Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm getting closer to narrowing it down, haven't yet test drove either but on paper which should I focus on? Both seem to have plenty of room in the back for child seats. Both have all the tech, but which would be better for fuel economy, ride comfort/noise, reliability?
I'm looking at the signature and sport/touring models for both. Is the 2.0T for the Honda a must over the 1.5L CVT?
Cars on the outside looking in, Civic and Toyota Camry.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I think I'm getting closer to narrowing it down, haven't yet test drove either but on paper which should I focus on? Both seem to have plenty of room in the back for child seats. Both have all the tech, but which would be better for fuel economy, ride comfort/noise, reliability?
I'm looking at the signature and sport/touring models for both. Is the 2.0T for the Honda a must over the 1.5L CVT?
Cars on the outside looking in, Civic and Toyota Camry.
I think the 1.5 T Honda engine has crankcase oil dilution issues (it is direct injected, as the Mazda6 is but Honda flubbed it, it appears). I don't think the 2.0 Honda has that same trouble.

The Honda 2.0T has a 10 speed automatic (theoretically more efficient than the Mazda's 6 speed A/T... but if it is busy shifting ALL of the time, it seems to me that it'd be more wear-prone at the end of the day???

I think the Honda has mechanically adjustable valves... I could be wrong - but at least the intervals are very long - 100, 000 miles ? and they NEVER can get gummed-up necessitating changeout of all 16 of them.

The Honda comes from a much larger Company, with better solvency, and could be counted to be around longer than Mazda; but with recent Toyota involvement, Mazda may have more staying power than one would have initially believed.

Honda is more powerful, I believe, but they tend to have more mid- to upper range power. Mazda turbo is strong, down low.

The paintwork on a Mazda is poor (very prone to rock chips) but then folks say that ALL paint systems these days (water based) are poor. Mazda, though, is VERY cheap with paint thickness.

I would give the Honda an in depth look, if I were in your shoes...

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
This is a Mazda 6 forum so I'll recommend you to get the 6.

I would give the Honda an in depth look, if I were in your shoes...
With what you mention about paint, yes indeed, it is very fragile. I'm about to have a schedule for a repaint and hopefully, it will be free. I have an insurance claim so I'm hoping the tech guy can have some "spare paint" for the hood.

Take a ride and feel the car. From there, you should be able to judge how you prioritize what you want and need. Do you prefer a better road feedback? Comfort?

Then take a look at its interior design. You'll be sitting there most of the time. And of course, don't forget how it looks outside. It's so rewarding to walk towards your car and admire it. The satisfying feeling as you hold the steering wheel and say to yourself, "Good thing I bought this one."

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
328 Posts
Ya, I'd definitely recommend the Mazda (obviously I'm biased). For me the FEELING of the Mazda just felt SO much better than the Accord or Camry, I felt more connected to the road/what the car was doing but without any extra harshness, I just felt more natural in the 6.

It's really all about test driving the cars in close succession, how does it feel to drive/sit/be in.
Honestly both cars are good and will last incredibly well (Mazda and Honda, come on), and both will be quite fuel efficient ( Mazda might have an edge here, certainly compared to the 2T, and I wouldn't consider the 1.5 as that could be dissapointing when you have a car full of people trying to go uphill on the freeway...).

·
Registered
2016 6
455 Posts
Another vote for mazda here but again why shouldn’t we all be voting for mazda on this page hahah. I would follow the advice of the guys above. I will suggest once you do either pick the 6 or the accord, see if the dealer will give you an extended test drive before you finalize the deal. So many people I know just take the car around the block once and say alright I’ll take it! My own gf did this and it still pisses me off lol. She just got a 16 civic with the 1.5 (which is a dog with cvt) and she didn’t even take it on the highway!! There’s always a lot to take into account with buying a new or used car so make sure it’s the one you’re going to be most satisfied with as you’re not gonna want to have to deal with getting rid of it in a couple years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As an owner of a 17 CR-V with the 1.5 & CVT, if all your driving is in town or where it’s cold in the winter (40 and lower at night) buy the bigger motor. The 1.5 ours when it’s out of eco mode is very quick past 20 mph and it get about 35 mpg on the highway. It does have fuel dilution also. With 98% highway driving of 24 miles each way to work, it will gain about a quarter of a quart in 5k miles.
The CVT does have twin oil filters that are changeable but the dealer service department will tell you not so.
I like how Mazda’s drive and my guess you find the Mazda has a quieter interior, Honda is not known for that.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
When I tested out an Accord 2.0T with 6MT (when that power train still was available) sure it felt fast at the upper rpm ranges - but used at normal speeds and not being made to operate in a sporty driving manner - it didn't feel leagues better (or for that matter ANY better) than my bottom trim line Mazda6 Sport. The value quotient did not make it compelling for me (the Accord would have been thousands more, versus my car). I got a great deal on my 6MT Sport Mazda6 in early '17. Wish it had a bit more punch but it'll never have mid-displacement V8 (+ moderately tall 5-or 6MT) "punch" regardless of what I do to modify it... so I am happy with it as is.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you’ve driven both and neither is a clear winner based on that, then you must be either a 1980s Buick kind of person, or you’re a cars-are-appliances kind of person. There’s nothing wrong with that, but Mazda isn’t targeting you.

Mazda has better reliability at this point. Honda has had rather poor reliability for several years. They’re making a concerted effort and are (finally) improving in the past year or two. Strike 1 for the Accord.

We drove a new Accord in ‘17. I’ve been in much worse cars, but I wasn’t particularly impressed and it was a lot more expensive than the competition at the time. Strike 2.

I REALLY like driving the Mazda 6. Not so much the Accord. Plus, ALL of the 8, 9, 10-speed automatics are terrible to me. Mazda’s 6-speed is a very well-done tranny. Strike 3 for the Accord.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
At the time I bought my '17 Mazda6 6MT I drove a rare-as-hens'-teeth Accord 2.4 Sport, "EarthDreams" normally-aspirated with 6MT. I didn't find it as engaging as the Mazda6 I ultimately bought. Also I found it to have inferior low- to mid-range punch. You needed to spin it up a bunch to go with any urgency. It was also mebe $5,000 CDN more than the Mazda, based on the willingness of the Mazda dealer to play ball. So I bought the Mazda.

More than a year later when my friends were looking for a car I drove the then-current Accords (2)... One was 1.5 T and the other was 2.0 T, both with 6MT's. So my comments above apply to those two Honda's... and the 2.0 T would have been at the time a LOAD more of cash for me to get into. Poor value quotient proposition. None of the car's, my own Mazda included, really stir my soul like I believe a decent V8 with a particularly sweet (no granny-gear 1st) 6MT would. Having said this, i) now may not be the time to embrace a fuel-heavy car (indeed, going forward from the present I don't think EVER would it be wise to pay little heed to gas mileage); and ii) I suspect my Mazda6 will be my last manual transmission car. ~6A/T "Range-Select"/downshift rev-matching/tow-haul (or Sport programming) conventional torque converter based transmission would be my pick at this time.

·
Registered
2016 Sport, Manual Transmission
112 Posts
I think from a practical point, both cars are good. It is a matter of what is your priority, driver feel, involvement. Then get the 6, another point in the 6 favor is the Skyactive engine, they are bullet proof and Mazda seems to have a better handle on the fuel dilution issue than other manufacturers, fuel dilution can be a problem with direct injection engines. I love my 2016 Sport MT, probably one of the last MT sedans we will see! After 85,000 miles running strong with no issues, fun to drive, I am keeping it forever.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I have materially north of 200k miles on mine at this point. It has had zero fuel dilution issues -- or other operational issues with the drivetrain -- of any sort and consumes less than half a quart of oil between intervals. The last analysis I ran on the oil (UOA) showed wear metal levels awfully comparable to new oil out of the bottle.

This may be one of the few gas engines that makes 500,000 miles; I see no reason whatsoever to believe it won't make 300k.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ya, I'd definitely recommend the Mazda (obviously I'm biased). For me the FEELING of the Mazda just felt SO much better than the Accord or Camry, I felt more connected to the road/what the car was doing but without any extra harshness, I just felt more natural in the 6.
I've loved every Accord I've owned. But, they were more of a "point a to point b" kind of car. The 6 just feels so different. It makes it fun to drive again. Not just commuting from place to place. At first, I wasn't so sure. I loved the exterior look (looks aggressive), interior was a bit plain, just an average, easily overlooked car. Finally test drove it. WHEEEEEEEEE!!! I got the vroom vroom vibes from it.

There is nothing wrong with an Accord. They are very excellent cars. They are very reliable, easy to work on, great mileage, look good... But, every time I walk out to my 6, I get a smile. It looks great, it drives great, it's a pleasure to just get in and go for a drive again. It feels good to have a fun car after having family cars for so long. Plus, this also doubles as a family car. :)

Love the user name, WoodinvilleDan. :) My main office/winery is up that way (assuming it's in WA).

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
328 Posts
I've loved every Accord I've owned. But, they were more of a "point a to point b" kind of car. The 6 just feels so different. It makes it fun to drive again. Not just commuting from place to place. At first, I wasn't so sure. I loved the exterior look (looks aggressive), interior was a bit plain, just an average, easily overlooked car. Finally test drove it. WHEEEEEEEEE!!! I got the vroom vroom vibes from it.

There is nothing wrong with an Accord. They are very excellent cars. They are very reliable, easy to work on, great mileage, look good... But, every time I walk out to my 6, I get a smile. It looks great, it drives great, it's a pleasure to just get in and go for a drive again. It feels good to have a fun car after having family cars for so long. Plus, this also doubles as a family car. :)

Love the user name, WoodinvilleDan. :) My main office/winery is up that way (assuming it's in WA).
Yep, It's WA, I live just a little northeast of Woodinville, barely over the Snohomish county line (still Woodinville mailing address). I've been living out here for about 15 years now and love it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you are going with the 6 new tires make it even funner. I will tell you this. The accord has better top end power than the 6 at least the 2.0 does the 1.5 dwindled noticeably fast after 6k. I drove both for a while and went with the 6. The accord would gear hunt sometimes and needed throttle to really move. The mazda6 makes it all feel effortless. Hit the kickdown switch the transmission shifts and your off. From a dig giving gas gives you instant torque and a effortless sensation when driving. The accord had boost lag which was annoying at times especially when the transmission hunts. The 6 speed on the 6 has been a great transmission and tuned perfectly with the engine. If you want effortless power go with the 6 but if you want power that comes later in the rpm band with noticeably more turbo lag go with the accord.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I assume you are looking to buy new. I have a 2020 grand touring. The biggest issue I have with the car is the soft paint mentioned by so many others. A lesser complaint is the lag in the infotainment system, navigation is not great, the Bose stereo is decent enough. I have averaged 27 mpg over the first year; ranging from 20 in the city to 35 while on the highway. The chassis gives decent feedback through the seat and floor while the steering feedback is subtle (as good as it gets with electric steering). The suspension is damped well, the car is always composed whether you drive it fast or slow.

I strongly suggest staying away from the Camry. I had a 2019 and traded it in after a year (not all the following issues showed up during the test drive). There is no steering feel at all. It understeers all the time, even when driving slow. The suspension was odd, it would float down the highway but was harsh and unsettled over bumps. The sway bars are so stiff, when you go over a little rut with one wheel the traction control kicks in. The stereo is the cheapest I have seen since the 90's. The interior was comfortable though.

·
Registered
791 Posts
A little late to post ... but the only reason I would get the Accord is if back seat room is extremely important. The Accord’s taller roofline and better use of space/packaging allow for a noticeably more spacious back seat. The 6’s back seat is very comfortable, plenty of leg room but it’s definitely going to be much “cozier” with tighter head room.

Otherwise, what everyone else said x 10. The 6 will be unique on the road. You won’t see yourself in every parking lot. It’s comfortable, stylish, and just as reliable. Most importantly where it matters, the 6 handles beautifully. The Accord’s 2.0T might be faster in a straight line but the Mazda feels more refined and handles just as well without the fussy transmission. To Mazda’s credit, the 6 handles well on smaller, comfort focused tires and without the electronic suspension that the Accord Touring has.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I owned 2017 Mazda 6 Sport, now I am owning 2020 6 GT

I kind of regret getting Mazda 6 GT last year, which I got the deal around 26k out of door for MSRP 31k car.

but the moment I reached to my drive way, I did not come out to see the new car until next morning driving it to work.
if you like better interior, yes accord sport can not beat it. but touring accord is good with 2k more.

talking about handling and power
1. handling, I would not agree with folks who thought the mazda 6 is better. I think accord 2.0t sport is way better on handling over M6 gt.
I just had very spirited drive with my friends driving a RCF and an accord 2.0t last weekend on a mountain road, Mazda 6 had a lot of body roll, soft suspension. shaking braking feeling. btw my gt has only 12k miles at this point.
I drove accord 2.0t extensively, quick little body roll, heavier steering, stiffer suspension. more confidence overall.

2. engine: accord 2.0t smokes the mazda 6 gt at any circumstance for sure. 5.4 vs 6.4(premium)?, the 2.5t skyactiv is a joke. engine dies at 4500 rpm? diesel?
3. tansmission: 6at, you got 2k rpm at 60mph, 80 at 26k rpm. weird gearing. short shift. no fun at all. the reliability should be ok. 10at, at least I felt it was very smooth and shifts fast. did not feel gear hunting. reliability needs time to prove.

if you compare accord 2.0t touring vs signature, I would take accord for sure with 2k more. accord sport 2.0t, if you do not mind the interior and features, I would go with accord also.
mazda has better interior and value, but comes to the power train, it is really the joke. handling isnt as good as you thought anymore, the chassis is almost 10 years old

1 - 20 of 21 Posts