Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1873 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I was expecting a bigger exterior change o_O . Regardless, I do like the new headlights, and the grille! That interior.. that's stellar though! I like how the floating display is more integrated vs the 3 too :). I'm curious how different the non-GT trim will be though....

·
Registered
916 Posts
Looks like they got LED headlights, nice, I wonder if the lower trims will get the same. The chrome wing on the front looks thick, gotta see it in real life to really justify how it looks. Interior looks very promising

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I was expecting a bigger exterior change That interior.. that's stellar though! I like how the floating display is more integrated vs the 3 too :). I'm curious how different the non-GT trim will be though....
Agreed, the interior turned out better than I thought it could with the monolith display.

Is it just the lighting or is the main grill completely chrome now?

Mazda needs to learn one more design trick: More, skinnier slats in the grill = more luxury; less, thicker slats in the grill = more sporty. For how sporty the rest of the design is the grill should have at least 1 less slat maybe even two, that goes for 2014-2015s as well. JMO

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A step closer to Takeri...

Truth be told, the interior refresh is getting closer to the TAKERI (imo)...with some practical improvements:

2012 Mazda Takeri Concept:

2014/2015 Mazda6 / Atenza:

2016 Mazda6 / Atenza:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
It looks like (and reads like) they've gone to a brushed aluminum for all of that trim, and I agree it does look like the grille as well.

I also agree that it's a bit confused between sport or luxury lol

·
Administrator
8,407 Posts
If the LED headlights are available in the lower trims, I wonder if it'll be possible to swap them in my 2015.
I doubt that. Considering headlight units are usually the first thing they "refresh" during the mid-cycle changes, I wouldn't bet that the Gen 3.5 would swap with the current model.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Burns my Britches.

This is my first brand new car and they change it this drastically after two years? Not to mention the changes seem like changes I can't live without! Electronic parking brake?! Updated Nav?! Non moving armrest?! ARG!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Face-off...

Just by looking at the images of the sales handbook, you can tell the headlight shape is different where it meets the end of the grill swoop.

It appears that the current headlight recess is filled-out on the new facia by the headlights. That stated, it MAY be possible to replace the bottom bumper, front grill and the headlights. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Looks like they got LED headlights, nice, I wonder if the lower trims will get the same. The chrome wing on the front looks thick, gotta see it in real life to really justify how it looks. Interior looks very promising
Yeah, it's kinda weighing down the front of the car especially at the headlight.
If it's brushed aluminum that will make it look bigger than if it were chrome, just due to the difference in reflections of the curvature.

Obviously you can add the eyebrow accents at the fog light housing on the current car for $30 on ebay, so that isn't anything to write home about.

I'm kind of thinking my original concerns with a refresh styling wise are justified, as it doesn't look 100% right. The interior turned out better than the current one, but even there it is less my style than the current old skool luxury look.

We haven't seent the back end yet, they could have done something more Takeri there too that would be really cool.

·
Registered
916 Posts
If the LED headlights are available in the lower trims, I wonder if it'll be possible to swap them in my 2015.
I am pretty sure it would be possible to swap the hardware no problem, the whole front clip is one piece and it looks like the refresh is just a new front clip, with no sheet metal changes, even around the headlights. now the wiring harness, that is another story, even with the current gen swapping from the halogen to HID will require a lot of wiring tweaking.

here is the front bumper off, i am sure the new fascia would just fit right in

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am pretty sure it would be possible to swap the hardware no problem, the whole front clip is one piece and it looks like the refresh is just a new front clip, with no sheet metal changes, even around the headlights. now the wiring harness, that is another story, even with the current gen swapping from the halogen to HID will require a lot of wiring tweaking.

That's what I figured as well. I guess we won't really be able to tell until we get see it up close.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
It appears that the current headlight recess is filled-out on the new facia by the headlights. That stated, it MAY be possible to replace the bottom bumper, front grill and the headlights. Only time will tell.
I think when people see this thing in real life they may want to do that...going the other way: put the 2015 front on the 2016. doh.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts

Oooh, I see a new weight reduction mod there...get rid of one of the horns. And notice the massive windshield washer fluid bottle on the left. 10lbs of fluid waiting to be drained...

·
Registered
916 Posts
more pictures here, showing different angles. The chrome works well, but imo its a bit too heavy. don't see much difference in the rear at all

2012 - [Mazda] 6 III - Page 19

also if Mazda equips the trim levels the same way they have been i feel like only the GT will get the LED units, rest halogen projectors. But never know since the corolla is LED across the board

·
Registered
157 Posts
Wow....I really like it. But the differences are subtle anyway, so it's not like they ruined a good thing.

For anyone who says that the chrome accents look "too heavy", I'd say that the car will look great in silver, where the chrome will practically blend in anyway.

Surprisingly, I think the interior looks really good, and I'm not a fan of all these "tablet sticking out the dash" type infotainment screens.

·
Registered
782 Posts
2016 Mazda 6 Facelift Leaked?

With the Atenza license plate and the styling/quality of the photos, these seem like the real deal, pulled from the Japanese Atenza sales manual.

Look of Upcoming Mazda6 Facelift Revealed via Leak

Actually looks really nice! You can see what elements they picked up from the re-designed 3. More importantly, the changes look to be very subtle. If this is the real deal, I'll be glad they didn't screw up the amazing design of the 2014-15 Mazda 6. I think I still prefer the look and interior of the current generation, but the facelift doesn't look bad. The build quality and horsepower improvements should make it hard to pass up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
With the Atenza license plate and the styling/quality of the photos, these seem like the real deal, pulled from the Japanese Atenza sales manual.

Look of Upcoming Mazda6 Facelift Revealed via Leak

Actually looks really nice! You can see what elements they picked up from the re-designed 3. More importantly, the changes look to be very subtle. If this is the real deal, I'll be glad they didn't screw up the amazing design of the 2014-15 Mazda 6. I think I still prefer the look and interior of the current generation, but the facelift doesn't look bad. The build quality and horsepower improvements should make it hard to pass up.
Was there any mention of a horsepower increase?

1 - 20 of 1873 Posts