Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Los Angeles International Auto Show is just weeks away, and Mazda is getting people ready with a sneak peek of the 2018 Mazda CX5. There are definitely some major changes in store just from the vague silhouette shown. The front end in particular looks completely reworked. Could this offer some hints about the future of the Mazda 6?

Check out the teaser shot here

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it can go either way... either a stretched CX3 or a mini CX9. Hard to tell. I would doubt the CX5 would be a 3-row. That would be awful cramped and it'd pinch cargo space, which is a big gripe with the CX3.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Almost looks like a miniature Jag F-Pace, not that there's anything wrong with it ! I know looks is so subjective, but i always thought the gen 3 Mazda3 was not a very good looking car especially the deep 'U' grille, I am glad Mazda has reworked the front for 2017. On a side note, i recently saw the new KIA Forte5 or whatever the hatch is called as, it looks pretty good for the price, very european hatch like, not surprising considering Hyundai/KIAs design chief Peter Schreyer was with Audi before.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mazda recently said they want to go more "premium" with their models. So I think the CX-9 direction is likely what we will see with the new CX-5. I am more interested to see if they improved the 2.5L engine for the new CX-5.

wardsauto.com/industry/mazda-plans-move-upmarket

“We’re driving ahead to ‘Mazda premium,’” Russell Wager, vice president-marketing at Mazda North American Operations, says at an automotive conference here.

The Japanese automaker has no intentions of debuting “a premium, pricey model,” he says. Instead, Mazda wants to reach out more to affluent consumers.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The CX5 looks fantastic in person....just saying ;)

Chris

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm going to assume the redesign on the 6 will have a similar grill and design... I do like they went back to the honeycomb grill and can't wait until pics of the redesign on the 6 when they start coming out eventually. Octogonpc had it pretty close in his design he posted a while back it looks like, though his design was a little bit more sharp, I know he was using the Vision grill and bumper as inspiration.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So here is the official press release kit for the CX5. Interesting that they only mention the 2.5L Sky-Activ for N American markets (if you look at the end of the document). Does this mean they're going to shelve the 2.0L/MTX option on the Sport?

I asked one of my dealer contacts about the SkyActiv-D being considered for the US again. He seemed stunned, considering his team was one of the dealers helping to evaluate the engine back in 2014.

I also find it interesting that there's no mention of the Sky-Activ T making it in. Missing a great opportunity for a CX5 GT Premium edition I think.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Looks are subjective but to my eyes the CX9 pulls off the new mazda nose more gracefully than the new CX5. The blunt nose and a U grille works well when the body is low and long, somehow the CX5's lines look like it came to an abrupt end with a tall mid section. The mazda6 on the other hand can pull off this look very well, i can imagine it looking like a Jag XF with feline lines.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The mazda6 on the other hand can pull off this look very well, i can imagine it looking like a Jag XF with feline lines.
I agree. It could have a little of the form shape of the flagship Volvo as well, only more streamlined. I will like a lot! I was tempted to wait it out but had to give up my other vehicle. Certainly will have car envy for the new owners when the time comes.

Best,

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
9 Participants
Alln
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing