Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, Just thought I'd share the latest with my 6.

Current mileage is 105,000kms.

Condition has degraded drastically. Car is now sputtering bad when stopped in drive, feels like it's going to stall. Idling low at 500-600 rpm. I have a check engine light now and it's throwing Misfire in cylinder#2 code. Has been to dealer 3 times for diagnosis for this issue and another (OCV leak). You can feel one cylinder is misfiring as there is a methodical thump in the whole car when it's idling. Seems ok when driving at speed, though. They ran a scope into the engine today to check for carbon build up due to direct injection, my guess is that's the latest fix they are going to try (carbon cleaning). So far I've been told car needed a new injector, needed new spark plug as the current one was cracked, and also told engine may need to be completely replaced. Currently awaiting next step instructions from Mazda Canada.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Sad to hear about all the troubles you have and had with your car. I hope you get the fix for this soon.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The good news is this dealer has been great to work with. They are actually the dealer who sold me the car. I feel like they are advocating for me in this process. It sucks they are 2 hours from my house, though :/

I am hoping that most of the car's engine/transmission issues are related to this misfire. If the car has been running that rough for this long and I am only getting that thump/rough idle sensation, that is impressive from a engine vibration isolation point of view.
I took out a new 3 AWD hatch as the dealer is offering me a reasonable trade amount for my 6...but I really do enjoy the 6 that much more. I'd rather stick with the 6 for the time being because it is still a very nice car, even with all these issues.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I took out a new 3 AWD hatch as the dealer is offering me a reasonable trade amount for my 6...
This is good news indeed. I hope you get the best offer if another "6" is available.

You might want to consider the new one being offered, to "eliminate the headache" of your current car.

I don't think you are financially "tight", but rather an able person to finance a new car so you can give a thought about it.

I hope the best.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sorry to hear of all the troubles you’re having, OP. I’m glad the dealer is good to work with.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The good news is this dealer has been great to work with. They are actually the dealer who sold me the car. I feel like they are advocating for me in this process. It sucks they are 2 hours from my house, though :/

I am hoping that most of the car's engine/transmission issues are related to this misfire. If the car has been running that rough for this long and I am only getting that thump/rough idle sensation, that is impressive from a engine vibration isolation point of view.
I took out a new 3 AWD hatch as the dealer is offering me a reasonable trade amount for my 6...but I really do enjoy the 6 that much more. I'd rather stick with the 6 for the time being because it is still a very nice car, even with all these issues.
A Signature 6 has quite a bit more power than the 2.5 3, which is now saddled with an even heavier AWD system. It must feel downright pokey compared to a Signature.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Having a dealer be good to work with you is half the battle.

Hoping you get sorted.

