Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Recently bought a Mazda and have ran into an issue with overheating causing the car to limit its speed and coolant to spray onto the engine as seen in the attached photos. Any idea what the problem here could be? Have been told by a mechanic it could be the gasket head but a friend told me it could be a coolant pipe problem. Any info would be great as I fear I may have to get an entire new engine!
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Auto part

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
It looks like that coolant reservoir, was replaced with a potential used one. Since it's got dates on it. It's just my guess. I would start with replacing that first, with a Brand New OEM one. Before you do look for any visible leaks on the hose first. Also check the radiator cap, and make sure it's tight first before doing any of the above.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes it looks more external than internal. Have you checked your oil level , colour and feel, is that milky, if it is then its the head gasket.

One does wonder why a coolant header tank would have to be changed in the first place, most cars go to scrap with the original.
I have heard on the forums that the EGR cooler hose sometimes fails, but then is it because the cooling system is being pressurised by a failed head gasket or cracked head.
Did your mechanic not carry out a pressure test on the cooling system to rule out to rule out the cylinder head/gasket?

Clean the spray up.
When the engine is hot lift the bonnet and see where its coming from, have somebody rev the engine, observe whats happening in the header tank.
Those comments on the header tank could refer to AF - air filter.
When was the last time you checked everything under the bonnet, as in levels, colours of fluids, state of filters, tyre pressures etc?
What work has been done on the car from new?
Report back what you find.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts