Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Not the MAF. Dealer re-confirmed dead cylinder. They are replacing the engine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not the MAF. Dealer re-confirmed dead cylinder. They are replacing the engine.
What is the reason for dead cylinder?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
How about carbon deposit issue?
Tech said it wasn't that bad so he was skeptical from the getgo that it would be the cause of the issues.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was told low compression.
Dang that's an oddball issue for such relatively low mileage (when following regular maintenance). I bet right about now you're glad you have all the proof of service from the dealer(s) so there's no debate about liability. At least it seems like now there should be some traction to wards actually resolving the problem.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Dang that's an oddball issue for such relatively low mileage (when following regular maintenance). I bet right about now you're glad you have all the proof of service from the dealer(s) so there's no debate about liability. At least it seems like now there should be some traction to wards actually resolving the problem.
Yeah, I have the folder full of service records ready. I am hoping this engine replacement gets rid of that annoying squeak sound when the car is first started, too. I've gotta say, I am very happy about the warranty coverage right now as I would have been on the hook for this if there wasn't an unlimited kilometre warranty.?

Reactions: bulwnkl

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah, I have the folder full of service records ready. I am hoping this engine replacement gets rid of that annoying squeak sound when the car is first started, too. I've gotta say, I am very happy about the warranty coverage right now as I would have been on the hook for this if there wasn't an unlimited kilometre warranty.?
Did you pay for extra for unlimited warranty?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Did you pay for extra for unlimited warranty?
No, it's the standard included warranty here in Canada...perfect for long commuters like myself.

Reactions: bulwnkl

·
Registered
238 Posts
That's outstanding to get an unlimited-miles warranty!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
That's outstanding to get an unlimited-miles warranty!
Note that "normal service" maintenance in Canada is 6 mo. / 8000km (5000 mi) oil and filter... i.e. more frequent / fewer miles than 'Stateside. I guess the increased service goes with the unlimited mileage warranty coverage...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yes, I’ve noticed that Canada, Puerto Rico, and Mexico are apparently all inherently ‘severe’ service markets, compared to the USA. I find that rather puzzling, but there it is. Too bad this was a problem that more-frequent oil changes couldn’t help prevent.

I note that the most common reason for low compression is carbon deposits in (fouling) the ring pack. Number two is probably actual wear, but often from either carbon deposits interfering with oil flow through the rings to the cylinder wall, or from fuel washing down the cylinder (as from a messed up or fouled injector).

Reactions: Cdn17Sport6MT

·
Registered
93 Posts
I bet Mazda will be tearing this engine down to investigate. It's not an issue I've read about elsewhere, even with the engine being in the CX-9s back to 2016(?)

Wonder if engine and car rolled off their respective assembly lines Fri @ 4:30

The only reason I have my oil changes done at a dealer (while under warranty) is for the off-chance that something like this would happen.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I bet Mazda will be tearing this engine down to investigate. It's not an issue I've read about elsewhere, even with the engine being in the CX-9s back to 2016(?)

Wonder if engine and car rolled off their respective assembly lines Fri @ 4:30

The only reason I have my oil changes done at a dealer (while under warranty) is for the off-chance that something like this would happen.
I am betting so. I've had a few issues with the car, so I, too, wonder if it's a end-of-the-day Friday car :/

I will say not once was I asked for service records as the dealer has access to just about all of them, plus they know how meticulous I am with it. I have everything, anyways, if it does come up.

Interestingly, the dealer said they had a similar issue with a CX9 with the same engine awhile ago and they ended up replacing the engine in that rig, too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you are aware that your engine is misfiring I would strongly recommend that you dont continue to drive the car and worsen the situation. Its definetely a simply fix such as a new ignition coil or maybe an injector. I don't see why the process should be complicated or expensive. In all honesty I would have just tried to fix the misfire myself while saving myself the hassle of driving 2 hours and probably a good amount of money too..

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
If you are aware that your engine is misfiring I would strongly recommend that you dont continue to drive the car and worsen the situation. Its definetely a simply fix such as a new ignition coil or maybe an injector. I don't see why the process should be complicated or expensive. In all honesty I would have just tried to fix the misfire myself while saving myself the hassle of driving 2 hours and probably a good amount of money too..
The engine was replaced. I was providing an update.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts