·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
frame rust front driver side1.jpg
rust collection.jpg
frame rust front driver side by windshield1.jpg
mazda warranty claim denied 2-18-20T p3.jpg

I bought a Mazda 6 in late April 2017, noticed rust under the hood on the black frame panel, & also parts near the windshield. The car is almost at 34 months of the 36 month warranty. I took to the dealer service center. They are throwing all manner of lame excuses at me, saying I should have always kept the car in the garage, saying I didnt drive it enough with only 5200 miles, saying I failed to maintain it properly, saying I should have bought a protection package for under the hood. NO! They should have used parts that won't rust! What can I do to get them to honor the warranty. They are claiming it was due to environmental factors. They are citing page 14 of the Warranty Information book where it says, “Damage or surface corrosion from the environment such as acid rain, airborne fallout (chemicals, tree sap, etc) salt, road hazards, hail, windstorm, lightning, floods and other natural disasters.” Specifically saying warranty denied due to “damages caused by the environment, car is not a good or appropriate maintenance.” It's not like tree sap fell on the paint or rust from rock chips. This is a protected area under the hood! Nowhere in the owner's manual does it say I am supposed to do something to the parts under the hood in terms of care or maintenance. I will NEVER buy a Mazda again.

·
Registered
628 Posts
That is surface rust on parts that just get a slight coat of paint and will not be covered. It would if it was on the body (painted surfaces).

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
That is surface rust on parts that just get a slight coat of paint and will not be covered. It would if it was on the body (painted surfaces).
The unfortunate truth with quite a few mfrs these days. Especially the case with stamped steel- and welded/fabricated suspension members, subframes. The latter are subject to the most salt-spray etc. To the original poster: I wouldn't be too concerned. Truly, it's the thin sheet metal - outer body panels to worry most about. Re underhood, take some sandpaper, then prime and topcoat (with a brush) - using satin- or flat paint... in summertime... and all will be well. No concerns re structure failure or rupture, etc. with that kind of corrosion. Alternative: after "touching up" with sandpaper... take it for corrosion inhibitor spraying to a car care place... summertime.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I bought a Mazda 6 in late April 2017, noticed rust under the hood on the black frame panel, & also parts near the windshield. The car is almost at 34 months of the 36 month warranty. I took to the dealer service center. They are throwing all manner of lame excuses at me, saying I should have always kept the car in the garage, saying I didnt drive it enough with only 5200 miles, saying I failed to maintain it properly, saying I should have bought a protection package for under the hood. NO! They should have used parts that won't rust! What can I do to get them to honor the warranty. They are claiming it was due to environmental factors. They are citing page 14 of the Warranty Information book where it says, “Damage or surface corrosion from the environment such as acid rain, airborne fallout (chemicals, tree sap, etc) salt, road hazards, hail, windstorm, lightning, floods and other natural disasters.” Specifically saying warranty denied due to “damages caused by the environment, car is not a good or appropriate maintenance.” It's not like tree sap fell on the paint or rust from rock chips. This is a protected area under the hood! Nowhere in the owner's manual does it say I am supposed to do something to the parts under the hood in terms of care or maintenance. I will NEVER buy a Mazda again.
I am curious, as to what part of the USA you have the car located? Is it humid? Is there, effectively, salt in the air (not REALLY sure that this kind of situation can occur... but I have heard that Florida has areas where cars rust pretty badly due to the combination of humidity and proximity to the ocean)?

My car is left out of doors, i.e. uncovered. It is in Vancouver, which is very, very wet... but above freezing in wintertime, at least most of the time. In the grand scheme of things, they do not use much salt here. I do not have rampant rust issues, at all, particularly in the locations where you have it? Have you driven the car in wintertime where abundant use of brine, or salt is made?

TIA

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know OP is upset, but looks like normal surface rust on non-body panels to me for salty conditions. I haven't had a single car I've owned stay 100% rust free on every nut and bolt.

If you are deeply concerned about it getting aftermarket anti-corrosion treatment (a spray / mist application, not one of those electronic gizmos) may help mitigate further expansion of what you're seeing. Even then it won't look new forever.

·
Registered
771 Posts
OP is overreacting. That's very minor surface rust and very normal for a 3 year old vehicle. Hit it with a $7 can of rust reformer and stop being a baby.

Reactions: Trollz3457

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
OP is overreacting. That's very minor surface rust and very normal for a 3 year old vehicle. Hit it with a $7 can of rust reformer and stop being a baby.
I'm so glad that where I live, rust is uncommon for a three year old car. I might be overreacting if this happened to me.

May I know the brand of rust reformer that you can recommend?

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'm so glad that where I live, rust is uncommon for a three year old car. I might be overreacting if this happened to me.

May I know the brand of rust reformer that you can recommend?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im the OP. Thanks for all the comments that were helpful. Asking for advice to be called a baby by one responder isn't proper, nor helpful.

Yes, the car is about 5-10 miles from the ocean in Puerto Rico. I have another car, a Nissan Maxima, 22 years old with no rust, so to have a new car rusting in the 2nd year, with less than 5000 miles, still under warranty, and the dealer/manufacturer refusing to fix this is upsetting. It's bad enough to have a car rusting prematurely. Even worse if the dealer does nothing, then worse still blaming me for not taking good care/proper maintenance. There is nothing in the manual of recommended maintenance for me to do something in that area.

If it's so simple/minor of a problem, then why can't the dealer step up and fix it, sand it, repaint, apply rust inhibitor? Why should I have to do that? If I had known it would be rusting like this already, I never would have bought it.

A complaint will be filed with the local consumer affairs, acronym of DACO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most rust is on the black painted parts, but some is on the silver painted areas that are near the black rusting areas as shown in the zoom photo, which is the area under the hood near the windshield.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice, but would be better without the name calling. The rust began before the car was 2 years old. As one who keeps their cars a LONG time, 22 years which I still have on a 1998 Nissan Maxima with no rust, it's disturbing to have the Mazda 6 2017 rusting so soon.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I believe that Mazda builds cars pretty strictly to a budget; body is thin, paint is thin, galvanizing may not be in use everywhere...(probably just exterior sheet metal) and reputedly is not great galvanizing... The cars are decent for reliability... but I don't believe they are truly durable or robust. I believe they're a bit "fragile". So its my opinion a person has to put some additional effort into surmounting these matters to enjoy long life out of them.

I should also say that to some extent ALL cars in this class are currently built to a lower standard. Witness my '99 Camry. Though body is thinner than typical domestic, boy 'o boy is that a car built in the golden era of Toyota. I REALLY doubt current Camry is built the same. My '17 Mazda6 is not either.

·
Registered
771 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
I believe that Mazda builds cars pretty strictly to a budget; body is thin, paint is thin, galvanizing may not be in use everywhere...(probably just exterior sheet metal) and reputedly is not great galvanizing... The cars are decent for reliability... but I don't believe they are truly durable or robust. I believe they're a bit "fragile". So its my opinion a person has to put some additional effort into surmounting these matters to enjoy long life out of them.

I should also say that to some extent ALL cars in this class are currently built to a lower standard. Witness my '99 Camry. Though body is thinner than typical domestic, boy 'o boy is that a car built in the golden era of Toyota. I REALLY doubt current Camry is built the same. My '17 Mazda6 is not either.
Don't think most would disagree with you, weaknesses are especially thin paint & sheet metal.

Scotty Kilmer was saying the same thing, Toyota quality isn't the same as 10-20 years ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would entirely be concerned, Mazda is known for weak rust protection. I currently own an 05 Mazda 3 that is rusted all over (contemplating buying again) and it started early and in weird places just like yours. Chrisfix on YouTube even did a rust repair on a Mazda that was entirely superficial and ALL long term owner of Mazdas of that gen knows is completely insufficient, you can find that video easily. Given my car lived outdoors in Salt Lake City, PA and Western NY, they simply rust easy. My wheel wells are disintegrating. Paint bubbles on the black door stripes have been progressing since it was ~4 yrs old probably. I had a shop here in CA press a new connection into my rear trailing arm they asked "did you store this underwater?" This week point is probably why I won't buy again unfortunately.

·
Registered
130 Posts
So it's probably too late to be any help to OP, but in situations like this, just call the manufacturer. The dealership will do anything and everything they can to get out of doing warranty work, and if they do submit your claim to Mazda corporate, they have no incentive to plea your case (expect them to say something like "the smallest evidence of corrosion and wants the entire subframe replaced")

I've dealt with the corporate office and found them easy to deal with. I called them because my trunk lid was installed ever so slightly off-center (I found this same flaw on many 6's). The guy walked me through the entire warranty booklet, showed me that particular part wasn't covered, but gave me a $300 voucher anyway for the trouble.

·
Registered
100 Posts
OMG, Surface rust like this is NOT COVERED under Warranty, it is ONLY covered when it breaks THROUGH a Surface, WHY?, well todays cars use Water Base paint with a hard clear coat applied, they do not use baked enamel., for cost but mainly environmental reasons.
Mazda's body Corrosion resistance is good, same process as every other car brand.

THE MAIN issue is owners will drive on say gravel, stones fly and chip through thin paintwork and sharp stones protrude the metal breaking the corrosion coat, it then rusts, it is THE OWNERS responsibility to CARE for the car, Not the maker.

WHY do you think almost all car brands are putting plastic liners around wheel arches and fronts of hoods, etc.

As for the OP, you are really overreacting, a little bit of surface rust, get and oily rag and rub over it, or spray an oil coating, it wont get any worse.

Salted roads cause rust on and in any brand of car.

·
Registered
2016 6
288 Posts
OMG, Surface rust like this is NOT COVERED under Warranty, it is ONLY covered when it breaks THROUGH a Surface, WHY?, well todays cars use Water Base paint with a hard clear coat applied, they do not use baked enamel., for cost but mainly environmental reasons.
Mazda's body Corrosion resistance is good, same process as every other car brand.

THE MAIN issue is owners will drive on say gravel, stones fly and chip through thin paintwork and sharp stones protrude the metal breaking the corrosion coat, it then rusts, it is THE OWNERS responsibility to CARE for the car, Not the maker.

WHY do you think almost all car brands are putting plastic liners around wheel arches and fronts of hoods, etc.

As for the OP, you are really overreacting, a little bit of surface rust, get and oily rag and rub over it, or spray an oil coating, it wont get any worse.

Salted roads cause rust on and in any brand of car.
This one right here, ding ding ding! I see brand new mazdas every single day. I walk outside and I see about 100 brand new mazdas and they all share one thing in common, RUST. From THE second those cars come out of the factory or off the boat from japan they start to rust. All you need to do is drive down to a dealer and look at the brakes on the new cars. Every single rotor will have a nice layer of rusts on em. And that's simply due to the fact that it's metal without a protective coating and oxygen alone will cause rust over time. Rust is literally the oxidation of metal. Obviously some nuts and bolts aren't gonna get the same amount of paint coverage/protection but even so after less than a year in the open air and things will rust.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts