Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am trying to install this kit into a 2018 Mazda3 Touring:

and I think I am following the wrong set of instructions. I have the firmware updated and all that jazz, and disassembled my trim and installed the new USB hub into the center console storage, but then found that I do not have the cable circled in green in this photo. I have it on the CMU end but not on the USB hub end when the hub is in the center console storage.

Do I instead need to put the new USB hub beneath the climate controls? Can someone point me towards the instructions for that? I can't figure out how to remove the existing one. Additionally, in that same photo, the ports circled in yellow were populated before I started. Do I plug them back in during reassembly or leave them empty?

·
Registered
2016 6
441 Posts
Did your car come with the usb ports originally and if so where were they located? If you had a working usb port before you removed it there is no way possible that connector is not there unless you cut it out. If the usb ports were under the climate control then the connector most likely is just more towards the floor of the car or pushed back in towards the dash/ glovebox side. If it was originally in the center console then it could just be tucked down under the bottom of the usb port slot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did your car come with the usb ports originally and if so where were they located? If you had a working usb port before you removed it there is no way possible that connector is not there unless you cut it out. If the usb ports were under the climate control then the connector most likely is just more towards the floor of the car or pushed back in towards the dash/ glovebox side. If it was originally in the center console then it could just be tucked down under the bottom of the usb port slot.
The only USB ports I have are beneath the climate controls. The hub in the center console storage is just plastic. I did not realize that would stop me from using the new one in that location.

I don't see that connector anywhere so I think it has to be connected to the hub under the climate controls. I just can't figure out how to remove that hub. If I can do that I can pop the new one in and re-route my cables and be done I think.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The only USB ports I have are beneath the climate controls. The hub in the center console storage is just plastic. I did not realize that would stop me from using the new one in that location.

I don't see that connector anywhere so I think it has to be connected to the hub under the climate controls. I just can't figure out how to remove that hub. If I can do that I can pop the new one in and re-route my cables and be done I think.
The objective is to replace the existing hub with the new one.

Trim removal instructions for all models and hub locations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I guess I only had about 75% of the trim removed since more needs to be removed for the front hub than for the back hub. Rather than struggling through removing the rest of it, though, I ended up just drilling out the 4 tabs on the front hub. Apparently I could have done that from the beginning w/o removing most of the trim that I did remove. Oh well.

Everything's hooked up and working now. Thank you both.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Not sure what screws you're referring to, but I didn't drill my car, I drilled out the old USB hub. It was pretty easy and there was no damage to the surrounding area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts