Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anybody installed Koni Yellows on their 2018+ ??

Koni's Website for 2018 Mazda 6

The website says these are the correct parts for the 2018, but they are also the same PN's as for the 2017, and yet they don't list any application for the 2019. I was under the impression that 2018 Stuts and/or Rear Shocks might be slightly different. Plus Bilstein Does not have shocks listed for 2018+ either.

I have the CorkSport lowering springs on the car with the RSB and love this upgrade, but the dampening feels a too soft. I think the Koni Yellows would be good compliment to the lowering springs.

Anybody here replace their dampeners yet on their 2018?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I will be installing lowering springs soon and had the same question. Anyone running aftermarket dampers on a 2018+ 2.5t?

·
Registered
102 Posts
The suspension side 2018 facelift is different than 2017 prior. It received a re-tune with major changes including new dampers, spring perches and bushings as well as a solid mounted steering rack. I don't know if the springs are also the same or different.

Whether the new dampers are re-worked internally only or also have new physical dimensions I don't know. If the same physically as previous years I don't see why the Konis wouldn't bolt in.

Personally I would reach out to Koni directly via phone or email to confirm given the discrepancy on their website. I could understand them not listing a 2020 as most recent model year if they haven't confirmed fitment yet, but would've thought it would also be compatible with at least the '19 if it's also compatible with the '18.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The suspension side 2018 facelift is different than 2017 prior. It received a re-tune with major changes including new dampers, spring perches and bushings as well as a solid mounted steering rack. I don't know if the springs are also the same or different.

Whether the new dampers are re-worked internally only or also have new physical dimensions I don't know. If the same physically as previous years I don't see why the Konis wouldn't bolt in.

Personally I would reach out to Koni directly via phone or email to confirm given the discrepancy on their website. I could understand them not listing a 2020 as most recent model year if they haven't confirmed fitment yet, but would've thought it would also be compatible with at least the '19 if it's also compatible with the '18.
Thanks dadscar, those were kinda my thought too. I know people are running tanabe springs that are the same part# as 2017 so i would imagine the konis for 2017 will fit and perform fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quite a few months I did reach out to Koni and they were useless, just quoting what was already on their website. However, I did just risk trying the rear Koni shocks and they did fit my 2018 Mazda 6 turbo. PN 8040-1423. The dampening at the rear was WAY too soft, so I thought I would start there.

They have only been on for 1 day, but I think I am going to be happy. The dampening seems appropriate to the CorkSport springs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wait, you put aftermarket springs on with stock shocks and were CONFUSED about them being soft?
Why would you assumed I was confused. If you tried to print out a list of available shocks for a 2018+ Mazda 6 at the time Cork Sport released their springs you would find Zero Options. I still question whether or not the Front Koni's will work. They say they are only good for a 2014-2018 and nothing available for 2019+. The Turbo 6 and the mild refresh occurred in 2018.

Thats a huge no no.
Why? Might the car blow up? No, it was just underdamped, not really a condition to write home about. It still handled better with the lowered springs and after market rear sway bar than the stock set up. Just a little wallowy, especially when loaded.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Stiffer springs can cause the shocks to pop resulting in loss of control. Lowering springs can cause this faster because it puts the shocks and struts outside the range of intended motion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Stiffer springs can cause the shocks to pop resulting in loss of control. Lowering springs can cause this faster because it puts the shocks and struts outside the range of intended motion.
Haha. Really. I call BS. Where did you get your Mechanical Engineering Degree? Mine is from Tufts University. Most every mechanical design has a factor of safety built into the design. On a car suspension it would be probably a factor of 3x or more. The spring rate of the CS lowering spring was about 30% stiffer. If this increased spring rate caused a problem, then the entire Mazda design is flawed. Maybe if I raised the car's weight to 12,000lbs and and increased the spring rate by 300%, then maybe the shock could "Pop".

Pop? This is a technical term?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2020 gtr lowered, i bought the koni yellows front and back a while back because they were on sale. I have not installed them but they look identical and i remember doing alot of research and cross reference and being almost certain they will fit. I have about 10k miles on my tanebe springs with stock shocks and it still rides good and stock shocks are still providing good dampening. No bouncing, nose dive, etc. When my stock shocks go or i have extra spare time( not likely lol) i will install the konis

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Wait, you put aftermarket springs on with stock shocks and were confused about them being soft? Thats a huge no no.
"Fear, Uncertainly and Doubt" is Common enough on the web that there is even an acronym for it - "FUD". People spread FUD out of their own need for a sense of self importance or simply a lack of knowledge. This creates misinformation that others may rely upon. FUD should be pointed out, especially when the FUD alludes to an unsafe or potentially dangerous condition. As you can see from the post directly above yours, "Dlav" has had no problem running lowered springs with the stock shocks. Your statement, "That's a huge no no" was blatantly false and unnecessary FUD and should be corrected.

Acknowledging the fact that my Peepee is bigger, however is appreciated. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 2020 gtr lowered, i bought the koni yellows front and back a while back because they were on sale. I have not installed them but they look identical and i remember doing alot of research and cross reference and being almost certain they will fit. I have about 10k miles on my tanebe springs with stock shocks and it still rides good and stock shocks are still providing good dampening. No bouncing, nose dive, etc. When my stock shocks go or i have extra spare time( not likely lol) i will install the konis
Dlva, Thanks for the input. Please let us know after you have installed the front struts.

Did you buy these Koni's ? Koni Website

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
"Fear, Uncertainly and Doubt" is Common enough on the web that there is even an acronym for it - "FUD". People spread FUD out of their own need for a sense of self importance or simply a lack of knowledge. This creates misinformation that others may rely upon. FUD should be pointed out, especially when the FUD alludes to an unsafe or potentially dangerous condition. As you can see from the post directly above yours, "Dlav" has had no problem running lowered springs with the stock shocks. Your statement, "That's a huge no no" was blatantly false and unnecessary FUD and should be corrected.

Acknowledging the fact that my Peepee is bigger, however is appreciated. :)
And being a total idiot is hard for people to accept or admit to. Contact the shock/strut maker and ask them that question and id bet money they will tell you using them with lowering springs is ill advised and will void the warranty on them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and will void the warranty on them.
More "FUD". Lowering your car will not void your warranty on anything other than maybe a shock absorber (possibly a suspension component), and these (the shocks) you so clearly pointed out should be replaced anyway, so the logic becomes a mute point. People usually devolve to name calling (ie being a total idiot) when they have no valid argument.

·
Registered
2016 6
371 Posts
Y'all wildin in here lol, but in all honesty not only the dealer, but the Mazda corporation itself can revoke a cars entire warranty if they feel the "non-mazda" modification had any affect on the vehicle in terms of parts needing replacement. I have heard of chevy revoking truck warranties simply for putting certain after market wheels on. In your case you're probably right in that having lowering springs will probably only affect warranting suspension components and nothing else but who knows.

·
Super Moderator
17,855 Posts
I'm going to leave the posts here because people remained civil (for the most part) and there's some good information being thrown around.

However, you're all done with the name-calling now :)

Trollz and Talon are correct that Mazda can revoke a warranty for basically any mechanical mod you do to the vehicle; it's entirely at their discretion. However, most places won't give a hoot if you do minor things like springs, unless you then come in and complain of suspension issues and expect Mazda to fix it on their dime.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Trollz and Talon are correct that Mazda can revoke a warranty for basically any mechanical mod you do to the vehicle; it's entirely at their discretion. However, most places won't give a hoot if you do minor things like springs, unless you then come in and complain of suspension issues and expect Mazda to fix it on their dime.
I am reminded of a story about an insurance and/or warranty claim. It was denied because of "modifications". The guy had an accident because the rim broke. It was said that the rim is of inferior quality or a fake one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts