Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
New here. I own a 2015 Mazda 6 with the headlight auto leveling system. Don't know the exact name for it but is the one that points the headlights wherever you turn the steering wheel.

I would love to upgrade the HID bulbs but, when I go to the car, I can't see where or how to change them. The only thing I see is something like a electric motor. On the user's manual stated that you must go to the dealer to get that done.

Would someone know how to change them? Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
17,560 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

You've got the Xenon bulbs - they're listed as a 35W D4S. The headlight is attached to the leveling system directly and, therefore, needs to be removed after first removing the system. Thankfully, it's not too difficult. The back of your headlights will have a large plastic/metal "cap" that has some wires plugged into it. That entire cap rotates until some knobs line up and it can be pulled out. You may also have to rotate slightly and remove another part near it, but I forget exactly.

The bulb itself has a couple metal wires helping it stay in place and you'll need to pinch those in order to get the bulb out.

I always have to add, please be extremely careful not to touch the bulbs at all, since they get so hot the oils from your skin will cause them to prematurely break.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, that was quick. Thanks

Is this something I'll have to remove the complete headlight or can I do this from the back of it? Also, how do you remove that system? Will it mess the alignment? I'm sorry for all the questions but I'm not that "great" doing stuff like this. Things like that I always take to the dealer before I mess anything! I really appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
17,560 Posts
It's what we're here for! :)

Best way to get to your headlights is from behind the fender liner. You've got a pretty clear sight to them on both sides and it's only a couple of plastic clips and removing your tire to give you some space. There's a handful of videos on youtube that cover it pretty well.

As for alignment, they're self-leveling, so you're fine. All you need to do is twist the unit on the back of the light (maybe quarter or half of a turn) until it pops out, then twist it back in until it's snug.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts