Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say that I like the user interface that comes with the standard Mazda stereo in my Touring, but missed XM and thought the six speakers left a lot to be desired. I did some searching in the forums and ran across “tickerguy” long running post about upgrading the sound control and stereo in his 2014 Manual Sport. Thanks so much for your guidance!

After several messages I decided to preform my own upgrades and will give my feedback on how they have turned out.

• • Replace the dash tweeters with Polk Audio DB351s and 100V 47uF capacitors
  • o By far the best bang for the buck to improve the stock stereo​
  • o This a simple inexpensive < $75.00 fix that will make the music come alive and have you no longer wishing you upgraded to the BOSE system​
  • • Replaced the rear speakers with Polk Audio DXI 651s
  • o Not nearly as dramatic an upgrade as the tweeter replacements at lowers volumes, (Less than 20) but really clarifies the sound from volume 25-40. I never have turned it above 40​
  • • Added the Kenwood KSC-SW11 powered subwoofer mounted in my trunk
  • o I tapped into the rear speakers to install this and probably need to consider moving it inside the passenger compartment to get the full effect as it helps and certainly doesn’t have an over powering bass​
  • • Add additional insulation and Thermoquiet acoustic insulated underlayment from the Home Depot to my rear door cards
  • o My iPhone decibel meter shows a 1-2 decibel decrease from baseline on same roads​
  • o You can kind of tell that difference, but it is not dramatic​
  • o Of course I find my Mazda6 to be quieter than my 2007 Honda Accord anyway​
You’re going to want to purchase one of this little ratchet to get the tweeters out and the DB351s in

Test of DB351’s with 100vV 99uF capacitors that were replaced with 100v 47 uF

DB351s under the grill

Made up wires with 100V 47uF capacitors for the Polk Audio DB351s

Kenwood KSC-SW11 powered subwoofer mounted in my trunk

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rear door cards with additional insulation

Rear door cards with thermoquiet

Eastwood flex sealer sprayed into the doors behind the Polk Audio DXI 651s

Forgot to take a picture after I sprayed the sealer into here

Stock Rear speaker that I gutted and mounted the DXI 651s into

I cut the plug wire and soldered new speaker wire them and used the existing plugs in the harness

Polk Audio DXI 651’s mounted in the gutted stock speaker bracket

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DXI651 vs stock rear speaker

The rear DXI652’s mounted. The white wires are for the Kenwood KSC-SW11 subwoofer. It took about an hour to push follow the existing wires through the door, fun!

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Do you have speaker level inputs to your subwoofer amp?

It's quite a bit easier to just grab the speaker signals from the passenger kick panel and run them to wherever you would like. Either way you got it done and correctly but I don't like trying to run wires through the doors.

Nice work in the end. Speakers and sub were the very first things I did to my '16 M6.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts