Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car says to change oil every 7500,
so i did have my first oil change around 7300 and now it is on around 12000.
suddenly engine oil light came on so i came to dealership they said oil level is low and dark.
and they suggested to replace oil every 5000 because of turbo engine.
if i have to change every 5000, why does my car says 7500?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oil life will vary depending upon the kind of driving done. Dark oil means little but a low level is a little concern. Do you know who did the last change, the level attained, and was it checked during the driving period?

I have a '18 with the turbo engine and because of the many short cold trips I consider it is under severe use and change the oil every six months, about 3K miles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil life will vary depending upon the kind of driving done. Dark oil means little but a low level is a little concern. Do you know who did the last change, the level attained, and was it checked during the driving period?

I have a '18 with the turbo engine and because of the many short cold trips I consider it is under severe use and change the oil every six months, about 3K miles.
thank you for reply.
i drive a lot. yes the light came on during drive.
i dont know who changed oil, but i heard from a friend that dealer tends to fill oil up to very minimum requirement.
i guess it's better to be safe than sorry

·
Super Moderator
17,231 Posts
1 more question.
if the oil level is low, can i add oil myself to get rid of the light?
1) If you had your dealer change the oil and the light came on, take it back. They are fully responsible for any damage being done to your car. The low oil light indicates an insufficient amount of oil is in the car to properly lubricate everything, and will cause damage over time.

2) There should be no reason why you're going through so much oil so quickly. I changed mine every 6k miles for 140k miles, and now I'm changing it every 7k miles, and I typically only see a loss of about 1/2 a quart. This means your car isn't functioning properly, you're losing/burning oil somewhere, or the dealership isn't doing their job.

3) Yes, absolutely add oil to remove the light! Just be sure it's the exact same viscosity as the oil the dealer put in it (it should be on your receipt). Mixing oils is a big no-no.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’d suggest using an outside oil analysis company like Blackstone Labs to have your oil analyzed. They’ll tell you what shape your oil is in so you can determine what your change interval should be based on your driving style.

As your oil gets older it will loose viscosity and the additives in it will diminish.

In my truck (turbo diesel) I run 15-40 Dino oil. Based on how I drive the oil is good for around 7-7500 miles per the lab. I set my change interval at 6k. Gives me some cushion if I can’t get to it right away.

Without sending a sample to the lab you have no idea what you should be doing for oil change intervals. Granted, if you are still under warranty you will want to follow manufacturers guideline at a minimum. But given your driving style you may need to change sooner.

As I mentioned earlier I use Blackstone Labs (https://www.blackstone-labs.com/). They will send you sample kits at no cost. I have no ties to them other than being a repeat customer and get nothing from them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It might also be that when you had the oil changed at the dealer, they set your maintenance minder at 5000 miles. I know that when I have mine done, I have to go into the settings and reset it to "flexible" since Mazda doesn't give you a 7500 mile option. That would seem about right for the miles you are quoting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts