Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to remove my headrests to install seat covers. The front and middle back headrests all removed easily but the rear outer two will slide up and down and can be set at several heights but cannot be released past the highest setting. The dealer tells me they should pull right out. I notice that the height notches on the two rear outer headrests are slightly different from the front two. Taking it to the nearest dealer on Tuesday, an hour and a half away. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
194 Posts
This is normal, the two rear outboard headrests are anchored to the seats and can only be adjusted up and down but not removed. Mine is the same way. Likely there's a clip on one of the legs that prevents it from being removed.

·
Administrator
8,418 Posts
What they said.

I'm not sure of the reasoning why the outers cannot be removed, but I'm sure there's a strange law/code that requires it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I noticed the same thing with mine, so I started to fold them down, from the trunk, then there was enough clearance to remove the headrests completely. I did this for my girls' car seats. It's a little annoying, but only takes a few seconds extra.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think this is normal. The owners manual implies they are all removable and the service rep at one of the dealerships checked one of their new vehicles and the outer rear headrests were removable. Could be a batch have an error. Will find out more next Tuesday when I visit dealer.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Interesting. Manual shows two buttons for rear, outboard seats when there appears to be only one. The place where there should be a second push button, there is a solid piece. Doesn't seem to match the manual.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Headrest Problem solved.

The outer two rear headrests can be easily removed. But there is a secret. Facing toward the back you will notice that the left post is the one that prevents removal. Then look at the small plastic piece on the top of the seat that would normally have a release like the other post. The release is hidden. You have to take a small knife and insert it into the crack you see on this piece and then the end of the piece pops off. This exposes a plunger that you need to push using two fingers while also releasing the latch on the other post. The headrest will then come out and you can remove the hidden latch if you want to permanently eliminate this annoyance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Instead of removing the two rear headrests from Mazda 6, I replace it with a new headrest with dvd player. So it solved the problem as well as keep the intact appearance and add new features to entertain kids.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Instead of removing the two rear headrests from Mazda 6, I replace it with a new headrest with dvd player. So it solved the problem as well as keep the intact appearance and add new features to entertain kids.
So you put a DVD player in the rear headrests...?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts