Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was debris bouncing around on the freeway yesterday and I wasn't able to avoid it. As you can see in the photo, the plastic cover is broken.

Everything else with this unit is still operational. I know with the 2006 Mazda 3's, folks were able to pry open the head light to install angel eyes. Does anyone know if the same can be done with the 2016 model? If so, I was thinking about buying the halogen version to swap it out since it's only $140 vs. what I see on eBay (used) going for $700.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Thats a GT, so no you cant change it for another model.

You might be able to swap the lens out other wise, id check with your insurance, cause thats close to a $900 unit. Might be worth it even with a $250 deductible and snag a used GT unit. If it "fell" off another vehicle, they might not look at it as an "at fault" or "collision" and not charge a deductible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a GT, so no you cant change it for another model.

You might be able to swap the lens out other wise, id check with your insurance, cause thats close to a $900 unit. Might be worth it even with a $250 deductible and snag a used GT unit. If it "fell" off another vehicle, they might not look at it as an "at fault" or "collision" and not charge a deductible.
That sucks... Thanks for the feedback

·
Super Moderator
18,124 Posts
Talon's correct - to answer your question, you could pull just the lens off like a 1st gen and replace that, but it'll require a good-sized oven to properly bake the rubber seal so you can swap them without issue.

You can sometimes get lucky on eBay and find someone who doesn't know what they're selling, and get the GT headlights for cheaper - but yeah you're stuck with them since they have a different connector than halogen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Talon's correct - to answer your question, you could pull just the lens off like a 1st gen and replace that, but it'll require a good-sized oven to properly bake the rubber seal so you can swap them without issue.

You can sometimes get lucky on eBay and find someone who doesn't know what they're selling, and get the GT headlights for cheaper - but yeah you're stuck with them since they have a different connector than halogen.
I know the tutorials say 300° for a few minutes and the lens should pry off.

I understand the GT has different housing units, but the lens itself is identical, right? Regardless of the trim?

·
Super Moderator
18,124 Posts
I know the tutorials say 300° for a few minutes and the lens should pry off.

I understand the GT has different housing units, but the lens itself is identical, right? Regardless of the trim?

Actually, I'm not sure if there's a difference between GT and non-GT lenses. I don't think so, but I can't confirm - I'll try to find part numbers.

·
Super Moderator
18,124 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry spyder, got caught up in something - I can't find individual part numbers for the lenses, only for the whole housing.

GT: 2015 Mazda 6 Headlight. HID LAMP. Mazda6; Left; w/HID. WHID, LeftHID - GJS151041D | Jim Ellis Mazda Parts, Atlanta GA
Sport: 2015 Mazda 6 Headlight. HALOGEN LAMP. Mazda6; Left; w/o HID. LeftHALOGEN - GMP2510L0 | Jim Ellis Mazda Parts, Atlanta GA

Doesn't seem Mazda sells them individually - at least according to these diagrams.
All good. I didn't expect you to do this much research, so it's appreciated.

Do you think this will do since I only need the lens?

·
Super Moderator
18,124 Posts
All good. I didn't expect you to do this much research, so it's appreciated.

Do you think this will do since I only need the lens?

Honestly, no idea..... They look like the lenses might be swappable, but there could just as easily be some random nuanced piece that doesn't quite fit. For $120 you could try it out and attempt to send it back if it doesn't fit. Worst case is you're out $120, best is you saved $680 from buying an entire housing. If you end up going the route of the former, let us know since I'm curious now and this would save GT owners a ton (I ran into your same problem at one point, but lucked out finding a whole one on ebay for cheap).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like the lens can be removed. Now, if the base model and GT uses the same lens is another story.

Geico's adjuster called me today and said the total cost is $2,200 ish... So with my $500 deductible, in getting $1,700 and change. I'm tempted to give this swap a try and will contact Mazda tomorrow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my car, I looked for almost two months, eventually got one from eBay for 530, the grand touring ones are expensive 😢

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looks like the lens can be removed. Now, if the base model and GT uses the same lens is another story.

Geico's adjuster called me today and said the total cost is $2,200 ish... So with my $500 deductible, in getting $1,700 and change. I'm tempted to give this swap a try and will contact Mazda tomorrow.

The base model & the GT use different lens and I couldnt find a replacement lens for the GT, only the normal ones

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had the same thing happen to my car, I looked for almost two months, eventually got one from eBay for 530, the grand touring ones are expensive
It's $700 so far on eBay
The base model & the GT use different lens and I couldnt find a replacement lens for the GT, only the normal ones
Ugh... Thanks for saving me the headache. Did you also call the dealership if the lens can be a special order?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts