Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon fellow Mazda peeps!

I'm wanting to add fog lights to my ride. Its a 2017 Mazda 6i Touring. I know I need the lights, bezels, and the switch. I'm seeing conflicting arguments on how this job is completed. Installing a new switch is basic, but what about the new lights/bezels themselves? Is it plug and play or do I need to run wiring? I realize I have to get under the bumper or go through the wheel well to get to the screws holding in the generic, blank plating currently installed.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I eventually plan to add Morimoto LED fog lights to my 2016 Touring. However, I was just going to wire them through a relay to the parking lights, so they'd be on with both the low beams and high beams. (I've done this with other cars, including Protege5s.)

Just ground the fog lights, run power to the battery and the relay with the relay connected to the parking lights (not the DRLs).

It should turn on the fog lights whenever the parking lights are on, which includes with either low beams or low beams.

Any reason that wouldn't work?
Any reason it's a dumb idea?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I eventually plan to add Morimoto LED fog lights to my 2016 Touring. However, I was just going to wire them through a relay to the parking lights, so they'd be on with both the low beams and high beams. (I've done this with other cars, including Protege5s.)

Just ground the fog lights, run power to the battery and the relay with the relay connected to the parking lights (not the DRLs).

It should turn on the fog lights whenever the parking lights are on, which includes with either low beams or low beams.

Any reason that wouldn't work?
Any reason it's a dumb idea?
I've heard of people doing this. My only concern would be a power overload and/or fuses going out often and quickly. Feel like I read somewhere that people tried this and they had issues like I described above.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Nothing to program. Just install the (correct year) switch and order the lights with the bezels as it's pre-wired. I did mine by myself in the driveway on ramps. Give this thread a read. When you want to add Android Auto and Apple Carplay functionality there' an awesome thread on that also BTW.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nothing to program. Just install the (correct year) switch and order the lights with the bezels as it's pre-wired. I did mine by myself in the driveway on ramps. Give this thread a read. When you want to add Android Auto and Apple Carplay functionality there' an awesome thread on that also BTW.

You're a life saver my friend! Yeah, I've seen those videos. I feel I can do all this work myself. I have a strong wrench hand, but programming was out of the question. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Will I need to purchase any new screws or mounting items? Can the bolts/screws that are currently holding in the faux housing be used to install the fog light kit?

·
Registered
171 Posts
There are tabs that hold in the fog light kit and housing to the bumper and screws for the fog light housing that bolt the lens to the housing which should come in the fog light "kit".

·
Registered
18 Posts
It’s pretty straight forward and it comes with all the parts you’ll need. (I’m assuming you got the OEM kit.) I never completely took out the wheel wells, I just took out the few clips on the front. Patience and a few cuss words may be required to reach around a few things. The included instructions were good, and with the info above, you got this. They are a nice addition!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It’s pretty straight forward and it comes with all the parts you’ll need. (I’m assuming you got the OEM kit.) I never completely took out the wheel wells, I just took out the few clips on the front. Patience and a few cuss words may be required to reach around a few things. The included instructions were good, and with the info above, you got this. They are a nice addition!
Thanks a lot! I'm excited to get them put in. Yeah, im going oem

1 - 14 of 14 Posts