Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Checked many websites and even read the owner's manual. Can't find that "dimple point", which seems obscured by plastic lining and such.

Would it be safe to just jack someplace behind the front wheel and ahead of rear wheel on the frame?

Thanks

·
Registered
631 Posts
On the rocker panel FLANGE... the flange that is pinch-welded (and that comprises a vertical surface) there are two "bumps" or bubbles. The mfr. intends for that to be the place where the rocker panel is lifted. Me, I don't agree, as - if you use the scissor jack at those points - it will bear against the plastic moulding that is evident in that area, cracking it.

Me, I prefer the folded-over areas of the rocker panel flange... for the rear, immediately to the rear of the bubble points... and for the front... I forget (but NEAR) the bubble points.

Having said this, if you use the OEM scissor jack, it is designed to straddle the rocker panel flange. Safer, to be sure, but more apt to cause damage compared to a hard-rubber FLAT pad contacting the folded-over sheet metal section of the rocker panel flange.

YMMV... This works for me, and I always chock as many wheels as possible when doing a single point lift. I really prefer to do a "one end of car" lift, as it thereby does not impart a major torsion to the bodyshell.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts