Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced my 2016 I-ELOOP system battery (2nd time) with an Interstate AGM group 35 from Costco ($189). The two Error msgs (service due, battery system malfunction) disappeared after 2 ~20m drives.

Note: always good to take pictures /movies of battery tie down J hook locations, etc which help in reconnecting. 😃

1. Remove sensor connection from Negative (-) battery terminal NOT the electrical system main cable. There is a plastic tab at the back of the sensor (where the wires come out) press it in and gently pull it out. It is a 2 prong connector female sensor.

2. Removed the 10mm battery tie down'J' hooks with a 10mm deep socket. Loosen the top bolts DO NOT remove nuts.

Just need to loosen and the J bolts will swing free and the battery tie down can be removed without losing the nuts ie keep the J hooks atrached to the nuts and tie down.

3. Remove Negative battery connection using 10mm deep socket. Push to side of battery so battery can be removed/installed.

4. Remove Positive battery protector (black plastic), careful not to break plastic clips. Remove Positive battery connector using 10mm deep socket. Move cable/protector to the side.

5. Replace battery, clean battery tray etc as needed. Always good to clean when you can.

6. Secure battery tie down. J hooks swing in on side of battery.

7. Reconnect Positive battery connection and plastic protector.

8. Reconnect Negative battery connection only DO NOT connect the battery sensor.

9. Connect the sensor making sure the water seal gasket is aligned ie not crimped bent etc.
You should hear a snap when the connector is secure. The sensor can only go on 1 way.

10. Start the car and take it for a ~20min ride etc to charge the battery and reset the error codes.

My First battery lasted -3 yrs and Mazda gave me a customer appreciation discount to get the $500 replacement battery.

The 2nd one again lasted ~3yrs (110k miles). Battery NOT AGM. After malfunction a error appeared, the Mazda battery was low on fluid maybe 1.5" from top, added distilled water to see if that would help.
NO problems ever with starting, i-ELOOP app did not show any horizontal bars only arrows moving from alternator pic to car. Didn't want to take a chance on reliability so replaced battery based on previous battery.

3rd battery is AGM and will see if it lasts more then 3yrs.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Hope this helps!
Not be a dick, it doesnt really, cause we already know that AGM is ok to use. Theres another major thread about it somewhere. I think driving and storage habits have more to do with battery life than anything. I nursed my stock 2017 battery along cause i have a somewhat climate controlled garage. If it had to sit outside all the time, it would have died long ago.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts