Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My first service appointment is a week or so away but I thought I would post a video of the noise to get some feedback.

I am noticing this pop/knock in the suspension when hitting bumps and turning to the right. I've tried to catch it in a video, which I've posted on the YouTubes,

https://youtu.be/iu6pqn0MUrw
The sound reminds me of when I had endlinks go on previous cars...but it's odd it's only doing it when turning (car is silent when hitting bumps and going straight).
Car is so new I would be surprised if something was actually worn or broken. Does anyone else's car make this noise, too?

I will attempt to get a better video at some point in the next few days.

Tks,

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi,

My first service appointment is a week or so away but I thought I would post a video of the noise to get some feedback.

I am noticing this pop/knock in the suspension when hitting bumps and turning to the right. I've tried to catch it in a video, which I've posted on the YouTubes,

https://youtu.be/iu6pqn0MUrw
The sound reminds me of when I had endlinks go on previous cars...but it's odd it's only doing it when turning (car is silent when hitting bumps and going straight).
Car is so new I would be surprised if something was actually worn or broken. Does anyone else's car make this noise, too?

I will attempt to get a better video at some point in the next few days.

Tks,
Maybe not worn or broken, but maybe defective/out of spec part. It happens and why warranty. Wouldnt worry despite it being frustrating.

Would definitely drive me nuts. When did it start happening?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe not worn or broken, but maybe defective/out of spec part. It happens and why warranty. Wouldnt worry despite it being frustrating.

Would definitely drive me nuts. When did it start happening?

It caught my ear on the very first drive with it but thought it was just me not being familiar with the new car.

Did you watch the video? Can you hear the noise I am talking about? And...most importantly...am I nuts?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ha, I had a sound like that in my '16 Mazda3. It wasn't constant, but there was one particular bump on one particular road where it happened more often than not. In my mind, it sounded like an inadequate shock mount. But it was so infrequent, I really didn't think about it much unless I happened to be going over that particular bump dropping the kiddo off.

So anyway, eventually I had my 3 dropped with new springs and shocks. I never even thought about it until I happened to go over that bump a few times and I was like, "hey, I don't hear that sound anymore." and for the remaining 25k miles I had the car, I never heard that sound again.

So in conclusion, there was definitely something amiss with the stock suspension that seemed to be fixed when I put the Eibachs/Konis in. Now that said, that doesn't mean that I couldn't have taken it to the dealership and it may had been as simple as them tightening some bolts, who knows? But I say all of that to show you, in fact, you are not crazy. While not the exact same problem, I'm hopeful it's an easy fix for you

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha, I had a sound like that in my '16 Mazda3. It wasn't constant, but there was one particular bump on one particular road where it happened more often than not. In my mind, it sounded like an inadequate shock mount. But it was so infrequent, I really didn't think about it much unless I happened to be going over that particular bump dropping the kiddo off.

So anyway, eventually I had my 3 dropped with new springs and shocks. I never even thought about it until I happened to go over that bump a few times and I was like, "hey, I don't hear that sound anymore." and for the remaining 25k miles I had the car, I never heard that sound again.

So in conclusion, there was definitely something amiss with the stock suspension that seemed to be fixed when I put the Eibachs/Konis in. Now that said, that doesn't mean that I couldn't have taken it to the dealership and it may had been as simple as them tightening some bolts, who knows? But I say all of that to show you, in fact, you are not crazy. While not the exact same problem, I'm hopeful it's an easy fix for you

Hmm interesting thought, Chazzy....videos of bad strut mounts I'm watching online sound very similar to my noise.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is really interesting, I've noticed a knocking noise in my 2017 GT from the passenger front corner since new when going over specific speed bumps or dips in the road on my commute. Can't replicate it when approaching similar bumps from the driver front corner...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hmm interesting thought, Chazzy....videos of bad strut mounts I'm watching online sound very similar to my noise.
Yeah, hopefully it's that simple mate. Nothing worse than having a new car be anything less than perfect -- I've lived that story before myself. Especially when it's a car brand you trust and have come to love...keep us posted if they're able to find the issue

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, hopefully it's that simple mate. Nothing worse than having a new car be anything less than perfect -- I've lived that story before myself. Especially when it's a car brand you trust and have come to love...keep us posted if they're able to find the issue

Ohhh I've owned a lemon VW GTI, so this is nothing.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is really interesting, I've noticed a knocking noise in my 2017 GT from the passenger front corner since new when going over specific speed bumps or dips in the road on my commute. Can't replicate it when approaching similar bumps from the driver front corner...

Interesting indeed! I bet it's the same noise!
Think you can get a video of the sound?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
It caught my ear on the very first drive with it but thought it was just me not being familiar with the new car.

Did you watch the video? Can you hear the noise I am talking about? And...most importantly...am I nuts?
Actually hadn't listened to it , but after sampling it I will say that i hear a similar sound on my car when the suspension fully compresses (hitting a pothole for instance). My guess is your hitting the bump stops.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually hadn't listened to it , but after sampling it I will say that i hear a similar sound on my car when the suspension fully compresses (hitting a pothole for instance). My guess is your hitting the bump stops.

I can see what you mean but these aren't large holes. It happens with uneven surfaces, so pavement cracks, entering driveways, etc...these are small bumps not biggins' like a bad pothole. If my car made this little of noise hitting "bottoming out" holes, I would be impressed!

My next task is to find a road surface around where the dealership is located so I can save the Technician's time and just take him to a location that he can easily re-create the noise.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My 2016 Sport started making a noise from the suspension at around 25,000 miles. Following the advice of Tickerguy i sprayed silicon on the suspension bushings. Issue solved

·
Registered
43 Posts
Interesting indeed! I bet it's the same noise!
Think you can get a video of the sound?
Haven't gotten a video, but I did have a Mazda3 loaner from the dealer for the last few days and it makes pretty much the same noise going over the same bumps... so I guess it's just the bumpstops.

·
Administrator
8,506 Posts
I'm kinda surprised you haven't taken it in to the dealer to get it looked at yet...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It goes on Monday. Dealers are booking weeks in advance so it's tough to get in any sooner.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dealer was able to replicate the noise and Mazda sent the dealer some instructions for repair but the repair didn't work :(
So now we wait and see what step 2 is.

All I was able to get out of the dealer was they tried putting foam on something..possibly a bearing (their words, not mine)...I didn't get a chance to talk to the Tech. so front desk staff tried to explain...not sure what they were describing.

I am going to try and get the Mazda Canada folks to watch my YouTube video...hopefully that helps them ID the issue.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I went a little out of my way to hit a few bumps, going straight, turning, trying to find a rattle. This car is exceptionally tight. After putting the Tanabe Springs on along with the front Tower strut bar and changing the rear anti sway bar I once again looked for some bumps at different speeds and angles. Nothing. Solid.

I was going to suggest the suspension bushings and or the strut mounts on top.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went a little out of my way to hit a few bumps, going straight, turning, trying to find a rattle. This car is exceptionally tight. After putting the Tanabe Springs on along with the front Tower strut bar and changing the rear anti sway bar I once again looked for some bumps at different speeds and angles. Nothing. Solid.

I was going to suggest the suspension bushings and or the strut mounts on top.

I've seen a few things about strut mount tops...so I will mention that. Unfortunately, the Tech. is working with Mazda so they seem to be calling the shots at this point.

Car has also started making this very loud *SNAP* noise in the first 10 minutes of driving. This isn't related to the suspension noise, though.
It's getting quite hot now during the days and the noise sounds like a plastic dash piece settling/snapping. At first I thought it was a rock hitting the windshield but it's done it a few mornings (after the previous day was really hot) as I drive to work :/

1 - 20 of 155 Posts