Mazda 6 Forums banner

2018 6 Signature Exhaust

9K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  1BlinkGone 
#1 · (Edited)
2018 Mazda 6 2.5L Turbo Exhaust

Anybody hear any reports of any catback or axleback options for the 2018 6 2.5L T forthcoming? Will anything made for prior years fit? I've seemed to come up with zero checking around on here. Thanks!

#2 ·
I know the mid-pipe won't now that there is a Turbo present the length will be different, axle-back Exhaust might but that won't gain you really anything on that Turbo motor, 3" catback exhaust will give you gains but a tune should be expected/needed soon after that install.

Reactions: 1BlinkGone
#4 ·
I have been considering removing the mufflers and adding 12" glasspacks. But you really want glasspacks as close to the engine as possible for maximum burbling and cracking noises and with the design architecture of the car, you're looking at a fairly extensive custom exhaust to fit glasspacks about where the driver sits, and gutting the mufflers to retain the appearance of legality.

Yes, most of you guys will think this is absolutely crazy. But i'm more of a pre-1960's hotrod guy and you can put any type of exhaust you want on those old cars and get away with it. The Mazda6 engine is just so quiet!

Custom exhausts are not that difficult to get built. Just find an older muffler shop where the owner still works and is over about 40 years old. They will build you something for a few hundred bucks (plus the mufflers/glasspacks)

#5 ·
Thanks to each of you. I'm not looking for performance gains specifically at the onset with an aftermarket exhaust upgrade (at least without a proven tune, down the road); inasmuch as a nice exhaust growl without any cabin drone.

Standing by with many of you waiting for the same, methinks.

#6 · (Edited)
Can someone post a picture of the Turbo model undercarriage to get a view of the OEM Exhaust design?
A large Glasspack yes would have to be mid-pipe where the resonator would be located,run straight out & Y-Pipe it at the end with dual tips (Straight through design is key, zero restriction).

#8 ·
As much as I would love to reduce backpressure on this turbo engine, I do not want it to be too loud. I just do not think it fits the character of this luxurious sports sedan. I had a full CNT exhaust on my second Mazdaspeed 3 with a catless downpipe and everything and it was not too loud at all. That is one thing nice about a turbo motor, they are usually quiet because of the turbocharger naturally dampening some sound. I know Corksport is developing an exhaust, but if the CX-9 kit is any example, the price will be prohibitive. Their stuff is moderate in sound though, which is a plus.

#11 ·
Thought i'd respond point by point....
As much as I would love to reduce backpressure on this turbo engine, I do not want it to be too loud.

Same here. Definitely NOT looking for loud here.

I just do not think it fits the character of this luxurious sports sedan.

Nope, that's why I'm looking at something with a nice, elegant-but-business-like (DRONE-FREE) growl and snarl to augment an already great package.

I had a full CNT exhaust on my second Mazdaspeed 3 with a catless downpipe and everything and it was not too loud at all. That is one thing nice about a turbo motor, they are usually quiet because of the turbocharger naturally dampening some sound.

yeppers...I'm hoping somebody really seizes the moment so to speak, and produces something worthy of the car.

I know Corksport is developing an exhaust, but if the CX-9 kit is any example, the price will be prohibitive. Their stuff is moderate in sound though, which is a plus.

I suppose value is in the eye of the beholder...in the old days, it was all about glass packs or turbo mufflers with our beloved V8's...slap 'em on and be done with it. Times have changed, and with that the engines, harmonics, NVH, etc that comes with them. For me, and this is just me, I'd rather pay the upcharge for R&D, etc to purchase something proven and a known quantity/outcome rather than go through perhaps 2-3 experimental iterations or more before I get what I want...not only the combined outlay of cash, but also my time that I just don't want to spend looking for the right weld-ons. Again, everyone is different; and while Corksport for example may be reputed for price, I see intrinsic value, and it's sure not like buying an Akrapovic system for a Porsche...hehe. I'm looking fwd to what Corksport and others bring to the table for the 2018 Mazda 6.
YMMV! Cheers!

#10 ·
The turbo will probably kill a good amount of the exhaust sound anyway. Is there an intake resonator? Anyone remove the stock airbox for a cone filter yet? Wonder if you can hear the turbo spool and the air rushing out of the intake when you let off the gas.

#12 · (Edited)
Update... I emailed TanabeUSA (via their contact section on their website) and inquired about their axle-back systems offered for the 3rd gen Mazda6, and if the one they currently offer for the 2017 NA engine will Bolt up to the 2018 Signature (2.5T) system, or will they have one forthcoming (?).

That was two weeks agp (on Dec 9th) and there hasn't been any response from their CS dept. Not exactly confidence-building....usually when I submit a product query to a mfg I get a response, and usually a prompt one. Not radio silence.... I just re-sent my query in case my email was overlooked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.