Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've bought the new 2015 Mazda 6 GS in the end of September last year.
And I decided do not do any additional rust protection: it is a new car and I assumed the proper rust protection should be done on a factory line in Japan.

In the end of July I have noticed rust leak trails under the trunk car plate. And when I took off plates I see the paint is bumped in two spots and yes - there is a rust :( !

Overall I was happy and satisfied with this car. But that - fully changed my opinion about it:
- The car is less than one year old!
- The place were rust was found have not got any physical damage or impact - that for sure!
- I have not got any explanation from Mazda dealer - why that can happen! They just propose to paint it and refused to change trunk cover! :(
I know: the rust is like a contamination and small chance is that will fix it for years.

Does anybody have the same issues?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
The only way to stop corrosion that has started is to fuly remove it, so you are correct that painting over it will not stop it from growing. If the license plate is aluminum and is touching the steel car it is a galvanic corrosion issue waiting to happen. Or even if the gap is just small and the salt sits there and never gets cleaned by washing. I recommend people that live in salty or wet areas ensure there is a gap everywhere between the license plate and the car large enough for it to not trap corrosive stuff. Still, I agree that if parts are adequate dipped to prevent galvanic corrosion it should not happen so fast.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Are you sure that's not surface rust from the license plate? (Had that happen to me once, scared the crap out of me considering I was in CA...)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
So far as I know your warranty also covers rust under the bumper to bumper warranty. Solar365 is correct, once rust sets in the whole panel should be replaced. However, that looks to be on the surface. Have you tried using a paint cleaner and seeing if it will buff out? It could be just on the clear coat. Mother's or McGuire's make great cleaners. Just make sure that once you use the cleaner that you follow up with a polish and wax to keep the shine consistent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No - it is not on surface. And it is not the rail dust for sure. The paint is bumped by rust underneath. The plate's metal is clear and actually it is isolated from trunk surface with plastic frame.
I can only guess that was probably galvanic effect. I have not got an explanation from Mazda dealer. And once again: it is new car - less than one year old :(
Mazda is going to fix the issue by removing paint layer and "if the surface is not compromised -contaminated with rust" paint it over again. What they will do otherwise - I don't know. They are not interested to find that out.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Mazda has always had thin paint...

They could do with taking a page out of the German playbook on that one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Are you sure that's not surface rust from the license plate? (Had that happen to me once, scared the crap out of me considering I was in CA...)
this is what i thought. i always use stainless steel hardware to mount plates. they are what usually rust. the plates, in my experience, are generally resilient.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts