Mazda 6 Forums banner

2016 Mazda 6 (Gen3.5) - General Discussion

823K views 2K replies 214 participants last post by  adeeb_m 
#1 ·
#85 ·
I doubted the coupe version of the 6 when it was first announced, but now I have even more doubt about a newer engine after reading the CEO interview. I wasn't holding my breath for it though.

Still I guess a newer engine is possible, but highly unlikely. He pretty burned any RX-x for the foreseeable future :eek:

Also, I don't think I really like the new LED DRL. At least compared to the current LED lights we have on the GT models. Anybody else agree?

Mazda CEO interview

#89 ·
sorry, my sarcasm detector failed me today, LOL. oh I've pretty well said my opinion if that was the new 3.5.... though... how sure are we that it's not the GK? LOL. I still stand by my view that the new wave of mazdas will have that slick slammed ND nose... :)

Still looking forward to what you relay us from the show :D

#92 ·
With the lower gas prices in the future Mazda may decide to bring in a more powerful engine
The idea that an auto manufacturer would develop a product, which takes years, based on what gas prices may be in the future is absurd. Commodities can change direction on a dime and the idea that gas prices a few years from now will be lower, just because they are now, is not something that any automaker will take into account when planning their R&D.

#93 ·
Yeah, we are just now in the last few years getting a full range of fuel economy mindful cars 8 years after the oil prices began spiking "unnexpectedly" in 2004. The auto industy is very reactive on oil prices, not proactive.

#101 · (Edited)
2016 Mazda 6 (Gen3.5) - Upcoming REFRESH!

Wow that's nice? its a nice touch up! The changes are not too dramatic but it's enough to make a current owner of a M6 envy but to make a future buyer (such as myself) very happy?☺? because without a engine upgrade, it isn't any different in the eyes of others. Thanks for that post bro! The press conference begins tomorrow;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#103 ·
Looks pretty aggressive to me, about the same as the previous model just with a bit more chrome. But the pictures never did justice for me. Need to actually see it in person to give it Final judgment. Look at the 2014-2015: Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mazda Mazda6
in that picture it doesn't seem all that "aggressive" until you see it in person;) like I said, it's just more chrome on the 2016 is what really might turn people away. Just my opinion.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#105 · (Edited)
Mazda follows the trend they set with the 1st and 2nd gen 6 in having the mid-cycle refresh be less attractive than the one it is replacing.

That being said there are some things I like about the new one. Mainly the 3-style Commander Knob and the electric parking brake. But aside from that, based on the pics, if I was buying right now I'd go with a 2015 even if they were the same price.

#113 ·
Mazda follows the trend they set with the 1st and 2nd gen 6 in having the mid-cycle refresh be less attractive than the one it is replacing.
"Trend they set"
???

Name one midcycle refresh of any car design in history that really looks better than the original from a critique standpoint. Mazda did not set a trend and they are the only company that ever disregarded that trend that I'm aware of with the Miata NB and NC mid cycle refreshes looking better than the original.

It's hard to only touch the front and rear and make something different just because it needs to be different that still blends in well with the rest of the car. It's almost impossible.

Considering how good and clean the initial 2014 design is Mazda did a remarkable job of not totally screwing up the refresh. That would have been way too easy to do.

#109 ·
The brief press event on the 6, minor info that you probably already know: Live from the 2014 LA Auto Show Press Event | Mazda USA - YouTube
He says "we've redone the entire front fascia..."
I think the only new info is on the interior: "nicer treatment to the materials, the finishes..."

Hopefully they've done the usual mid-cycle improvements on NVH. I assume there will be a written press release with specs at some point -- I don't know the typical timing of this at auto shows.

#110 · (Edited)
The release: Mazda USA Media - Vehicles
- Heads-up display
- NVH: "The amount of noise transmitted into the cabin is reduced by approximately 10 percent when driving on rough roads and by approximately 25 percent on highways."
- Seat improvements
- "Drive Selection for the SKYACTIV-DRIVE automatic transmission." "...which allows drivers to switch drive modes for a more responsive driving experience"
- Engine and both trans are carryover, no mention of diesel.
- Safety improvements
- Many photos

Weight
MT: 3,179 lbs
AT: 3,250 lbs
Fuel economy
EPA city/ highway/ combined
MT: 25 / 37 / 29 mpg
AT (w/o i-ELOOP): 26 / 38 / 30 mpg
AT (w/ i-ELOOP): 28 / 40 / 32 mpg

Comments:
2016 Mazda6 gets a facelift in LA - Autoblog
Mazda reveals four exciting new vehicles at 2014 Los Angeles auto show - Press Release - Digital Journal

#114 ·
Just like every white color is now a "pearlescent", eventually every silver color even to dark grey will be a "hyper" sheen. It's too awesome to ignore and has already taken over wheel finishes, it's only a matter of time for the whole car.

#115 ·
I kinda like the front end tweaks, personally. If they offer a package that either removes the chrome, or change it to "black chrome", all the better IMO.

The tails look better also, definitely an improvement over the Sonata ones they slapped on the '14-'15. And they didn't make them as cheesy and cheap looking as the 3, which was one of my worries...

The pop-up screen on the dash is growing on me, and the rest of the interior updates looks even further up-market than before.

Not bad...

...Then again, no turbo-4 option, no MTX on GT offered. Two things that NEED to be addressed before I'd consider a third 6.

Reactions: solar365
#118 ·
Huge gallery of pics here

2016 Mazda6 Facelift: A Light, Yet Classy Touch Up

I have to admit I've gone back and forth between "I like it" and "I hate it" over the past few weeks as the various fuzzy leaked images have come out. I still prefer the original GT model, but the new one has a nicer interior and the exterior changes look halfway decent in the refreshed model.

And if the new Sports and Touring get the same headlights as the GT, the refreshed model might look better than the outgoing one for those trim levels.

Disappointed that the updates are all cosmetic. WTH will it take for Mazda to give this car a little more power?

#122 ·
I have to say, I like the interior more then I thought I would. The Infotainment looks allot better then the Mazda 3, though I wish they would have gone in the direction they did with the CX5. Don't like the start/stop button way up on the dash as it is, and hate the electronic parking brake, give me a hand brake any day. Love the new darker wheels. Doubt that the new sport button would do anything for me, with my MT sport mode is just a down shift or two away. Overall a very worthy update I think, however I still prefer my '14.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.