Mazda 6 Forums banner

2016 6 Transmission failure??

4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  leaston 
#1 ·
Hello all, first of i would like to say that the Mazda community has been awesome! i am glad to be a part of it!

Once again i do have a concern and a question. I joined a nice amount of mazda owners facebook groups and today i saw a post that worried me:
Some guy with a 2016 6 had a problem with his transmission differential assembly, and the car only has 93k miles. The guy said they quoted him $5800 to fix at a shop, so my question is, should i be extremely worried about that happening to me or is this issue more sporadic? This has scared me into doing my first trans fluid service (my car almost has 63k on the clock). I will update once i get that done!

And for my question:
I honestly kinda hate the steering wheel on my car, and i would like to swap it for a newer designed steering wheel (for example, a steering wheel off of a 2017 6 touring) my question is, if i decided to do this is it even possible? is it just plug and play? any suggestions please let me know! Once again thank you all!

#2 ·
I did a drain and refill on my 17 6 at 58k miles. Now at 65k miles with no issues. One of the best things that changed was when I would floor it, it used to jerk and make an abrupt clunk. Now it's much smoother. I read that post yesterday too and figured that was only for the 2014 models and was resolved in later years.

I'm curious if he truly did drain it at 60k miles and if so, was genuine fluid used?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I did the same but there's no noticeable difference. I only have 51,xxx kilometers and that is perhaps why I didn't notice any difference.

Going back, I agree that there's little information about what happened and how the car was/is used. I wouldn't worry, as long as I know I am taking good care of the car and as long as I'm not abusive to it on a daily basis.

How do you abuse a car? Possibly by flooring it upon starting it right away, without giving any chance to warm up the fluid.

#3 ·
Well first off, there is little to no info in your post, so guessing whether or not the trans will up and "die" all of a sudden is pretty hard.

Will it randomly implode leaving you stranded on the side of the road in Crimesburg USA? I highly doubt it, unless you abuse the car on a daily basis. Without knowing the background, theres no way we can begin to guess anything of solid advice.

#5 · (Edited)
It seems to me the more an A/T is made to shift gear at or near full throttle - the more the friction elements like the multiplate clutches / "steels" and the bands wear. The wear on those circulates more wear debris/"swarf" and said swarf allows the spools to wear in the aluminum valve body. The heat that is generated "helps" to prematurely age soft parts like o-rings and seals.

#6 ·
Yeah that is about all of the information i got form the post. There is a possibility he abused the transmission. I just wanted to ask to see if anyone else was experiencing this on the forums. I just got a tad bit worried, i am hoping next Tuesday i will do the trans fluid service!

Anyone got any ideas for my Question though? i would really like to swap the steering wheel lol

#16 ·
I have a 2016 Mazda 6 Sport with the automatic trans and 117k miles on it. Have had a leaking trans pan earlier this year but that's the extent of it.

I beat on my car pretty hard, have a few mods done with a supercharger kit on order, and just finished some of the most frustrating maintenance on my vehicle to date as of about 45 minutes ago, and so far it's still going strong. I haven't started it yet today to see if I messed anything up though so we'll see...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.