Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soon after I bought my 2016 GT new, the "Dark Silver" paint on one of the 19" wheels began to flake and peel... I was led to believe (from dealer) that was normal wear/tear road burn. So I paid to have it repainted. Then about 12 months later, all of the wheels were peeling - even the one that I'd fixed. I think there's actually a service bulletin about this. But by the time I realized it may be faulty paint or wheel alloy, my 36 months was up. At any rate, I recently had the wheels painted gloss black.

Before painting, here's the flaky/peely mess. You can still make out the original "Dark Silver" paint in the center of the wheel, but the rest has flaked off to the bare matte grey unpainted wheel - ugly combo.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car

...and here they are painted. (with brand new Conti DWS06 tires, which I love)
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
8 Posts
Soon after I bought my 2016 GT new, the "Dark Silver" paint on one of the 19" wheels began to flake and peel... I was led to believe (from dealer) that was normal wear/tear road burn. So I paid to have it repainted. Then about 12 months later, all of the wheels were peeling - even the one that I'd fixed. I think there's actually a service bulletin about this.
Yes there was one:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10143973-9999.pdf

·
Super Moderator
18,367 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As a new member, I was just trying to share some pics, share my experiences and join in some Mazda 6 comradery - but I have to say, not feeling all that welcome at this point. Peace. Out.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,097 Posts
Powder coating is a type of coating that is applied as a free-flowing, dry powder. Unlike conventional liquid paint which is delivered via an evaporating solvent, powder coating is typically applied electrostatically and then cured under heat or with ultraviolet light. The powder may be a thermoplastic or a thermoset polymer. It is usually used to create a hard finish that is tougher than conventional paint.
-wikipedia

·
Registered
16 Posts
As a new member, I was just trying to share some pics, share my experiences and join in some Mazda 6 comradery - but I have to say, not feeling all that welcome at this point. Peace. Out.
AJ your rims look badass man,dont let him ruin your day. I get tired of seeing his mouth run through text every damn time I get on here. I've only posted a couple posts,but mostly jump on here for reference purposes. I have gone through the forum alot,and hes always running his mouth,and no one said shit. As far as I'm concerned your welcomed here. Your car looks great,and thanks to your post, you just threw the idea in my head to get my stock rims painted. Oh excuse me AJ get them "powder coated".Better use proper terminology right:LOL::ROFLMAO: Anyways thanks for the idea and the post big dawg!

·
Registered
2016 Mazda6 Grand Touring
5 Posts
Soon after I bought my 2016 GT new, the "Dark Silver" paint on one of the 19" wheels began to flake and peel... I was led to believe (from dealer) that was normal wear/tear road burn. So I paid to have it repainted. Then about 12 months later, all of the wheels were peeling - even the one that I'd fixed. I think there's actually a service bulletin about this. But by the time I realized it may be faulty paint or wheel alloy, my 36 months was up. At any rate, I recently had the wheels painted gloss black.

Before painting, here's the flaky/peely mess. You can still make out the original "Dark Silver" paint in the center of the wheel, but the rest has flaked off to the bare matte grey unpainted wheel - ugly combo.
View attachment 244864

...and here they are painted. (with brand new Conti DWS06 tires, which I love)
View attachment 244867
View attachment 244868
Hi AJ. My 2016 GT had the same problems with the same wheels. Luckily (?) I live in a state with harsh winters and the peeling/flaking started early enough that the wheels (rims for Talon) were all replaced by the dealer. The replacement wheels have held up well over the last 3+ years.
Welcome to the club!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts