Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My first option is I want to add a sub to my car but I want to look at other options. Sub is a Fosgate P300-10
What are some upgrade options to help with sound quality than just doing a full system upgrade?
Adding a DSP? Replacing the amp with or without a DSP that may come with a graphic equalizer that can be tuned with an app?

What are the benefits and sacrifices to those upgrades?

Also I think the Mazda head-unit doesn't have a good signal to the amp. For example, my dads RAM has an alpine speaker system, it sounded good but it lacked it's full potential. He replaced his stock head-unit with an Alpine head unit and it fully woke up the sound system.

Let me know what you think.

Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read that but with a ignorant understanding of electronics so im looking for straight answers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, so, in your words, try to explain what is lacking aside from a sub. What are you looking for? The system needs an eq for sure, but aside from that, you're a long way away from swapping out speakers I'd bet.
I said what are other OPTIONS to help with sound quality, besides a sub, a dsp or a more powerful amp without switching out speakers.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Well, if youre not willing to use the AUX in so your phone or other device can use an EQ to tweak things, this wired inline on the INPUT to the Bose amp will be a great start to getting more bass and control over mids and highs. It will also give you a "tap" for a future sub amp with no fuss. Id say the install level would be around 4 out of 10 if you know how to use a soldering iron.

Other than that, you need to understand a "DSP" (digital signal processor, usually with all the bells and whistles like time align, cross overs and eq) isnt going to work without pulling the Bose amp since it only has 4 inputs. Pretty much any other 4 channel in/out EQ will work to tweak the system, but will require you mounting it with a lot of extra wiring or under the seat out of reach.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your input but I'm having someone install the stuff for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll rephrase, thanks for the input, I meant I'll have someone do the install(s) for me than me doing it myself cause I don't know how to do that.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Oh ok lol. Well, regardless, make sure they read or at least watch the vid in the sticky, a LOT of places will wire it wrong (to the Bose amp output) or charge you for things you simply do not need because they dont know much about specific cars.

Example, i once had a Midas tell me that a 1990 Eagle Talon had reported secondary O2 sensor failure via the OBDII port. Problem is, OBDII didnt come out till 1995. They simply lied to sell the owner something she didnt even need along with the services.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts