Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
I have been reading posts on this forum for a while now and have decided to register to participate in it.
I'm a new and happy owner of the above mentioned Mazda which I have bought used as a CPO. It's a fantastic car and for the most part I'm very happy with it but back to my question, maybe I'm paranoid or looking to much into something that doesn't exist but I'm wandering about the proper engine temperature. I've been used to see the needle on the gauge temp at slightly below half in the previous cars I have owned ( none of which had a digital temp gauge) in this car, needle stays at right before the middle mark (210 F ) and now when the temps are in the 80's it goes into right in the middle for a couple of seconds before returning back to it's "normal" position. I'm curious to know what is normal engine temp of your cars as I couldn't find it anywhere on the net. My second problem has to do with the transmission, after initial start when cold and driving on the road from my driveway or parking lot after work there's always a little jerky shift from the 1st into 2nd gear after that it goes back to normal.
Any thoughts on these two issues would be greatly appreciated
IMG_20200604_193013.jpg

·
Registered
221 Posts
It would be best if you could plug in a ScanGauge or other device that would show you the ECU data stream's engine coolant temperature (ECT) value. That's more reliably accurate than a dash gauge.

I can tell you that my non-turbo 6 (a '15) runs in the 195 - 203F range while driving down the freeway in ambient temps in the low 100s to 110F. It doesn't drop that much when ambient temp is in the 80s or below.

I'd be interested in your automatic transmission fluid temp, if you have access to a ScanGauge.

The shift issue may be easily correct-able. One strategy to try is to force it to re-learn its shift patterns (force-learn procedure or disconnect the battery for a while). Another is to change the ATF. I don't see that you listed how many miles you have on your car, so I can't tell how important I think that part might be for you.

There's a sharp division on this board about whether the ATF should be changed in these cars. I am one who feels strongly that it is good and necessary for maximum durability and retained shift quality. There are others who feel strongly that the ATF must never be changed. I've drained and refilled mine 4 times now (including yesterday). The 3x drain-and-fill sequence I performed last year shortly after getting the car improved shift quality significantly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi bulwnkl
Thanks for your response. The temp that your car is running seems more like what I'm used to seeing in my previous cars, hence the question, even more so my buddy has 2018 mazda cx9 so the same engine and he's saying it's running at around 200 F. I did forgot to mention that I did take this to my local dealer for them to check this temp issue, they hooked it up to the computer and said they could find any problem with it. That was shortly after I bought it. Car had a 22,000 miles when I bought it, now has 29,000 and is due for another oil change next week I figured I could get some more info from other users to bring this up again when I go to the dealer, as for the tranny I haven't mentioned it at the service dept but will def do it next week. It was a big part of the reason why I bought a CPO and expecting Mazda to take care of it while still on 36,000 + 12,000 miles B to B warranty.
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
It was a big part of the reason why I bought a CPO and expecting Mazda to take care of it while still on 36,000 + 12,000 miles B to B warranty.
Thanks again
Youd think. But after hitting a dear and having $10k in work fixed, i find out my CPO didnt even have the factory hood, messed up clear coat and splotched base coat. All they offered to do is give me top dollar on a trade.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, and my CPO was a manager's car ( wink wink )
I still would like to know from the other 2.5l turbo owners what's their cars running temp is so I can either sleep well if it's normal of have something to confront the dealer with. I would like to bring this issue up with the dealer again when I go for the oil change next week and will ask for the printout of the ECT readout from the ECU. I need to solve this once and for all.
On the side note, I used to own '97 eclipse gst, I loved this car and it's 4g63 engine.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
From what I understand, normal temperature is around the boiling point of water. It has something to do with thermal efficiency. Since the radiator is pressurized, it won't boil at 100°C.

In my case, temperature is about 98°C. I don't think there's a difference between models. I have the diesel variant, 2017 (but called as 2018 in our local place).

One thing that I don't like with the digital display, the temperature is not always shown. I prefer it to be displayed all the time, just like the fuel gauge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys
I appreciate your input, so far so good it seems to be confirming that the temp is perfectly normal. Out of curiosity, I'm assuming that on your cars the temp is displayed in the Celsius ( for those living in Canada ) what temp is at the middle mark?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Guys
I appreciate your input, so far so good it seems to be confirming that the temp is perfectly normal. Out of curiosity, I'm assuming that on your cars the temp is displayed in the Celsius ( for those living in Canada ) what temp is at the middle mark?
I remember it's 100°C. I'll check it out tomorrow. And by the way, I don't live in Canada. I think the rest of the world is using the SI or metric system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I remember it's 100°C. I'll check it out tomorrow. And by the way, I don't live in Canada. I think the rest of the world is using the SI or metric system.
Philippines if I remember the flags correctly.
Thanks Archerfish for your input I do appreciate it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Guys
As @Archerfish mentioned, the top center value is 100C. And when the engine is running at it's operating temperature, it's just a hair before 100C.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 6 Grand Touring
4 Posts
My 2020 Grand Touring with the 2.5 Turbo rests at the same temp. It has 100 miles on it now. I was almost worried too, with it being a new car. This is normal seems to be the consensus.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine overheated last week after 1st use of AC in humid weather. There is a known thermostat issue for this model. TSB 01-023/19. PCM needs to be reset by dealer.
Funny you've said that. I was driving home from work last evening it was around 92 Fahrenheit and ac was on like in your case, I was driving it easy around 40-60 MPH easy on the gas pedal and after a little while temp started to rise above normal 1st right at 210 deg and back at normal then a notch past 210 and going back to 210 and over a notch again, started to think if there's an air pockets trapped in the system. I took a picture of the gauge ( attached ), going to the dealer tomorrow for an oil change will bring this TSB up with him, see what he says.
Thanks
IMG_20200610_185939.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi guys
I have been reading posts on this forum for a while now and have decided to register to participate in it.
I'm a new and happy owner of the above mentioned Mazda which I have bought used as a CPO. It's a fantastic car and for the most part I'm very happy with it but back to my question, maybe I'm paranoid or looking to much into something that doesn't exist but I'm wandering about the proper engine temperature. I've been used to see the needle on the gauge temp at slightly below half in the previous cars I have owned ( none of which had a digital temp gauge) in this car, needle stays at right before the middle mark (210 F ) and now when the temps are in the 80's it goes into right in the middle for a couple of seconds before returning back to it's "normal" position. I'm curious to know what is normal engine temp of your cars as I couldn't find it anywhere on the net. My second problem has to do with the transmission, after initial start when cold and driving on the road from my driveway or parking lot after work there's always a little jerky shift from the 1st into 2nd gear after that it goes back to normal.
Any thoughts on these two issues would be greatly appreciated View attachment 240242
As your gauge shows, you have a long way to go before getting concerned concerned
Hi guys
Any thoughts on these two issues would be greatly appreciated View attachment 240242
I wouldn't worry so much about a coolant temperature running as shown. Our 2014 Mazda CX5 2.5 liter didn't even have a coolant temperature gauge. Our 2019 CX5 non turbo indicates like in the picture, just under 210F. My 2007 MS6 cooling system operates at 18psi, I just checked it, our CX5 operates with 16 PSI system with FL22 coolant. The MS6 temp gauge has a C & H at each end with no temperature numbers, so who knows what temp it runs.
A mix of 50/50 solution of anti freeze and water under 16 psi boils at 250F, water boils at 212 (100C) and your gauge reads 210, the engine is a long way away from danger of overheating.
The bigger concern seems to be the transmission. I would get that documented as early as possible. Anyone that has ever dropped the pan of an automatic can tell you, it's a mess in the bottom of the pan from the friction material slowly getting scrubbed off changing gears. I never could understand why manufacturers never installed an external oil filter for an automatic like for the engine. I guess engineers figured dirty fluid is better then reduced fluid from a clogged filter people neglect to change.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks jb86796
I know there is a plenty of the "safe" zone on the gage left and there is no real concern, I just don't like it that the temp is slowly creeping up now when it got a little warmer and summer haven't even started yet. Since there is a TSB issued regarding faulty working fans I'm going to have them look into it and Have them to load new software into the PCM, can't hurt. As for the transmission I'm definitely bringing this up with the dealer as it's literally happens every single time at the beginning of the drive

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi guys
What kind of transmission , or transaxle does your Mazda have

1 - 20 of 21 Posts