Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Traffic Information and other Mazda problems

I had a 2013 Mazda 3 GT and the traffic feature worked well. Now I have the Mazda 3 Sport GT all the bells and whistles and no traffic feature. What is upsetting is not being told anything about it. I don't know how long I spent trying to figure this out. In fact the manuals tell you use your system to get traffic information and it is not available. Why does my $150 phone have a better Navigation app then the expensive one that comes with the car? The tech department confirmed no live traffic updating. On top of this I was having problems with getting text messages and Pandora. They said they were aware of the problem with text messages and are working with the problem and that Pandora had some other problems and that I should talk to Pandora to figure it out. My beef is that if Pandora is a feature with the Mazda's why aren't the tech people at Mazda talking to the tech people at Pandora. Why is this up to me to figure out. Mazda I am disappointed. This gives Mazda a black eye in my book.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Navigation- live traffic

Just purchased a 2016.5 CX5 Touring. I was pleased to see that the Nav system offered real time data. Just like on my Garmin. Was really disappointed to learn it is completely useless. My Garmin cost about 100 dollars with life time map updates. I also hate the fact that it is impossible to add a location while driving. So my wife who is in the passenger seat cant update locations. It can only be done by voice and you have to have a complete address. I may be doing it wrong but blocking all the input because the car is moving is ridiculous. I know it is probably a safety issue but really???

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Just purchased a 2016.5 CX5 Touring. I was pleased to see that the Nav system offered real time data. Just like on my Garmin. Was really disappointed to learn it is completely useless. My Garmin cost about 100 dollars with life time map updates.
I completely agree about the uselessness. What's even more frustrating is that the basic traffic (not Waze-style) information doesn't even require a data connection, it uses local FM broadcasts, so there's no excuse.

I also hate the fact that it is impossible to add a location while driving. So my wife who is in the passenger seat cant update locations. It can only be done by voice and you have to have a complete address. I may be doing it wrong but blocking all the input because the car is moving is ridiculous. I know it is probably a safety issue but really???
I believe your infotainment system is the same as the M3/M6, which means you can turn off the speed restriction with a little bit of technical know-how.

Index for Infotainment Project - 2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums

Read over the details but specifically, look at this part:

"Tweaks Master Bundle (v55) (USB): This is a collection of several popular tweaks. This script will:
disable the speed restriction set on the touch screen (so a passenger :wink2: can still use the screen while the car is in motion)"

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is disappointing as well. I have a pretty long commute in a large geographic metro - I discovered this feature within my first week of ownership when I drove onto the entrance ramp to the freeway later at night, only to immediately stop when I got halfway on and around a little bend.

There was an accident and the freeway was shut down - all lanes merging off - took about an hour and 40 minutes to clear about a mile and a 1/4 of freeway.

The view of this incident on the HD Map was tiny - when I was parked in it the circle indicating my position covered the space.

I love how the navigation integrates into the heads up display, how it works with the stereo system, etc.

However, the lack of real time traffic feeds is a serious negative

·
Registered
779 Posts
The issue here is the lack of broadcasting of TMC information - and if available it's highly limited unless you have a subscription and even then you only get it really in Urban area.

It's not like in Europe where every freaking radio station is broadcasting detail TMC information.

BMW for example feed their data directly from XM radio.

Now most high end premium cars are actually getting their info through built-in 3G/4G radios .. and in the next couple years we will see more affordable versions as IoT devices are getting cheaper & cheaper and plans getting affordable.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just traded my 2014 GT for a 2016 GT. I was hoping the navi was better, though my immediate thoughts are that I wish I had the 2014 navi. In reading the prior posts, not having the traffic feature that will be missed greatly since traffic in Baton Rouge is AWFUL. So far (again only one day), I love the new car and feel it is way better than the 2014. The new navi looks boring and haven't found where you can change colors, voices, etc. I am missing something? Still learning the features of the car. Any thoughts are appreciated. Is there somewhere that I can download some changes?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also picked up a 2016 and I am not very happy with the Navi. In SoCal having traffic as part of the route is very important. Not sure why Mazda can't get this fixed. This thread is over a year old!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm outside of Philadelphia. I count on KYW news traffic on the 2's. Sounds like a commercial but until Mazda coughs up the money NavTeq wants to add to this system, we'll just have to do it the old fashioned way.

·
Registered
779 Posts
It has nothing to do with Navteq or other "map" makers.

It's a license issue with the TMC providers.

I think Mazda made a conscious decision here - shell out a shitload of money for the TMC provider which provide barely coverage throughout the US - or save that money and pass the savings to the consumers...

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
It has nothing to do with Navteq or other "map" makers.

It's a license issue with the TMC providers.

I think Mazda made a conscious decision here - shell out a shitload of money for the TMC provider which provide barely coverage throughout the US - or save that money and pass the savings to the consumers...
The 2nd gen's nav (though more antiquated), had this. And to this day it operates just fine with the TMC. (As shown in the nav menu photo's below).
Why can Mazda not come to a liscence agreement BEFORE it manufactures a system for the CURRENT crop of cars people are driving? That stuff is supposed to be worked out in the design stages?

On a related point; I found myself passing through MO. during the holiday; and was of course using the nav system at the time. It was the first time I actually got to see how the live traffic system functioned. As shown in my photo's, I saw this yellow alert icon first, curious I tapped it and it brought up a small menu bar at the top of the screen. There i pressed "Info" and it said there were stop lights malfunctioning as the reason for the jam. I was curious to see how actual this was and proceeded onward. Sure enough in two minutes over the hill I came to the problem as shown by MODOT crews in the last photo. Luckily I had a passenger snapping photos of my system's functionality. (As I was attempting to use this newly acquired info for discussion in another thread in the 2nd gen section).

I fail to understand why since Mazda departed with Ford, that in 2016, the 3rd gens still cannot get something that was provided as a basic standard in 2011. The voice maneuvering system even asks me if I want to take different routes to avoid the issues. At least it functioned.

I was considering the new 6, but with what I'm reading, this is a major fallback. Especially if you commute a lot to different destinations for your job.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
The last "official" response on this thread is a year ago. What is the status of enabling real time traffic on our cars which have software and hardware that support it but no access to live data? This is a flaw or a deception. Either way it needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
In The Netherlands I have live traffic but it sucks. Bought a 100 dollar subscription but it simply does'nt work. It gives fake warnings about traffic jams etc. Also the warning for speedcam's doesn't beep anymore. I think I am going to ask for my money because they don't deliver.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I'm also not thrilled about the lack of traffic data. I don't believe this is a deception though. Mazda goal is to spend money on what counts and drives value, I believe they simply saw this as not enough value for the money and ultimately the cost to the consumer. Mazda connect was built by Johnson Controls/Visteon and is a software platform that they probably offer to other customers. My guess is that Mazda took the traffic option and then after testing it realized that for the cost it wasn't worth it. As someone else mentioned these service contracts are expensive (think about any ISP contract) and the issues/benefits didn't make financial sense.

Mazda is running a lean organization and trying to focus on features that drive value and their corporate vision. People complain about the lack of CarPlay and android auto support as well but everyone I know who has this feature says that it is buggy and not quite ready for prime time. Now this probably differs from manufacturer to manufacturer given how much development dollar they can spend on such features. E.g. Audi can probably spend more on this because they sell their cars at a premium, while Kia may not.

I for one appreciate a company who chooses to focus on value and reliability rather than checking off a feature list that simply boils down to a pissing contest.

I do agree that the HD traffic view is pretty lame. Half the time it doesn't refresh in my car.

IMO

·
Registered
26 Posts
Petition near 350 now. I use Nav a lot. So I have to pull up city map on my phone to see what's going on and adjust nav route accordingly. $84.70 for one time update or $135.75 for 3 year map update subscription.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Just get the android audio/carplay update. Maps constantly update and traffic is great with Waze.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

21 - 36 of 36 Posts