright silver wheels begin on the GT-R. The GT has dark silver wheels, almost the same color as the Machine Gray paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
So Tripp what is your take on the lateral support of these seats? I'm really torn and winder if they need to brwak in a bit. I really love the way the 2016 seats hold me in and feel sporty, but I also like the ventilation with the new seats. Also do you feel like your sitting un or on the new seats? Of course boldy type has a huge bearing on my question. I did feel that the leather seats in a reserve felt more comlliant than the leatherette in a base GT. Maybe in my head though.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So Tripp what is your take on the lateral support of these seats? I'm really torn and winder if they need to brwak in a bit. I really love the way the 2016 seats hold me in and feel sporty, but I also like the ventilation with the new seats. Also do you feel like your sitting un or on the new seats? Of course boldy type has a huge bearing on my question. I did feel that the leather seats in a reserve felt more comlliant than the leatherette in a base GT. Maybe in my head though.
I barely have 200 miles on the odo so I’m sure the seats will break in more but so far so good. Also, I haven’t really tossed the car around too hard. The few times I have leaned into a corner, the bolsters are there to hold you - it’s just that they don’t hug you like the 2016 when you’re not cornering hard.

Overall the seats are a definite upgrade. They really are so comfortable. The extra padding and modified contours feel much more substantial than the 2016. They’re a good balance between firm and cushioned.

When I was testing driving and jumping back and forth between the 18 and my 16, I could tell the leather in the 18 was much nicer, too. It has a softer feel and smells really good. Even my 4 yr old said “It smells good in here, Daddy” :grin2:

A few more random thoughts:

The piano black trim looks sleek but it shows dust so bad! I put a swifter cloth in the glove box so I can hit the trim every so often.

The few times I have leaned into a corner, the tires don’t feel as grippy as my Contis were. Felt like there was a little bit of slip. I’ll be paying attention to this especially when I start to hit the throttle hard. There might be another set of Contis or Michelin Pilots in my future. But I’m anal like that. I’ve always put new tires on a new car within a few thousand miles of purchasing it.

Did I mention the ventilated seats were awesome? They are! The seat heaters in my ‘16 were so-so. They got the job done but didn’t fry my beans like some of my other cars did. I thought the performance would be weak again. The seat heaters and the ventilated seats work very well in the ‘18. The heaters work much better but I just realized I haven’t tried the rear seats yet... note to self. The ventilated seats pull air away from you to keep you cool rather than blow cool air at you and it’s very noticeable. Love them.

Stereo continues to impress. The tweeters moved to the doors, more pronounced bass, and some apparent retuning are very noticeable. The Bose in my 16 was good, not great. It was clear and sounded fine. But the new stereo’s sound and imaging are a huge improvement. You haven’t jammed until you’ve blasted “Puppy Dog Friends: Going On A Mission” ...

I installed the cargo net in the trunk. Easy job. Just need to be careful of the sharp metal after you drill out the holes but it wasn’t difficult at all. RANT: In my older Hondas, the threads on the net anchors perfectly fit the holes that the trim clips come out of, no drilling require. Pop the trim clips and twist in the anchors. Done! My later Hondas and Mazdas require drilling out the holes. Stupid...

Speaking of accessories, I ordered another set of the alloy pedals (footrest, brake, accelerator). Had them on my ‘16 and loved them. Passengers always commented on them. They’ll look especially good with the aluminum and silver trim in the ‘18. My local dealer priced matched the Mazda Gear discount (15%) so I paid $195 for the set.

Next mod, I want to swap out the map lights front & rear and trunk light with LEDs. Everything else on the car (puddle lights in all 4 doors, even the reverse lights) are LED so this will make things consistent. I have to see if there’s a light in the glove box.

New headlights work really well at night. LOVE LOVE LOVE auto high beam control! Thought it sounded kind of gimmicky but it works well. Driving on rural roads near our home I try to keep high beams on as much as possible to help see critters. I tried it out the other night and was impressed.

Speaking of lights... anyone with a Signature: Is there accent lighting in the foot wells and under the front seats for the rear floor? A diagram in the owners manual indicated there were lights in those locations. Maybe another future mod :) ... but then again, there were supposed to be fog lights...

OK.. I’ve spent entirely too much time online. I have to get back to work... Ha!

·
Registered
680 Posts
I've noticed the seats are definitely starting to soften, mold. Nothing dramatic but noticeable. This is with almost a 1K on the car. Half of those miles are my wife who weighs 60lb's less than me. I've been driving this car as much as possible to get a good feel for it and break it in.

Yes, there is accent lighting in the areas you've mentioned. The brightness is adjustable. I'd call it a bluish/white in color. Check in your settings to see if the adjustment is there. It's possible they're just turned off?

The fog lights are there they're just turned on with the DRL's. If you don't want them on the dealer (only) can turn them off and then you can control the on/off of the fogs which are located in with the headlights.

·
Administrator
8,402 Posts
Overall the seats are a definite upgrade. They really are so comfortable. The extra padding and modified contours feel much more substantial than the 2016. They’re a good balance between firm and cushioned.
If they're half as good as my 8-year, 125K mile-old leather seats are, I'll be ecstatic! I've driven 10-hour road trips, and I've never felt fatigued or sore from the driver's seat. They're as comfortable and supportive as the day I drove it off the new-car lot.

I've driven the 3rd-gen a few different times, and I felt a little TOO snug in the seats due to the side bolsters, so I'm looking forward to what the '18s feel like.
Did I mention the ventilated seats were awesome? They are!...The ventilated seats pull air away from you to keep you cool rather than blow cool air at you and it’s very noticeable. Love them.
I'm looking forward to them as well... :)
Speaking of lights... anyone with a Signature: Is there accent lighting in the foot wells and under the front seats for the rear floor? A diagram in the owners manual indicated there were lights in those locations. Maybe another future mod :)
Yes, there is accent lighting in the areas you've mentioned. The brightness is adjustable. I'd call it a bluish/white in color. Check in your settings to see if the adjustment is there. It's possible they're just turned off?
IIRC, the footwell lighting was an added feature on the Signature, but not on the Reserve. I couldn't care any less about them myself... :p

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’ve had my first couple of experiences with auto braking.

Radar Cruise - There’s a 3 mile stretch of road on the way to daycare that goes up and down between 35mph and 55mph hour. ALWAYS visible cops clocking speed. Lots of traffic. I’m very conscious of my speed and often use cruise control to make sure I don’t go over the limit. I set cruise on 55 not realizing MRCC is on by default. There was a long line of traffic of ahead of me. As we neared the 35 zone traffic slowed ... and so did my car. :grin2: I assumed I hit the cancel button without thinking like I’ve done a thousand times on this stretch and realized it was the MRCC maintaining the distance to the car in front of me. Sho’nuff when the speed limit went back up to 55 my speed increased as the cars ahead of me did. The nerd in me geeked out. I kept my foot hovering over the brake the entire time

I never intended to ever use radar cruise. I’m usually one of the, um, speedier people on the road so I maintain my speed, pass as needed, and never just lull behind anyone. But this was kind of neat. I’m not sure I’ll ever use it on the highway. I don’t want myself to get into the habit of trusting these nannies. I will however play with it in some of these low speed situations just because it is kind of cool.

Brake Warning - Crusing along the usual roads. 3 cars ahead of me. Apparently the first person almost missed his turn and slammed on the brakes. Common occurrence on rural roads as there aren’t a lot of visible landmarks to let you know when a cross road is ahead. I never tailgate but even so usually have to brake pretty firmly to keep a couple car lengths between me and the car ahead. Apparently I didn’t start to brake soon enough and BRAKE!!! starting flashing in red and white in the HUD. I almost didn’t brake because I was too busy processing the warning that was flashing in front of me... HA!.. ironic, no?

I think the warning went off when it did becuz the distance recognition was set to max distance. In this case, slower-ish speeds would have been better suited to a lesser distance setting. Something to think about. I’m leaving it set to max for now until I get more experience with the system. It makes me wonder if the car would have slammed on the brakes with too much distance ahead of me. When there’s traffic behind me, I’ll modulate my braking.. hard at first, then let up while I judge how much room is in front of me and how close the guy behind me is...braking slower or harder trying to prevent me from rear ending someone and from being rear ended. The car wouldn’t take all that into consideration. :|

Neat technology. A bit disconcerting. I guess ok when used responsibly. The nerd in me likes it.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
How are you acclimating to the new 6 overall? Any regrets? You probably havent had enough time to get through the honeymoon phase yet. :)

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 48 Posts