A cracked / bad plug could certainly cause issues. But if that were truly the cause it would be an almost immediate remedy. I'm surprised they're not throwing a new coil at it too, if they're trying to repair. If they're going to replace the whole thing she must really be FUBAR inside. Or they really want it for a case study.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
A Signature 6 has quite a bit more power than the 2.5 3, which is now saddled with an even heavier AWD system. It must feel downright pokey compared to a Signature.
I think you do NOT want to consider a non-turbo Mazda these days. They have Cylinder Deactivation... wherein they go from 4 cyl. operation to 2 cyl. operation. Experiencing BIG prbs in 2019 & 2020 Mazda3's... evident at www.mazda3revolution.com. I personally would not consider a Mazda3 after 2018 model year... and indeed I would not consider a nonturbo Mazda6 for 2018 onwards. I hav not actually heard of Mazda6 prbs with this system though. I am fundamentally opposed to the concept, however. It offends my "mechanical harmony" sense as a mechanical engineer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Speaking from experience you should definitely have the dealership look closely and replace the air flow sensor. My car suffered from the same symptoms as yours poor idle 500-600, cylinder misfires, and would randomly stall at stop lights. Make sure they use oem mazda parts and not some off brand. Best of luck to you. Thank me later.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Speaking from experience you should definitely have the dealership look closely and replace the air flow sensor. My car suffered from the same symptoms as yours poor idle 500-600, cylinder misfires, and would randomly stall at stop lights. Make sure they use oem mazda parts and not some off brand. Best of luck to you. Thank me later.
If the spark plugs and coil packs were replace but didn’t resolve the issue then work your way to the airflow sensor. Process of elimination. My guess is still a faulty afs.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh it did, but it felt fine enough. I didn't get it out for a good highway run, which is where I know I would notice the power difference.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the spark plugs and coil packs were replace but didn’t resolve the issue then work your way to the airflow sensor. Process of elimination. My guess is still a faulty afs.
This is great information. I will pass it on to the dealer. Thank you.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think you do NOT want to consider a non-turbo Mazda these days. They have Cylinder Deactivation... wherein they go from 4 cyl. operation to 2 cyl. operation. Experiencing BIG prbs in 2019 & 2020 Mazda3's... evident at www.mazda3revolution.com. I personally would not consider a Mazda3 after 2018 model year... and indeed I would not consider a nonturbo Mazda6 for 2018 onwards. I hav not actually heard of Mazda6 prbs with this system though. I am fundamentally opposed to the concept, however. It offends my "mechanical harmony" sense as a mechanical engineer.
I've been reading about this and thought the update fixed the issues? Curious why you're opposed to the idea of CD?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I've been reading about this and thought the update fixed the issues? Curious why you're opposed to the idea of CD?
Issue has not been fixed... in the Mazda3. Some notable examples of vibration between 80 and 95 kmh. Now I realize we are on a Mazda6 forum, but... I don't like CD - especially on a 4 cyl. 'cuz the power inpulses (2 cyl. mode) are not balanced and regular as they would be in 4 cyl. mode, heating and cyl wear due to combustion (or no combustion) is not balanced and uniform, 4 cylinder balance (poor as it is compared to an in-line 6) is further impaired ... in 2 cyl mode, past reliability history with other mfrs' systems has been poor, added complication (i like simple). Bunch of things like that...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Mazda very likely had to go to special engine mounts to deal with vibration... and on the A/T models had to go with a special flywheel / flex plate to ease vibration on 4 cyl / 2 cyl / vice versa transition... Not sure how the latter is dealt with on the 6mt model.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Issue has not been fixed... in the Mazda3. Some notable examples of vibration between 80 and 95 kmh. Now I realize we are on a Mazda6 forum, but... I don't like CD - especially on a 4 cyl. 'cuz the power inpulses (2 cyl. mode) are not balanced and regular as they would be in 4 cyl. mode, heating and cyl wear due to combustion (or no combustion) is not balanced and uniform, 4 cylinder balance (poor as it is compared to an in-line 6) is further impaired ... in 2 cyl mode, past reliability history with other mfrs' systems has been poor, added complication (i like simple). Bunch of things like that...
Now that you explained it, I think I no longer like that cylinder deactivation. Add to what you just said, the deactivated cylinder will be "colder" compared to the active ones and I doubt the jacket water is rerouted or controlled so that all cylinders will have the same temperature.

I think it will introduce unnecessary stress overall with the unbalanced heat, just like in the rotary engine. I might be wrong though, particularly on my use of simile.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's funny you say that you like simple, I feel the same way. The older I get the more appreciation I have for simple things that just work. I know the pressures auto manufacturers, like Mazda, are under to get the most fuel efficiency out of their products is driving them to take risks re: technology. I am surprised at the hiccups with the new Mazda 3, I really thought Mazda was above that. I would be looking at Toyota Camry with their NA v6 but they don't offer the warranty Mazda does, and if I was to purchase an extended warranty it would be a lot of extra money.

Having said that, I do really enjoy the turbo engine which is much more enjoyable to drive than the NA 2.5 engine.
I guess when something is done right, it's seamless, when it's rushed or not as much time is taken to get the kinks out of it, it's frustrating and annoying.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts