Mazda 6 Forums banner

2018 Mazda 6 GT Reserve

21K views 82 replies 30 participants last post by  Byakuya 
#1 ·
As of May 18th, I'm now the proud owner of a 2018 GT Reserve. Deep Crystal Blue with Black interior. :)

It turns out that it's currently the only 6 in upstate NY with the model/color combo, it had to be transplanted to me from Buffalo. 3 days and over 200 miles later, the smile has gone nowhere, and I feel it won't be leaving anytime soon either!

I'm still learning all the new (to me) features, but a few things stand out already:

The turbo continues to impress me. Despite the abundance of torque that it generates at low revs, there's absolutely NO turbo lag, nor any torque steer from a standstill. I'm getting used to the more linear throttle (compared to my '10 S GT), but I've never felt the need for more power, whether it's off the line, or passing on a two-lane open road.

Despite the less-than-optimum tires, the handling/ride is typical Mazda. In other words, precise, aggressive, and so damn fun! It definitely feels much lighter compared to my 2nd-gen, which makes it more nimble and willing to take curves at higher speeds.

Inside, the quality and fit-and-finish is still surprising as to how good it really is! Every surface I see and touch looks as if it's straight out of an Audi. The seats are getting more comfortable every day, and the cooling function is IMO just fantastic! As I mentioned, I'm slowly acclimating to the radar cruise and the other newer functions, but the LED adaptive lighting and high-beam control is just about perfect, both in looks, and how well it lights up the road at night.

I do have one gripe: if Mazda decided to go LEDs for all the outside lighting, as well as the turn-signals and puddle lamps on the door, then why cheap out and go with filament bulbs in the interior ceiling and in the trunk? This will be addressed in a future mod, but still...

I'm also looking into getting a few other items in the near future. Stay tuned!

See less See more
#2 ·
As of May 18th, I'm now the proud owner of a 2018 GT Reserve. Deep Crystal Blue with Black interior. :)

It turns out that it's currently the only 6 in upstate NY with the model/color combo, it had to be transplanted to me from Buffalo. 3 days and over 200 miles later, the smile has gone nowhere, and I feel it won't be leaving anytime soon either!

I'm still learning all the new (to me) features, but a few things stand out already:

The turbo continues to impress me. Despite the abundance of torque that it generates at low revs, there's absolutely NO turbo lag, nor any torque steer from a standstill. I'm getting used to the more linear throttle (compared to my '10 S GT), but I've never felt the need for more power, whether it's off the line, or passing on a two-lane open road.

Despite the less-than-optimum tires, the handling/ride is typical Mazda. In other words, precise, aggressive, and so damn fun! It definitely feels much lighter compared to my 2nd-gen, which makes it more nimble and willing to take curves at higher speeds.

Inside, the quality and fit-and-finish is still surprising as to how good it really is! Every surface I see and touch looks as if it's straight out of an Audi. The seats are getting more comfortable every day, and the cooling function is IMO just fantastic! As I mentioned, I'm slowly acclimating to the radar cruise and the other newer functions, but the LED adaptive lighting and high-beam control is just about perfect, both in looks, and how well it lights up the road at night.

I do have one gripe: if Mazda decided to go LEDs for all the outside lighting, as well as the turn-signals and puddle lamps on the door, then why cheap out and go with filament bulbs in the interior ceiling and in the trunk? This will be addressed in a future mod, but still...

I'm also looking into getting a few other items in the near future. Stay tuned!

And yes, pics are coming! As soon as I get them loaded onto my new pic-hosting site...
Congratulations. You had your 2010 for quite a while. Nice to see you found a worthy replacement.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Congrats!

Totally agree. You can swap out all 4 ceiling lights literally in less than 10 minutes. I got the bulbs at Advance Auto. Sylvania DE3175 festoon bulbs. Prolly could have gotten them cheaper online but I was impatient. :grin2:

FYI The trunk bulb is a tiny little thing. Less than the size of my thumbnail. There was no local replacement for it (LED) or the festoon visor lights tha I could find. I’ll have to look online. The glove box light looks similar to the trunk light but I could not figure out for the life of me how to get the #$&*@! thing out to check.

Enjoy! Looking forward to hearing more impressions.

#6 ·
Finally got pics up in post #1 , and also in my garage.

Totally agree. You can swap out all 4 ceiling lights literally in less than 10 minutes. I got the bulbs at Advance Auto. Sylvania DE3175 festoon bulbs. Prolly could have gotten them cheaper online but I was impatient. :grin2:

FYI The trunk bulb is a tiny little thing. Less than the size of my thumbnail. There was no local replacement for it (LED) or the festoon visor lights tha I could find. I’ll have to look online. The glove box light looks similar to the trunk light but I could not figure out for the life of me how to get the #$&*@! thing out to check.

If my research is correct, the trunk bulb is 194. The LED swap will happen, probably in a month or so when things calm down a little at my end.

Congrats sir! Very excited for you. Glad you're loving it. Not sure if it's a direct swap, but the signature trim does have the LEDs in the interior. So not sure if it's as simple as grabbing those part numbers, but I'm certain it's definitely cheaper to go the aftermarket route. Just an option I was thinking

Again, congrats! Very happy for you!
I've got a couple of vendors in mind, but yeah, buying then through Mazda may be a little pricey (like everything else lol).

And thank you for a mod inspiration. I'm planning on doing that front plate mod as soon as this weekend. :)

#5 ·
Congrats sir! Very excited for you. Glad you're loving it. Not sure if it's a direct swap, but the signature trim does have the LEDs in the interior. So not sure if it's as simple as grabbing those part numbers, but I'm certain it's definitely cheaper to go the aftermarket route. Just an option I was thinking

Again, congrats! Very happy for you!

#9 ·
I can't compare it well with previous years, since I never owned a blue 6, but to me, the color is fantastic! The metal flake varies the brightness of the blue, and in certain light there's a purple/black hue to it. It also makes the 6 look more upscale and sophisticated.

A couple of gripes:
- I miss my CD player. Yeah, it's more of a reflection on me than the 6, but I still do.
- The Lane Departure Warning can get annoying, especially in construction zones, where the road striping isn't always accurate. Luckily there's a way to defeat it.
- My 2nd-gen had two hooks in the trunk, which I used to hold my hardhat and safety vest. No hooks on the '18.

Other than that, still a dream on wheels.

I placed an order for LEDs for the interior lights and trunk, they should be arriving soon. Still need to do the front plate mod, and I'm planning on getting mud flaps, pedal covers, side window deflectors, and Mazda Canada OEM floor liners in the near-future.

#14 ·
First mod!

I ordered 4 of these VLED bulbs for the door/map lights, trying out the new 5500K that was recently introduced. With the help of this thread (thanks again Byakuya), I was able to pop them in with no issue (no blown fuse, no scratches on the trim, etc.), and the results speak for themselves:

The bulbs are pure white, without a hint of blue, which is exactly what I wanted, and they're also MUCH brighter than the stock filaments.

I also went with this bulb for the trunk. Now before anyone else calls me on it, yes, I went with a 194 instead of a 74 bulb. This is totally and completely my fault, because I didn't double-check this thread for confirmation. However, I was able to actually use the 194 bulb after all. All I needed to do was to trim the plastic ends of the base inward all the way to the contact edges, and with a little force, I was able to pop it into the housing, and it works perfectly!

I'll add more pics at night as soon as I can, but even in daylight, they're quite bright. And of course, the quality and materials of these bulbs are second to none IMO. Worth every penny...

#15 ·
I also went with this bulb for the trunk. Now before anyone else calls me on it, yes, I went with a 194 instead of a 74 bulb. This is totally and completely my fault, because I didn't double-check this thread for confirmation. However, I was able to actually use the 194 bulb after all. All I needed to do was to trim the plastic ends of the base inward all the way to the contact edges, and with a little force, I was able to pop it into the housing, and it works perfectly!

I'll add more pics at night as soon as I can, but even in daylight, they're quite bright. And of course, the quality and materials of these bulbs are second to none IMO. Worth every penny...
Oh my, I am glad you did this because I don't think any of the #74 bulb options are nearly bright enough to light up the large trunk in a functional manner. I have to wonder why Mazda decided to go with bulbs meant for gauges and speedometers in such a big area like the trunk. Will definitely go with the 194 and modify to fit.

#17 ·
I took a few cell phone pics when I got back from seeing some friends last night:

When I shut off the ignition and the lights went on, I literally jumped at how abruptly bright the LEDs were. Almost TOO bright!

Then I went to the back...

Pardon the mess, I've got some of my work equipment.

I don't think I'll ever have any issue finding anything in the trunk anymore, especially at night... lol

Reactions: 93blkongreenpro
#20 ·
They still fade, but not as full or long.

Say the incandescent bulbs fade by counting down from 5,4,3,2,1,0.

I'd say the LEDs are 5,4,3,2.5,0. :)

Reactions: Dougspeed
#23 ·
August 5th update:

After a long-overdue, excellent two-week vacation out in Las Vegas, I came home to find the OEM splash guards, Weathertech side-window deflectors, and Weathertech Techshade had arrived.

Installing the splash guards was simple and easy, despite the 90-degree with oppressive dewpoint weather. Pics will follow, once I get the car washed up from sitting idle for two weeks.

The Techshade fits snug and tight, as has the previous version I had for my '10, and it's the typical Weathertech top-notch quality and materials that I've come to expect from them. The side-window deflectors will be installed soon also, after the previously-mentioned wash takes place.

As for the 6, it will hit 3000 miles tomorrow, and has yet to disappoint me in any way... :)

Reactions: Jaggrey
#26 ·
*drumroll*

You asked for them (or didn't, I don't care either way), you got them! Splash guard pics:

As mentioned before, quick and easy installation, using common hand tools and about an hour total (for all four corners). It took slightly longer installing the rears, since it was a tough reach to loosen up one of the bolts to pull the fender liner free.

One thing to double-check: the part number for the rear splash guards (GBVG-V3-460) is indeed different from the rear guards on '14-'17 models. I've noticed that some parts websites are mistakenly using the old part number for the '18s, or don't show them at all. So be sure to verify the correct part number before placing an order. You may even need to "kindly remind" the guy/gal behind the parts counter that yes, rear guards DO exist for the '18, and are different than the previous version.

#27 ·
I didn't realize the 2018's came with Falken tires, how do you like them? I am pleasantly surprised they went away from the dreadful Dunlops but Falken still seems like an odd choice considering some of the other Mazda models come with Yokohoma. Any feedback on the feel and road noise from the Falkens?

#30 ·
My experience mirror's the admin's above. They're decent all around tires but don't expect to do any aggressive driving with them. They understeer quite early and definitely lack grip when you floor it off the line, but in daily driving, they're fine. They're quiet, comfortable and don't tramline over uneven pavement. And that squirm you'll feel if you take a turn too hot is definitely hair raising, I think part of it comes from the G-Vectoring that shifts the weight from the rear to the front making it feel like the rear end is loose. That being said, I've driven on much worse tires that I had to swap out immediately. The Falkens, I'll drive on till I wear it down a bit before I replace them.

#31 ·
Took some time to install these yesterday.

So far, I like them. They look soooo much nicer and more upscale than the stick-on models that AVS or even Mazda offers. They may also be more expensive, but they're very high-quality and well-made.

The front window deflectors pop right in the track and fit tightly, without any wobble or looseness. The rears use an adhesive strip to attach to the underside of the top edge, and also pop into place...

One word of caution/warning: I discovered that the rear end (toward the trunk) of the rear deflectors had a large tab that didn't seem to fit entirely within the window frame, and basically shifted the entire deflector toward the B-pillar, so much that it could bend and "pop out" the black plastic trim between the front and rear door. I took a knife and trimmed off about 1/8" of the excess tab on both the rear deflectors, then popped them into place. This improved the fitment greatly, and don't place as much stress on the B-pillar plastic. I'm not sure if the revisions to the door weatherstripping for the '18 models caused the fitment to be shifted, but trimming the excess tab on the trunk end of the deflector seems to have worked.

Weathertech recommends that the deflectors "settle" into place for a minimum of 12 hours after installation, and I fully recommend that suggestion. Immediately after installation, the deflectors interfered with the windows rolling up fully about 75% of the time, so much that it tripped the safety switches and they rolled fully down by themselves. I could only close them fully via "tapping" the switch, without activating the auto-up. However, today, I had no such problem with the windows rolling fully down or up. The deflectors seems to have "molded" themselves into place quite well, especially in the hot sunshine and 90+ degree temps.

We'll see just how well they do throughout the CNY winter also. That, to me, is the ultimate test... :)

#32 ·
They look good. I also was looking at the Weathertech deflectors, but I have never had these on any car before. Do you see a practical benefit from these or is it more about the looks?

#33 ·
The benefits to these are more practical than just the looks.

The biggest benefit is that you can leave your windows open (about an inch or so) when parked. They keep rain from dripping in and spotting/ruining your seats, and the tint hides the fact that your windows are open. This is a HUGE benefit to cars with dark (or leather) interiors on very hot/humid days. Using these and a sunshield, they help to keep the car interior cooler and allow fresh air to circulate.

For most cars, they also provide extra wind buffeting when your windows are down while driving, and usually help to quiet the interior also.

I had these for each of my previous vehicles, except for my '10 Mazda6, and they were all very useful for me. I didn't get them for the '10 because Weathertech did not make an in-channel version of them, and other aftermarket stick-on versions covered up the chrome strip above the window, making them look tacky and unappealing...

#35 ·
Picked up some winter shoes already...

I picked them up Thursday from a seller on Craigslist and spent a few minutes cleaning them up today.

Now... Time to sell my old set of 16"s...

#42 ·
Picked up some winter shoes already...
I picked them up Thursday from a seller on Craigslist and spent a few minutes cleaning them up today.

Now... Time to sell my old set of 16"s...
Really liking your tasteful mods! I have a set of 205/55R16s from my Mazda 3, will probably sell them and get 17s for the winter as well. Although Vancouver winters aren't that tough... In the city we rarely get any snow but I'm planning to do some road trips.

#40 ·
Any chance you can post a large scale photo of your avatar please? (The shot of your 2018 headlight at night please?)
Here you go...

Let me know if you'd like anything else.

Attachments

#43 ·
I got my floor liners in the mail yesterday, so I figured I'd pop them in and take a few pics, since they'll never be as clean and presentable as they will be when new, and they'll be put to good use this weekend, since we're expecting our first (of many, I'm sure) nor'easter of the year.

The fitment is excellent. They slip right into place and have an inch-high lip along the entire edge of the liner. They look to be of good quality and material, so I think they'll do just fine during the CNY winters and the mud/muck I track in from my work boots.

The one HUGE advantage I saw with these is that the drivers liner covers the dead pedal area, which is perfect, since my left foot is there about 90% of the time, and the carpeting tends to get quite dirty and discolored up in that corner. The other (purely aesthetic) thing is the "Mazda 6" plaque and the logo molded into the mat. It looks great to me anyway...

In case you are interested:
Click me for the front set
Click me for the rear liner (1 piece)

They're pricey, I admit, but if they last through all the abuse that they'll get from me, they'll be worth it.

#47 ·
I got my floor liners in the mail yesterday, so I figured I'd pop them in and take a few pics, since they'll never be as clean and presentable as they will be when new, and they'll be put to good use this weekend, since we're expecting our first (of many, I'm sure) nor'easter of the year.
Yeah buddy! Just put mine in this week too. Such a good looking mat, crazy impossible to clean once they've been weathered though

I had these on my '16 3. If there's anyone who can get stuff clean, it's normally me. As much as I tried, as you said, they're only presentable when they're brand new. Regardless - they do the trick

#44 ·
Does the driver side mat stay clipped in? The factory mat on my car won't stay clipped on to the left peg. They even replaced my mat with a new one and the same thing happens. I've seen others post they have the same problem. I'm curious if the aftermarket ones do better or have the same issue.

#45 ·
It's stayed in place so far, but I've only driven it twice since I installed them, so it's too early to tell. I'll update this as time goes on.

I too am having that same issue with the OEM drivers mat. I've discovered that if exit out of the car by twisting my feet a certain way, especially with my work boots, that's when it pops out of the clip. Since I've been more cognizant of it, I've been more... deliberate, you can say... when I get out, and the clip stays in place far more often. It's hard to describe, but it seemed to make a difference.

#46 ·
Thanks for the response.

Yes, I've noticed that if I put too much pressure on the center of the mat or put/twist my foot a certain way is when it pops out. I've tried to adjust how I get in and out, but I shouldn't have to.

It seems that if the center of the mat was firmer then it wouldn't happen as much. The center of the mat depresses quite a bit and causes the corners to lift up and the left peg to unclip. I thought about putting something like a thin piece of wood under the mat to firm it up and see if that helps but haven't tried it yet.

#50 ·
Just an update on the mats...
Thanks for the response.

Yes, I've noticed that if I put too much pressure on the center of the mat or put/twist my foot a certain way is when it pops out. I've tried to adjust how I get in and out, but I shouldn't have to.

It seems that if the center of the mat was firmer then it wouldn't happen as much. The center of the mat depresses quite a bit and causes the corners to lift up and the left peg to unclip. I thought about putting something like a thin piece of wood under the mat to firm it up and see if that helps but haven't tried it yet.
Since I installed the mats, the lower left peg has NOT popped out, not once. This includes driving with my work boots on, as well as them being exposed to freeze/thaw and snow/ice, as well as mud and rainwater.
Just order a set the other day. One thing I wonder is how much improved NVH on the 18 was via the high pile floor mats. I.e. wonder if replacing the original floor mat with these plastic mats will affect interior NVH.

But anxious to get them. They look nice.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
IMO they have no effect on the NVH of the '18 compared to the carpet mats. I only noticed a difference when I got my winter wheels/tires installed this past weekend, but I blame that on the Blizzaks. In fact, the Blizzaks showed me just how quiet and calm the "SUV" tires are on the '18s... lol

#49 ·
Ready for the CNY winter!

FINALLY got my winter wheels/tires installed this weekend (after the 1st Lake Effect snow and 1st Nor'easter of the season, of course... lol)

The install was Friday, and I've put some miles on them since then. A few observations:

- I'm SOOOO glad I decided to upgrade from 16" steelies to the 17" MSW rims for my new 3rd-gen. The wheels fill out the wheelwells pretty nicely, while still allowing room for getting any snow/ice build-up. The 16" rims were okay on my '10, but IMO they'd look like Cheerios on my '18.

- The verdict on the Blizzaks is still out. I did buy them used, so they already have 2 seasons on them. Traction on snowy roads and parking lots is very good, and as expected for a winter tire, but compared to my previous X-ices which had 4 seasons of use on my '10, they're quite loud, and feel a little more squirmy on dry pavement. I'll reserve my final judgement on them after this winter.

- And, just like on my 2nd-gen, I have no TPMS sensors installed, so the TPMS light flashes for the first 30-40 seconds, then stays lit. Also like the 2nd-gen, the light has no effect on the handling or function of any other systems on the 6 (ABS, traction control, etc.), and the light itself is dimmer and farther to the side of the instrument cluster, so it's not as noticeable and/or distracting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.