·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
Technically, no.

However, their wording hints that the headlamps themselves act also as a foglamp, which I can understand. Having driven mine for close to a year now, including a ton of night driving, I have to admit I've never had a better set of OEM headlights.

My '10, despite having HIDs, had a clear darkened area right in front of the bumper, in which the fogs filled in. On my '18, there is no drop in intensity from the distant focal point all the way to the front of the car, at least from the driver's seat. The LEDs do an excellent job of spreading out the light evenly and brightly, and the adaptive feature (where the outside unit actually turns toward the direction you are steering) just makes it that much better.

So, IMO you really don't need fogs for added lighting. That is, unless you want to be an assclown and add a set just to blind oncoming drivers...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Grand Touring Reserve here, with the upgraded curve adaptive headlights.

I will say that if you look at exterior of the car at night, the headlights do a good job of the lighting up the surface of the road directly in front of the car like fogs would. The headlights also provide a nice wide beam pattern.

When they say "integrated in the headlight" I take it to mean that the headlights are designed to light up the space fogs normally would.

Kia actually killed the fog lights on the 2016+ Optima intially because the LED headlights made them redundant, but they were brought back with the 2018s due to popular demand for the looks.

They probably kept the fogs on the CX-5 and CX-9 because the headlights are higher off the ground compared to the sedans.

EDIT: @Mz6GreyGhost beat me to it. Same exact car as me as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate your quick replies, @Mz6GreyGhost and @TechZeke. I'm just now asking because we had some torrential rain this morning and I feel it's the first time my lights have been "challenged." I assume our headlamps are different because I don't have the adaptive feature neither do I have the LED design elements on GreyGhost's avatar. Is it possible that I'm missing this "faux fog light" that you guys have? Also, I wonder if it's possible to easily (plug n play) install your headlights on mine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I attached a photo of the ground directly in front of the car when the headlights are on. I would assume that your headlights should be identical, you just don’t have the curve adaptive feature. Also, IIRC, white light tends to struggle more during poor weather than yellow light.

On a side note, being in San Antonio I was probably sleeping through that same storm.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe you're right about visibility in bad weather and color temperature of LED's. I guess I'll do a little bit more research about my headlights.

·
Registered
121 Posts
GT here. I initially thought I’d miss having fog lights, but I don’t. I’m really happy with the headlights on this car. I hate driving our 2016 CX-5 sport with its crappy halogens that look really orange colored and dim in comparison to the LEDs in the 6.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
Vipre77
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing