Mazda 6 Forums banner

2018 Signature engine squeak/chirp when cold started

10K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  TheWanderingBear 
#1 ·
Hi there,

My car is making the oddest sound when first starting in the morning.
After about a minute after engine is started, it makes this brief high pitched chirp/squeak noise. Sounds like a belt engaging but I don't think that's what it is. Car does the noise regardless if AC system is on or off. I was thinking it was the AC compressor kicking in but it does it with the AC off, so I don't think that's it.

Was reading on a Mazda3 forum about a high pressure fuel valve but there were no videos of the sound for me to see if it was comparable.

Here's a video I captured of it this morning. It does this noise every time it's started after sitting for an extended amount of time (2-3 hours). Car does it whether I sit and idle or if I start driving immediately...

Anyone else have this same noise in their rig?

#2 ·
I don't think I have the same sound as yours. Those Mazda guys said that it could be the auto tensioner, I mentioned this on the other thread.

I remember our CR-V 98, and the problem was the A/C clutch bearing. It doesn't matter if it's engaged or not since it is always turning and so I was hearing the intermittent sound back then.

#3 ·
What I find strange is it does the noise once only and at the same time affer starting. About a minute or so. That makes me think something is timed.

What engine system would activate about a minute after starting?

The car has been parked for over 3 hours tonight and the engine was still quite warm and it didn’t do the noise when I tried just a few minutes ago.
I will get an engine video tomorrow morning and see if I can pinpoint where it’s coming from.

#5 ·
Thinking out loud... can't hear it, the speakers on this laptop are not great, that and my hearing isn't as good as it once was...

Thermostat
Belt
Auto tension - as mentioned
water pump
Turbo wastegate

Do you have the climate control set to Auto?
AC compressor clutch
Blend door

Guessing you'd probably have to leave it at the dealer overnight and then (you) start it for them the next morning to replicate for them.

#6 ·
It did it again this morning. About 45 seconds after cold start. No AC, No Climate system on...all systems off.

I've got an engine video which I will post in the next few day (just away on work).

#7 ·
Another video. This one is taken right after start up, noise happens at 41 second mark. You can hear the cold start rapid warm up system turn off and the idle settle. Car idles at the cold elevated idle for a period of time and then the "squeak" noise.

#10 ·
Another video. This one is taken right after start up, noise happens at 41 second mark. You can hear the cold start rapid warm up system turn off and the idle settle. Car idles at the cold elevated idle for a period of time and then the "squeak" noise.

https://youtu.be/tpZnN59pSYo
Is your car still under warranty? You can present this video to them. I don't like the sound, sound's like hitting a metal.

#13 ·
Has there been any updates for this?

I’ve not heard this noise from my 2019. I’m curious to what is causing it though.

I don’t know if it would help but have you tried a slow motion video? On most or all phones with slow motion video the sound is also slowed down.

#14 ·
Car has been at the dealer since last Friday getting some things looked at (ripped seat due to Technician damage, broken seat trim replacement, engine squeak)
Latest on this squeak is that it's affiliated with the Air Con. system and there is nothing they can do. Although they all say it's not normal. They replaced some "valves" but I will have to get some more detail on that when I pick the car up today.
I am getting so tired of this response on the issues I am having with this car.

This is now two items which have been refused repair by Mazda. Two issues numerous Mazda Technicians have said are not right and something is wrong but Mazda Canada is saying that operationally, it works, so no repair is required.

#15 ·
Additional update. Picked up my car on Friday.
Doesn't sound like the Technician working on my car had any background information on the situation so that may explain why they thought it was the AC system. Pretty sure it's not AC as the Tech. attempted to demonstrate to me that it was the AC system (started car without AC system on) and it still did the noise, so at some point when I have the car in for more work they are going to look at it again.

Also, something new is now broken. Plastic engine cover now has a broken bracket so they've ordered a new one to replace it.

The good news is the seat trim was replaced but I will update the other thread on that.

#19 ·
Make sure you notify your local dealership of the issue as the more people raise the issue, the better chance it gets identified. I am still waiting to hear from the Regional representative on next steps with this issue.
I can confirm it is NOT the AC system...nor the valves they replaced, the work order is still open so I haven't received anything yet for records of what they did for repairs/troubleshooting.

#21 ·
I purchased a 2018 cx-9 march 8th 2019 and 4 months after this exact same noise started happening, they have replaced all belts, ac , alternator & exhaust manifold saying these were the problems. Every thing they have done the noise returns .. fast forward now year 2 owing the car mazda canada approved a full engine replacement! Engine was replaced in September 2020 and 3 months later the noise has returned! No one knows why the noise continues to come back and now the dealership I purchased the vehicle through has refused all services with my car due to "customer dissatisfaction" we'll yes I am dissatisfied because the problem is still there !

I dont know how to upload the video of the exhaust manifold they took out of my car to show you the noise! 🤷‍♀️

#24 ·
My 2020 CX5 is starting to do this noise now...Anyone get confirmation on what it actually was? @Jessica Calado anything further from you on this?

#25 ·
Nothing further because the dealership I purchased the vehicle thru has refused any and all service,warranty,repair or defective parts to be replaced. And the only other mazda dealership won't work on the car either 🤷‍♀️ mazda canada has been no help in this situation as they keep saying "we have never had to deal with this before"

All I know is it is the butterfly valve on the exhaust manifold if you look at my previous reply you will see a link to the video with the exhaust manifold they removed from my vehicle making the noise.
I hope you get more help than I did.. now I'm stuck with the noise unless I pay a lawyer 🤦‍♀️

#28 ·
I hate to bring up a older thread. But my car has just began doing it. 2020 Mazda6 Signature at 20,000km.

I can actually pinpoint the time it started, it began after a long drive. I started the car after it sat for about 4 hours. I came back and as I was driving (A/C on) I heard this weird squeal/chirp while driving in-between two rock faces. I figured it was dust/dirt/rocks from the area I was in.

But the sound continued. but its not consistent but it is intermediate. It doesn't happen at first start of the car. It happens only after driving for 2-3 minutes.

I know its been discussed about it not being the AC. But when I got home, I turned my AC off and on and it did it immediately after. So i did the AC on and off and again it did it. But after the third time it wont do it anymore via the button. I cant replicate it again so far that way but it did happen twice turning the AC off and on.

its starting to get annoying because I had people driving beside me that heard it and they said it was loud like a creaking spring.

Anyone figure it out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.