Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I've got another noise.

Just wondering if anyone else's car is doing the same thing.

My '18 Signature 6 is making a high pitched squeak noise when turning the steering wheel and the turning indicator is on. It sounds to me like it's the mechanism that triggers the turning indicator stalk to click back to the rest position. Noise is a sort of a high pitched, plastic on plastic sound. No squeak when turning steering wheel and the turning indicator is off.

It took me a bit to figure out where exactly the sound was coming from.

I will get a video of it eventually and post.

I've looked around a bit on here and on other forums and it seems to occur on other Mazda's as well but not sure if it's the same noise as it seems to be occurring regardless if the turning indicator is off or on for others with older cars, which is different than my situation.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You're a saint man. I have so much empathy for you and the crap you're dealing with. Sounds my Chevy Cruze all over again. Not a lemon, but good Lord the problems were endless.

What's worse is this is a really nice car...ugh. sorry man - no issues with that on my end

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found a video on YouTube of a CX5 doing the exact same thing.
https://youtu.be/40-Eiyozzgw

Dealer says it's a defective clock spring, so they have ordered the part.

The CX5 owner said they replaced his clock spring and the turning stalk and it didn't fix the issue.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Have not heard it myself. Sometimes the parts gods are not nice. Side effect of parrs tolerances and the fact that mass manufacturers only do sample testing. Sounds like you caught some bad luck with a few bad parts.

You should get a lottery ticket.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update that this is the signal stalk not being greased enough from the factory. This is what I told the dealership it was but that insisted it wasn't and replaced the clock spring instead...which did not fix the issue.

So if your vehicle is doing this same noise, don't let the dealer say it's the clock spring.
I permitted them to do the clock spring repair and it never fixed the issue.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Just an update that this is the signal stalk not being greased enough from the factory. This is what I told the dealership it was but that insisted it wasn't and replaced the clock spring instead...which did not fix the issue.

So if your vehicle is doing this same noise, don't let the dealer say it's the clock spring.
I permitted them to do the clock spring repair and it never fixed the issue.
Sorry to hear that...

So, was it the stealership who added grease or you did it yourself? I hope you have some pictures.

Are you the same guy who have a problem about the engine noise or something? How was it?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am doing it tonight but saw on Reddit that it solves the issue. I can take some pics tonight, though.

Engine noise/squeak is still on going. I haven't had the car back to the dealership as they never returned my request for further service (car is due for the brake service so I thought I would show my appreciation and get them to do this expensive service)...and the engine cover they broke last time has been perpetually on "back order" so I am starting to think they just don't want to see my car anymore. I was pretty disappointed the last time I had it there as all the info. I gave to the Service Manager wasn't given to the Technician so he was trying to solve the issue with none of my information which would have saved them having the car for an entire week and then telling me it was simply the AC compressor turning on, which I showed them it wasn't within 5 minutes of picking the car up. The Technician was equally was pissed that none of my troubleshooting info. made it to him.

Also, car almost didn't start today after work...so that's another issue that has started popping up. I am about to turn over 100,000 kms, too, so I presume this will be another issue I will need looked at, which I am dreading as I trust no dealers anymore. I will start a thread on that one as it's a pretty specific situation where it turns over for a very very long time before starting.

I have a request in to the Sales person who sold the car to me new and asked for a trade assessment on a CX5 or something else..he also didn't get back to me...go figure.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Confirmed fix.
Follow this thread to remove the turning stalk

then lubricate the white prong that goes into the clock spring...noise solved. There was a small amount of grease on it but it wasn't on the part that interfaces with the clock spring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts