Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon board.. quick question so far my current mileage is 7,500 and have no complaints.. around 3,500 miles I had a early oil change done at my local Mazda dealer where the car was purchased. They put regular 5W30 engine oil (non-synthetic). However, after about a month I read my owners manual it clearly states since my vehicle is a turbo application..the vehicle needs 5W30 synthetic engine oil. As a result, I immediately took the car to a different local dealer and this time they used 5W30 synthetic oil.

Prior to getting my second oil change done using 5W30 Synthetic.. I called the Mazda customer center hotline and told them regarding the first oil change not being synthetic. They told me not to worry and the Turbo Skyactive can use either 5W30 Non-Synthetic or 5W30 Synthetic for "optimal performance"...

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Very unlikely you did any real harm -- but the stealer did it, so keep the documentation just in case.

And run synthetic in the future. The turbo in particular will thank you for that.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Bizarre how SO MANY dealers are ignoring the oil requirements...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very unlikely you did any real harm -- but the stealer did it, so keep the documentation just in case.

And run synthetic in the future. The turbo in particular will thank you for that.
Yes I did and contacted Mazda customer service hotline to let them know.. after checking the Mobile1 oil finder the most basic "viscosity" my car uses is indeed 5W30 and above to the Synthetic level.

https://mobiloil.com/en/product-selector?Year=2018&Model=Ng==&Make=TWF6ZGE=&Engine=R3JhbmQgVG91cmluZyBSZXNlcnZlIDQtQ3lsIDIuNSAoWSkgKEdBUyk=

·
Registered
22 Posts
Synthetic or non synthetic shouldn't make a difference in keeping the enging healthy. The only difference would be the intervals for oil changes. With Synthetic you can go longer between oil changes.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Synthetic or non synthetic shouldn't make a difference in keeping the enging healthy. The only difference would be the intervals for oil changes. With Synthetic you can go longer between oil changes.

I disagree. Synthetics have far better tolerances to heat as such anything with a turbo should be running synthetic. You will coke up a turbo in no time on regular dino oil. Not saying it won't work, just shouldn't do it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I disagree. Synthetics have far better tolerances to heat as such anything with a turbo should be running synthetic. You will coke up a turbo in no time on regular dino oil. Not saying it won't work, just shouldn't do it.
And I disagree. You are just blowing unnecessary money when putting in synthetic, unless you are racing the car, or like I said, you prefer to keep your oil longer. As per the OP the manufacturer's customer service department said it's ok to put in regular oil, then just use regular oil, because it was designed for it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
And I disagree. You are just blowing unnecessary money when putting in synthetic, unless you are racing the car, or like I said, you prefer to keep your oil longer. As per the OP the manufacturer's customer service department said it's ok to put in regular oil, then just use regular oil, because it was designed for it.
Respectfully, I cannot disagree more. Case in point, the VW B5 era Passat 1.8 turbo history. Problems with oil sludging, cooked turbos, etc...Part of VW's solution was to mandate Synthetic Blend if not Full Synthetic, 502.00 VW spec. They would prefer you using Full Synthetic. And yes i have one of these exact cars. Did I run dino oil in it? YES FOR TWO CONSECUTIVE OIL CHANGES ONLY after I bought the car. Now I run nothing but full synthetic in it, period. If a 2000 VW turbo needs synthetic, now much more do today's turbo engines need it with closer tolerances, tighter engine compartments and higher intrinsic under-hood heat indexes?

Now, regarding the OP (Kodo_6GT's) comment here: "I read my owners manual it clearly states since my vehicle is a turbo application..the vehicle needs 5W30 synthetic engine oil. As a result, I immediately took the car to a different local dealer and this time they used 5W30 synthetic oil."

Keep in mind that my local Mazda dealership svc dept carries Castrol 5W-30 conventional oil. I have no idea if they also have synthetic, as this was before I had interest in a new Maz6 Siggy...

So I just downloaded the 2018 Owners manual. What I have found is this in section 6, pg 25:

Temperature Range SAE Viscosity Oils
Skyactiv 2.5T-G
(Europe)
Recommended oil:
Mazda Original Oil 5W-30 (this is a full synthetic)

Alternative Oil Quality:
API SN or ACEA A5/B5 0W-30 or 5W-30

(Except Europe)

API SN or ACEA A5/B5 10W-30, 5W-30, 0W-30

Just just where the OP found the Synthetic Specified in the manual remains in question, (unless they are in Europe and its clearly Recommended Synthetic)... having said that, though today's dino oils are better then ever (with additives for turbos, etc) today's synthetics are even BETTER. Add to that the old but still current adage:
"An ounce of Prevention prevents a pound of cure", I wouldn't skimp on motor oil on the cheap. Go all in and save yourself some massive cash outlay down the road on possible costly repairs that could have been avoided. It's not that much more $$ for the synthetic...what, the cost of one sub sandwich lunch?

Don't forget your spark plugs should be replaced every 60,000km (about 37,000 miles) on that 2.5T...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Respectfully, I cannot disagree more. Case in point, the VW B5 era Passat 1.8 turbo history. Problems with oil sludging, cooked turbos, etc...Part of VW's solution was to mandate Synthetic Blend if not Full Synthetic, 502.00 VW spec. They would prefer you using Full Synthetic. And yes i have one of these exact cars. Did I run dino oil in it? YES FOR TWO CONSECUTIVE OIL CHANGES ONLY after I bought the car. Now I run nothing but full synthetic in it, period. If a 2000 VW turbo needs synthetic, now much more do today's turbo engines need it with closer tolerances, tighter engine compartments and higher intrinsic under-hood heat indexes?

Now, regarding the OP (Kodo_6GT's) comment here: "I read my owners manual it clearly states since my vehicle is a turbo application..the vehicle needs 5W30 synthetic engine oil. As a result, I immediately took the car to a different local dealer and this time they used 5W30 synthetic oil."

Keep in mind that my local Mazda dealership svc dept carries Castrol 5W-30 conventional oil. I have no idea if they also have synthetic, as this was before I had interest in a new Maz6 Siggy...

So I just downloaded the 2018 Owners manual. What I have found is this in section 6, pg 25:

Temperature Range SAE Viscosity Oils
Skyactiv 2.5T-G
(Europe)
Recommended oil:
Mazda Original Oil 5W-30 (this is a full synthetic)

Alternative Oil Quality:
API SN or ACEA A5/B5 0W-30 or 5W-30

(Except Europe)

API SN or ACEA A5/B5 10W-30, 5W-30, 0W-30

Just just where the OP found the Synthetic Specified in the manual remains in question, (unless they are in Europe and its clearly Recommended Synthetic)... having said that, though today's dino oils are better then ever (with additives for turbos, etc) today's synthetics are even BETTER. Add to that the old but still current adage:
"An ounce of Prevention prevents a pound of cure", I wouldn't skimp on motor oil on the cheap. Go all in and save yourself some massive cash outlay down the road on possible costly repairs that could have been avoided. It's not that much more $$ for the synthetic...what, the cost of one sub sandwich lunch?

Don't forget your spark plugs should be replaced every 60,000km (about 37,000 miles) on that 2.5T...
Gosh people get so finicky with their oil. If mazda dealers use dino oils and most shops will use dino oil, don't you think it's ok?
I used to own a modified turbo b16 civic and only used regular oil, that engine went 85k miles with the turbo, no problems. The only thing I did was change it every 1k miles and I always used the recommended viscosity.
But if you want to continue using synthetic go ahead and I will continue doing what I do. My car only has 2300 miles, but it already went through its first oil change, and guess what, the dealer used regular dino oil. It's common practice so let's not call foul when there is no foul.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Gosh people get so finicky with their oil. If mazda dealers use dino oils and most shops will use dino oil, don't you think it's ok?
I used to own a modified turbo b16 civic and only used regular oil, that engine went 85k miles with the turbo, no problems. The only thing I did was change it every 1k miles and I always used the recommended viscosity.
But if you want to continue using synthetic go ahead and I will continue doing what I do. My car only has 2300 miles, but it already went through its first oil change, and guess what, the dealer used regular dino oil. It's common practice so let's not call foul when there is no foul.
Yes let's not, because I didn't "call foul". I really could care less if you choose to put lemonade in your crankcase. I'm just stating facts re the Passat issue for starters....And yes, my local Mazda dealership also has the Synthetic...must be a reason for that....carry on. OH BTW, it is still unclear just what the Owners Manual is saying here....BTW more and more cars ARE mandating Synthetics...one reason is that say 0W-20 oil which is soup de jour for many cars today is strictly...Synthetic. Carry on...

To the OP can you guide us to what section and page in your Owners Manual it clearly states the 2.5T should have synthetic? Because IF they do, it should be adhered to...

·
Registered
194 Posts
around 3,500 miles I had a early oil change done at my local Mazda dealer where the car was purchased. They put regular 5W30 engine oil (non-synthetic). However, after about a month I read my owners manual it clearly states since my vehicle is a turbo application..the vehicle needs 5W30 synthetic engine oil...Prior to getting my second oil change done using 5W30 Synthetic.. I called the Mazda customer center hotline and told them regarding the first oil change not being synthetic. They told me not to worry and the Turbo Skyactive can use either 5W30 Non-Synthetic or 5W30 Synthetic for "optimal performance"...
Please cite where in the Owner's Manual this appears. I just downloaded from Mazda and went to the oil information page (page 6-22). Furthermore, I ran a search for the term "synthetic" and there were zero results. Your call to Customer service said that synthetic was for "optimal performance" and not to worry about it.

Yes I did and contacted Mazda customer service hotline to let them know.. after checking the Mobile1 oil finder the most basic "viscosity" my car uses is indeed 5W30 and above to the Synthetic level.
https://mobiloil.com/en/product-selector?Year=2018&Model=Ng%3d%3d&Make=TWF6ZGE%3d&Engine=R3JhbmQgVG91cmluZyBSZXNlcnZlIDQtQ3lsIDIuNSAoWSkgKEdBUyk%3d
Did you scroll down the page-full of acceptable oils and see that conventional oil was there as well? Marketing 101 says that you always put the items with the highest return first.
I then changed the vehicle to an 89 Camaro and it gave the same page. When I tried with an 80 Caprice it stated it required 15w40 which they don't carry... but the owner's manual actually states 10w30

·
Registered
194 Posts
Can you provide an instance of an actual Automobile Manufacturer stating you can extend your oil change interval if you use synthetic oil? I am not asking of your personal experience, or what you have read from an oil company, or of what you have read on the internet.
Please note that I am not saying that you cannot extend the interval, and manufacturers in the past ran 2 service schedules based on your driving conditions and not if you use synthetic.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Dealers work on more than the latest & greatest version of a car. They have loyal customers who are still bringing in 30 year olds 626's

IMHO 85000 miles is nothing to brag about. Having to change the oil every 1000 miles seems excessive for a street car

·
Registered
682 Posts
First off, we are specifically talking about the 2.5 Turbo Engine. Please keep that in mind.

Have to disagree with the bolded statements.

Using the recommended oil is not "blowing unnecessary money". The 2018 Mazda 6 Manual specifically calls for 5W-30 Full Synthetic engine oil for the 2.5 TURBO.

Customer service is not a bunch of know-it-alls when it comes to your car. The fact that they would go against the printed manual is proof enough. Their department is "customer service" not "service mechanics".

Now that IS excessive. You really believe you're saving money changing dino oil every 1K miles rather than full syn. approx. every 5K? LMAO

The dealer used dino oil because it's cheaper and they are trying to compete with other shops using the same cheap oil.

To the OP can you guide us to what section and page in your Owners Manual it clearly states the 2.5T should have synthetic? Because IF they do, it should be adhered to...
Wife is out with the car ATM or I would give you the page. Go to the maintenance schedule in the manual. It is clearly stated there to use Full Syn.

Can you provide an instance of an actual Automobile Manufacturer stating you can extend your oil change interval if you use synthetic oil? I am not asking of your personal experience, or what you have read from an oil company, or of what you have read on the internet.
Please note that I am not saying that you cannot extend the interval, and manufacturers in the past ran 2 service schedules based on your driving conditions and not if you use synthetic.
As has been mentioned in this thread, manufacturers have a recommended oil change interval with the newer cars having an "Oil Life Monitor" that is meant to tell you when to change the oil. More newer cars are now filled with Full Syn. from the factory than aren't. This is why you see them going 10-15K miles before an oil change is needed. If they were running dino oil the change intervals would be much sooner.

IMHO 85000 miles is nothing to brag about. Having to change the oil every 1000 miles seems excessive for a street car
Won't argue with this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You are not supposed to go beyond the manufacturer's intervals. What I was trying to convey is that synthetic just lasts longer, so if there are people who don't like to get frequent oil changes it is a better option for them. But if you are into changing it frequently synthetic is nearly useless imo.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This wasn't just a street car. I did specify that it was modified so it had street duty and heavy track duty as well. And I did not have to change it every 1k miles, but just chose to be on a safe side. 85k miles of taking it regularly to redline and maxing out everything often is a pretty hard life for an engine. So I beg to differ.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wife is out with the car ATM or I would give you the page. Go to the maintenance schedule in the manual. It is clearly stated there to use Full Syn.

No it does not. It says to use Mazda Genuine 5w-30 engine oil to ensure "optimum fuel economy", right there on page 6-22. There is no mention of synthetic.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Using the recommended oil is not "blowing unnecessary money". The 2018 Mazda 6 Manual specifically calls for 5W-30 Full Synthetic engine oil for the 2.5 TURBO...
I have downloaded the manual and I will have to disagree on this being clearly stated. I even searched for synthetic and there were no instances found.
https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/pdf/owners-optimized/2018/mzd6/2018_mazda6_owners_manual.pdf

Customer service is not a bunch of know-it-alls when it comes to your car. The fact that they would go against the printed manual is proof enough. Their department is "customer service" not "service mechanics".
But then again, if synthetic is not required as per the owner's manual, then they wouldn't be going against it.

The dealer used dino oil because it's cheaper and they are trying to compete with other shops using the same cheap oil.
Business sense says to sell the product with the highest return on investment, and in the case of a consumer not wanting to use what is recommended they will warn the customer.
Again, if the manual is not requiring synthetic, there is nothing wrong with this.

As has been mentioned in this thread, manufacturers have a recommended oil change interval with the newer cars having an "Oil Life Monitor" that is meant to tell you when to change the oil. More newer cars are now filled with Full Syn. from the factory than aren't. This is why you see them going 10-15K miles before an oil change is needed. If they were running dino oil the change intervals would be much sooner.
You may want to re-read the scheduled maintenance section of your owner's manual (pg 6-5). "Severe Service" driving has an interval of 6 month/5000 miles. The "Flexible" schedule says to change when the wrench and has a caveat of "Max interval: 12 months or 12,000 km (7,500 miles))"
Funny thing is.... the Owner's Manual for a 1998 Mazda 626 has the exact same schedule. So in essence with better engineering and superior lubricants, the interval has not changed in 20+ years

Update: Mazda Europe Differences

https://www.mazda.co.uk/handlers/TwedlePdfDownload.ashx?u=/media/mazda/8c1ef_Mazda6_Owner's_Manual_8GK3-EE-18C_Edition2_web_OM.pdf&f=Mazda6_Owner's_Manual_8GK3-EE-18C_Edition2_web_OM.pdf

Items to mention:
Longer oil change intervals than the North American models.
- I don't have the desire to search for a 20 year old 626 manual to see if Mazda has changed the intervals

Recommended oil is "Mazda Original Oil Ultra 5W-30", which seems to be a full-synthetic oil.
The alternative (non-Mazda) recommendation is to use oils meeting API SN or ACEA A5/B5 specifications.

- This Mazda oil does not appear to be available in the United States.
- Nowhere does it say synthetic is required in either the manual itself or in the API/ACEA specifications.

-

1 - 19 of 19 Posts