Mazda 6 Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Quick update:

I'm still working from home, but I was able to wash/wax/detail the 6 this past weekend, as well as work on a few paint scratches/chips.

If you have some scratches or paint chips, do yourself a favor and pick up the touch-up paint pen from Mazda. It's by far the easiest, most usable touch-up paint pen that I've ever used and does a GREAT job filling in scratches and chips without messing up.

I also treated myself, and ordered the CS SRI for the turbo. That'll be installed hopefully next month.

As far as the tires go. No driving, so no tirewear, and delaying having to buy the replacements. I have seen some very good info (both here and at other websites) on the new Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate, so I may pop for them instead. Tire Rack tested them recently and they were impressed with them, especially in the wet, which is my biggest gripe with the OEM Falkens (along with the mediocre dry handling, the horrific treadwear, etc.).

Reactions: Byakuya

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not gonna lie, I want an intake for more of the good noises. But... I can't bring myself to getting one without the heat shield. Will be watching for your thoughts on the CS when you get it in.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Thanks for the update! I’m missing some pictures unfortunately, we all love seeing freshly detailed 6’s!
Yeah, that's my bad. I got sucked into another chore when I finished the car, and forgot to get pics. It rained that night, of course...

Not gonna lie, I want an intake for more of the good noises. But... I can't bring myself to getting one without the heat shield. Will be watching for your thoughts on the CS when you get it in.
There's a "retired" member here that I'm still in touch with, that's had the CS for about a year now. He's noticed no downgrade with anything due to heat, and the added noises are "not obnoxious, but still distinctive, and incredible!"

There's another member that goes by @DaBreeze that also got one. His thoughts are here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you get it in!

There's this post on Reddit with pics of a heat shield apparently in development for the 2.5T SRI. So possibly this could be released within the next few months. But seeing as their heat shield for the 2.5 NA costs ~$150 I'm assuming it'll be around the same, that's nearly the cost of the intake itself. I've had minimal heat soaking issues so I would probably pass but maybe the summer weather will change that.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Quick update, for those who care...

Due to an errant nail, I had to spring for new tires a few months sooner than planned. I picked the nail up on a construction site last week, which flattened the tire almost immediately.

Due to it's location near the sidewall, patching it wasn't an option, and frankly, the OEM Falkens were worn down enough for me to upgrade. So I did...

General G-MAX AS-05

So far, I have less than 200 miles on them since they were installed, so I'll "officially" review them in the near future. So far, I will say that they're definitely a much-needed upgrade over the OEM Falkens. And while I've never been a fan of OEM tires on any Mazda6, The Falkens, by far, were the worst set of OEM tires I've ever had on ANY vehicle I've purchased, let alone the 6. Yes, they were quiet, but at the huge expense of handling and traction on every surface. The fact that they're described as a crossover/SUV tire doesn't surprise me, but the fact that Mazda placed them on their flagship performance sedan baffles my mind. Since I run winter tires, I'm not exactly sure of the treadwear, but I guarantee that it was less than 20K miles before they were worn. On a summer tire, I'd understand, but an all-season passenger tire? Sorry, Mazda, but those Falkens were a huge FAIL, and shouldn't have even been considered for the 6. At all.

In other news, the CorkSport SRI for the turbo has arrived, but of course, their heat shield that's been in development has just been released also. I'm debating on whether or not to wait, then install them both at once. I'm leaning toward doing that right now, so it may be a bit longer before I get the SRI installed.

Other than that, it just crested 31K miles this morning, and yes, I'm now driving back and forth to the office again, so you'll be hearing from me again soon...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quick update, for those who care...

Due to an errant nail, I had to spring for new tires a few months sooner than planned. I picked the nail up on a construction site last week, which flattened the tire almost immediately.

Due to it's location near the sidewall, patching it wasn't an option, and frankly, the OEM Falkens were worn down enough for me to upgrade. So I did...

General G-MAX AS-05

So far, I have less than 200 miles on them since they were installed, so I'll "officially" review them in the near future. So far, I will say that they're definitely a much-needed upgrade over the OEM Falkens. And while I've never been a fan of OEM tires on any Mazda6, The Falkens, by far, were the worst set of OEM tires I've ever had on ANY vehicle I've purchased, let alone the 6. Yes, they were quiet, but at the huge expense of handling and traction on every surface. The fact that they're described as a crossover/SUV tire doesn't surprise me, but the fact that Mazda placed them on their flagship performance sedan baffles my mind. Since I run winter tires, I'm not exactly sure of the treadwear, but I guarantee that it was less than 20K miles before they were worn. On a summer tire, I'd understand, but an all-season passenger tire? Sorry, Mazda, but those Falkens were a huge FAIL, and shouldn't have even been considered for the 6. At all.

In other news, the CorkSport SRI for the turbo has arrived, but of course, their heat shield that's been in development has just been released also. I'm debating on whether or not to wait, then install them both at once. I'm leaning toward doing that right now, so it may be a bit longer before I get the SRI installed.

Other than that, it just crested 31K miles this morning, and yes, I'm now driving back and forth to the office again, so you'll be hearing from me again soon...
I still have the OEM Falkens sitting in my garage to go back on once my Michelin's wear out. This is my second set of All seasons, I blew through my Pirelli's really quickly. My 6 has also been taking a break from the usual commute. My 6 just passed 114,000 kms. Car is working much better overall with the new engine.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
fact that Mazda placed them on their flagship performance sedan baffles my mind
The OEM tires I got is Bridgestone Turanza. I believe this is the last Japanese batch for the 6 and the rest is coming from Malaysia. I don't know if that makes sense but the one from Malaysia might be cutting their cost.

Is Falken cheaper compared to Bridgestone? That might be a good reason. If not, then it is a mystery!

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Is Falken cheaper compared to Bridgestone? That might be a good reason. If not, then it is a mystery!
The pricing can vary greatly from country/continent, the climate, where the tires themselves are produced, etc. I'd bet that Falken and Mazda cut a deal that Mazda would get the tires at a discount compared to other brands/types of tires.

I'm sure that the Falkens also helped to lower the road/wind noise that some people complained about on earlier 3rd-gen models, which is fine, but why not offer a set of performance rubber as an option, for those that would rather take a corner than wallow in silence?

Either way, I can tell you that the G-max may be a little, if any, noisier than the Falkens, but I haven't noticed, and the far-superior handling more than makes up for it...

Reactions: TechZeke

·
Super Moderator
17,380 Posts
Dang, sorry to hear about the nail, but glad the new shoes are treating you well!

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Dang, sorry to hear about the nail, but glad the new shoes are treating you well!
Thanks. It isn't the first flat from a worksite, and it sure won't be the last, but that's why I always get Road Hazard protection on new tires. I always get my money back on it, and then some.

I'm waiting for some wet weather before I give my review on the Generals. It's been bone-dry here for 3 weeks now, but there's rain in the forecast soon...

61 - 72 of 72 Posts