Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys new here so hope I am posting this right and it’s probably been posted before but just want to let you know. My 2016 Mazda 2 came up with the EGR fault of low flow rate or something a couple of weeks ago so I contact my brother in law who works for a Ford and Mazda dealership. He said take a look at the MAF sensor and as you can see from pics below it was pretty sh**ty so he said don’t clean it up and we will book it in for the carbon intake clean. As the cars out of warranty as it’s done 106k miles I thought there would have been a big bill but they sent all the pics to Mazda and got it all done for free for me I didn’t pay a penny. Pics also below that Mazda sent to me. Has anyone else had this done or tried to get them to do it free? Thanks

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Thats not carbon build up, thats not maintaining your stuff. No way should a MAF be that dirty, nor should you have that much coked oil build up in your intake and TB. Youre lucky you got it done for free.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Car has been owned by me for just under a year with full service history. This is a known issue as when I got it my brother in law said it’s not diesel is it because they suffer from carbon build up!

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Carbon builds up on valves, not on MAFs and throttle bodies. Unless te PCV system doesnt work at all, and then the MAF would still be unaffected. The MAF is the first thing in the path after the air filter, the PCV port is after the MAF, so SOMETHING is seriously wrong with your car, "records" or not. @Archerfish does your MAF and TB look like this?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Carbon builds up on valves, not on MAFs and throttle bodies. Unless te PCV system doesnt work at all, and then the MAF would still be unaffected. The MAF is the first thing in the path after the air filter, the PCV port is after the MAF, so SOMETHING is seriously wrong with your car, "records" or not. @Archerfish does your MAF and TB look like this?
Here is my engine bay. Please excuse the dirty look. I haven't cleaned it yet for the longest time.

Unfortunately, I don't know where to look for it. I hate to admit it, but I'm ignorant about cars. I'm just pretending to be a car guy.

If you, or someone else, can point where should I look for, I'll appreciate it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The MAF sensor is under this bit small bolt secures it but hard to wiggle out because of the o’ring that’s sealing it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the one in my pic then that’s covered in carbon, which sensor is that then? Look as I said I am new here 1st time Mazda owner so it’s a learning curve if I get the name of a part wrong then I apologise but please advise me instead of trying to rip into me!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
So the one in my pic then that’s covered in carbon, which sensor is that then? Look as I said I am new here 1st time Mazda owner so it’s a learning curve if I get the name of a part wrong then I apologise but please advise me instead of trying to rip into me!

Don't worry about it. And that guy is actually helpful.

Going back, it seems you're not the one who removed it. Otherwise, you would have pointed it at the right spot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the one I removed not the MAF sensor because to my mistake this is on the air box also since it’s come back average fuel has gone down its now doing 24.5MPG! I apologise if I was a bit shaper with my last reply.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I can be gruff and to the point, but i wasnt trying to rip into you as much as just talking how i would in person. Anywho, i dont know what sensor that is, but maybe your EGR (if you have one) needs to be cleaned too. We only have @Archerfish as the most active TDI owner here, so if he dont know, i dont know who else would except maybe @Trollz3457, maybe a DPF sensor or something? Good that your MPG came back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks @TalonTsi90 i apologies again but my MPG is now 18.2 from the wife driving so under very little throttle lol. Back to work tomorrow so a decent run for it and we will see what it does then, also the stop start hasn’t worked since I picked it back up on Friday so I have no idea what the Mazda experts have done they maybe want some money back for my freebie!

·
Registered
2016 6
457 Posts
Yea unfortunately in my time working at mazda (just over 2 years) we have only had 1 turbo diesel equipped cx-5 ordered and it took those 2 years to sell it lol. I’ve only seen some posts about the diesels having a carbon/gunk buildup but he’s better off finding a euro member as the Diesel engine is pretty unused in the US.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
, also the stop start hasn’t worked since I picked it back up on Friday so I have no idea what the Mazda experts have done

!
Do you mean i-Stop or the button for starting the engine? If it's i-Stop, then it takes a while for it to activate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yup I regularly,clean that sensor at each,service DIY. It's MAP sensor no.2. You'll get a boost after cleaning it. Just be careful that carb cleaner does cause the oring to swell and might get stuck , don't hulk it, gently twist until it breaks loose and remove, generously blast with carb cleaner until clean and replace.

Also that sticky black intake is normal , all diesel are like that , so walnut blasting is becoming favorite to do for .higher mileage cars, though there has not ever been a fault or failure from gunking, just something owners like doing to love their cars.

·
Registered
20 Posts
MAF sensor is located right at the exit of the air filter , very visible , also a maintenance item but much less frequent , maybe once every year or 2 , get MAF safe cleaner and soak it, however don't touch or scrub it at all, let the solvent and pressure do the work. Let it dry for 30 minutes until all solvent evaporates , refit and enjoy feather light throttle response

1 - 18 of 18 Posts