Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Touring. Bought in June 2016, so a little over 2 years old. The key fob just died today. I haven’t tried to see how to replace the battery etc. but had the following questions:
1. Seems too early for the key/battery to die. Has this happened to anyone else?
2. The car is under warranty still. Would this be covered?

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It depends on how much you use it. Mine died a few times in 7 years of driving. The battery is easy to replace, just check the manual.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My Battery died in 3 years & my wife's key fob died in 2 so seems pretty common, there is Youtube Videos showing how to replace the Key ob battery.
Here:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yeah, easy-peasy.

Its a standard watch battery. You can get them at the pharmacy, hardware store, etc.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Super easy to replace, mine died in a couple years as well.

This is an unfortunate downside of the proximity sensors with fobs and cars now - the more time you spend around the car (even if you're driving it) the more time the fob chats with it, and therefore uses battery.

I've had my car for almost 6 years now and I'm about to replace the battery for the 2nd time, since the car just told me it's getting low.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yeah, the batteries don't seem to last long. Considering how easy it is to replace the battery it's a rather minor complaint compared to the car's overall value. IMO of course.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Considering the fob is in constant communication with the car, 3 years tops. I just had to replace one yesterday at 2.5 years. It's the CR 2025 lithium battery. It's easy, just be careful when you split the fob.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
The key FOB comes with a CR2025 battery rated at about 163 mAh. You can replace it with a CR2032 which is rated at about 240 mAh. The Cr2032 is the same voltage and diameter, but slightly thicker, but fits OK in my 2014 Sport's FOB. I used a CR2032 I already had, but I see Dollar Tree sells a Sunbeam 2-pack of CR2032s for $1, so will try them next time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
11 Participants
Archerfish
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing