Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am experiencing a very annoying rattle sound every time I hit a bump on the road. The source of the sound seems to be coming from the infotainment system, or right below it.
Has someone experienced this before? Any ideas how to take it apart and investigate what could be the cause?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
There's another recent thread on this. Basically if it's the same noise I had its simply a little play in how the screen mounts to the dash. I used very thin foam sheets and gently stuck them down behind the screen and the dash with a trim tool. You don't need much foam to gently push the screen slightly forward. Had the noise when the car was new and after the foam fix it went away. But be gentle and don't use a lot of foam. I'll try to snap a picture later of the location on the dash.

Sent from my Note 7 with tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ocramida. I think I know where you are asking to place the foam sheets, there's an ever so slight gap behind the nav screen. But just in case, a photo would really help.

As far as inserting the foam sheets, do I need to insert them such that it simply fills that gap, or do I need to stuff them deeper down?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Have the same exact problem. I am going to try what ocra is suggesting as well.
Hi guys sorry it took so long to get back. Been busy. Here is a picture of the seam between the screen and the dash. I pushed the foam in there deep so you won't see it

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
The may work. I had some left over foam from a project I did a few years back and can't remember its thickness. It is a very small gap. I had to use a trim tool to gently stuff it back there.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I was experiencing a creak/tick from the info-tainment screen over sharp impacts, too.

I cut a 5x3/4x1/4" piece off a chunk of home insulation foam. Wedged it down behind the screen and problem solved!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I bought some very thin pieces of foam. I started with trying to squeeze two thin pieces in there but it wasn't going in as without significant pressure being applied. So I tried it with one piece and it still took some work to get it to fit in, but I was able to get it tucked in nicely.

Impressions: The original creaking sound is pretty much gone but I think the solution is to to ultimately get two thin pieces rather than one because there is still a slight give and I can hear the back side of the screen rubbing on the foam piece when i go over bumps. I'm just afraid I may break it trying to remove the one I have in there already and shove in two pieces, so I may leave it as is or at least until it I find it unbearably annoying.

Thanks everyone for the help on this!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Should have mentioned that I actually folded over one thin piece of foam when I did it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I couldn't take the sound of the foam rubbing against the screen, so I did what you suggested and placed a folder over piece of foam.

It is perfect now, really not even the slightest creak in my entire cabin. Thanks again

I got this car with 37000 miles (former rental). Got it at what I think is a good price of around 14k before tax. No warranty but the car is fine, it's just this one issue and it really is as good as new believe it or not (besides the mileage of course). I am very happy with this car and hope it lasts the test of time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The dealer took apart the dash and put some thin foam behind the head unit. That seemed to fix the issue and it was free, but all sorts of noises still come out of the interior while driving on not perfectly smooth pavement. Too many noise issues to possibly fix. This car is just plain NOISY.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
The dealer took apart the dash and put some thin foam behind the head unit. That seemed to fix the issue and it was free, but all sorts of noises still come out of the interior while driving on not perfectly smooth pavement. Too many noise issues to possibly fix. This car is just plain NOISY.
What other noises

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2017 Mazda6 GT.
I used some double sided tape and slid it in there and it helped for a bit but the sound is back....I might try the foam option.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2017 Mazda6 GT.
I used some double sided tape and slid it in there and it helped for a bit but the sound is back....I might try the foam option.
If you take it back to the dealership they can fix it for free. They're aware of the problem- even my sales guy mentioned he had the same problem on his brand new '16 or '17.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts