Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been driving my car much due to COVID, but yesterday I took a longer trip to get the kids from the in-laws. On the way back, we started hearing something banging underneath the car. I pulled over and took a look, and it appeared that plastic underneath the car had come loose and that a fastener had just come undone. Upon further inspection, I could see that several pieces had actually broken. See the attached pictures.

Has anyone had experience with getting these replaced? What can I expect to pay? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had these break on my 2018.
They are a felt material in the newer 6s and not plastic like on your car.
I was quoted 144 (Canadian) for the front one.
Most people just drive with them missing as they tend to break quite easily.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I would replace them.

Why? Because they VERY MATERIALLY decrease the amount of debris, mud and similar in and around the engine and accessories. The difference is NOT SMALL; I've got over 200,000 miles on my "6" and mine are all intact -- and my engine is still QUITE clean and everything else is nicely corrosion-free.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I would replace them.

Why? Because they VERY MATERIALLY decrease the amount of debris, mud and similar in and around the engine and accessories. The difference is NOT SMALL; I've got over 200,000 miles on my "6" and mine are all intact -- and my engine is still QUITE clean and everything else is nicely corrosion-free.
I have to agree. And I am reminded to follow up with my claim. Approved or not, I'll make sure to have it installed.

·
Super Moderator
17,293 Posts
I can't quite tell from the photos, but perhaps the parts you're looking for are listed in one of these:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I can't quite tell from the photos, but perhaps the parts you're looking for are listed in one of these:
Yeah, I came across THIS last night which looks like the parts needed. I am just wondering how much it will cost me to get these fixed at the dealership.

·
Super Moderator
17,293 Posts
Yeah, I came across this THIS last night which looks like the parts needed. I am just wondering how much it will cost me to get these fixed at the dealership.
Mark the cost of the part up 100% and add labor and you're on the right path - it's why we call them stealerships.

Edit: Most stealerships are like that - I've got a place near me whose service department is actually pretty genuine and great.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I don't have the exact count but the fasteners are common and not Mazda-specific (I have a large pack of different sizes and just reach in there for one when I need it or trash one of the old ones taking it out); there are also a handful of machine screws used as a few of the panel joints (particularly the front valence to the main engine cover and of course the maintenance cover for the oil change has a couple of screws and a couple of push-pin style clips); the latter are just metal screws into steel clips that are on the other panel. The "push-pin" style clips are used on a LOT of cars (my Suburban's fender liners are held on with them as one example.)

I've had these panels off a number of times for various purposes and at once point had one that snagged on something on the road and cracked; I just bought the replacement and put it on. It's easy.

One hint: There's a "pickle fork" looking tool you can buy that goes around the "head" of those plastic push-pin style fasteners. Buy one; they're cheap. It works MUCH better than a screwdriver and is a LOT less likely to tear the head off the pin. Once you get them off soak them in some soap and water and work them back and forth a few times while submerged; they get dirt in them and then bind up. Once they're clean spritz a bit of silicone lube (NOT an oil -- it will attract dirt!) in there; it'll make it a lot easier to get them off the next time you want to remove them. Mine looks sort of like this (not this brand and model, but close enough) https://www.amazon.com/ARES-Ergonomic-Plastic-Fastener-Fasteners/dp/B0779KWP8J/ref=sr_1_40?crid=2MTQKS7J96TIH&dchild=1&keywords=trim+removal+tool&qid=1593486393&sprefix=trim+,aps,166&sr=8-40

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also remind whomever changes the oil to not crank on the screws that hold the cover for the oil filter and drain plug. If they are overtightened it can crack the plastic around the bolt holes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts