·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
17,099 Posts
Hey All,

This is my first post on these forums. I just bought a 2016 Touring 6 Speed. It currently has black plastic scuff plates. My girlfriend bought me these for my birthday:

Amazon.com: MAZDA 6 2014 NEW OEM POLISHED SCUFF PLATES / DOOR SILL TRIM PLATES 0000-8T-H51: Automotive

They look easy enough to put on but I'm concerned about removing the plastic scuff plates. Does anybody know how to remove the plastic?

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forum!

Why would you need to remove the plastic? Those plates should just stick right on the metal body and be good to go. :)

Also, may I suggest doing what I did with the same things and putting them on top of the plastic scuff plates? I did so and now instead of scratching my plastic, they take the beating. See this: http://forum.mazda6club.com/interior-exterior/362817-interior-scratch-removal.html

Edit: For future reference, removing those plastic OEM plates is as simple as pulling up on them. They're only being held in by a few plastic clips and are made to easily be removed/replaced by design.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't know they could go right on top of the plastic plates. I might give that a shot. Do the doors close okay with the extra height of the metal plates on top of the plastic?

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
17,099 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't know they could go right on top of the plastic plates. I might give that a shot. Do the doors close okay with the extra height of the metal plates on top of the plastic?

Thanks again!
Make sure you clean the plastic thoroughly before putting them on, and be sure to put them on straight because they won't go back on that well again.

Doors have no issues whatsoever. To test it yourself, you can place the cover on the sill without taking the tape off and the door won't even touch it.

My plates have taken a beating but it makes me happy knowing the plastic is fine. It's much easier to clean the plates.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
WHOA THERE
@Byakuya, I think he's talking about the plastic pieces that were added to the 2016 models. You can see them in this picture.

Us 2014-2015 guys haven't seen one of those in person. Not sure how they're attached (probably adhesive) or if the stainless plates will fit on top of them with the door closed (probably will).

·
Registered
618 Posts
WHOA THERE
@Byakuya, I think he's talking about the plastic pieces that were added to the 2016 models. You can see them in this picture.

Us 2014-2015 guys haven't seen one of those in person. Not sure how they're attached (probably adhesive) or if the stainless plates will fit on top of them with the door closed (probably will).
Lol i thought the same thing as I started reading this thread. I think thats exactly what the OP is talking about. Mine came stock with them and I haven't switched them out with metal ones yet.

·
Super Moderator
17,099 Posts
WHOA THERE

Ah, slightly different then. Thanks for catching that, I didn't realize the 2016s had even more plastic to get scratched haha.

I'm willing to bet that they're just held on with some 3M adhesive. I don't see Mazda bothering to cut new holes in the frame just to add some plastic accents.

Regardless, I think the metal trim should be able to go on top and still fit fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just removed mine. You just have to dig your nails under and peel it away. A hairdryer makes the job easier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts