Mazda 6 Forums banner
81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Just my opinion, I would not drop that kind of cash replacing those parts. I would sell the car, you will get top dollar because used cars are in high demand. I would use the proceeds to buy a new car. I suspect that will be the best financial decision. Best of luck to you.
OK, let's push the limits of today's hot market and say I can get $22K for it (I never said that's a realistic number). Add the $10K that I'm not spending to fix the car and I've got $32K towards a new car.
So what new car would you buy for $32K that's better or equal to what I have?

·
Registered
361 Posts
OK, let's push the limits of today's hot market and say I can get $22K for it (I never said that's a realistic number). Add the $10K that I'm not spending to fix the car and I've got $32K towards a new car.
So what new car would you buy for $32K that's better or equal to what I have?
2022 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport is in that range.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Let me ask one question... Did you ever wash the dang salt off? I mean, defects are one thing, but not doing ANY maintenance is another, (and no I'm not saying you didn't) but expecting stuff to last without ever washing it is ridic.
Judging by the very low mileage for 2015, it probably sat a lot covered in salt. Still quite excessive on the rust, but yeah unless you have a Toyota, people should wash the frame before it becomes nothing but flavour. Especially when it sits a lot, because the heat and constant usage of the car allow the rust to fall off, even the rain often helps wash the salt off even though it adds some of its own. Anyways you'd have better luck suing the city for the salt than filing a safety concern with the NTHSA. :ROFLMAO:

• 10 winters. (9 years, starting in February)
  • 185k miles.
  • 8 years living in top 20 snowiest city in country (4 years straight 2nd place behind Syracuse, NY)
  • 8 years with extreme amounts of road brine.
  • Never once washed it during winter.
  • Never applied any kind of rust inhibitor/protection.
  • The car is currently filthy, sorry.
  • Here are images of both the front and back axels (a couple of the worst areas on the car) - to me, this certainly fits "isn't that bad"
View attachment 245753
View attachment 245754
My 2017 GT looks a lot like that, maybe a little better, but to be fair it sat in a yard for a year or so before it went into auction. It was a wrecked car and absolutely covered in salt when I got it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good call, though body style is a bid bland compared to the 6.
I wouldn't recommend getting the Turbo's they have oil dilution problems and overall aren't as reliable. Would definitely recommend giving Mazda another shot, also why spend a full 32k when you can buy something cheaper, not my money but just something to consider. Toyota or Mazda are my biggest go-to's, an AC is part of my heart and soul and I haven't driven a Honda with a good AC that lasted longer than 4 years until it started degrading. (2 were my parents' and 1 was my friend's). Also with taxes like they are today, I wouldn't expect more than 14-15k after tax. Although if you get more definitely let us know haha. The best time to sell would be right now too!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I wouldn't recommend getting the Turbo's they have oil dilution problems and overall aren't as reliable. Would definitely recommend giving Mazda another shot, also why spend a full 32k when you can buy something cheaper, not my money but just something to consider. Toyota or Mazda are my biggest go-to's, an AC is part of my heart and soul and I haven't driven a Honda with a good AC that lasted longer than 4 years until it started degrading. (2 were my parents' and 1 was my friend's). Also with taxes like they are today, I wouldn't expect more than 14-15k after tax. Although if you get more definitely let us know haha. The best time to sell would be right now too!
You're thinking the Honda 1.5L, the 2.0T doesn't have the fuel dilution problem.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts