Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

So I have a 2015 6 that I love. It's been a great car for my family and I. The only downfall I can find with the vehicle, is it lacks performance (sluggish). I've been reading up on it as much as I can, and I'm wondering what is the best company to go for to get a proper tune that can possibly squeak out 15-20hp and overall better performance. I'll eventually add a cold air with some sort of exhaust delete, but I'm more interested in finding a good, reliable tune first. Let me know!

·
Registered
986 Posts
You've got the order backwards, IMHO. Physical changes first; then tune to suit said changes + your selection of fuel octane. Having said this, most folks 'round here do not recommend intake changes because stock is good. Re the exhaust, it's more of a personal tastes matter as the boost in hp often is pretty small. Generally, Orange Virus Tuning is what is favoured here. See attachment on how to contact them. They mostly do Toyotas and Lexus' these days. To some extent, and IF they agree to take you on, they are 'kinda "humouring" us to actually do the work. They ARE good. If you decide to pursue it you MUST be patient as they are over-subscribed and just can't react fast.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Saintdenny,
While the stock intake/exhaust flow surprisingly well for how quiet they are, there is a noticeable difference from better flowing of each.
On the exhaust, I wouldn't just delete as it can have a heavy drone, personally I think Thrush turbo muffler sounds amazing and others have gone other ways, but any decent flowing aftermarket muffler will be good (plus the stock muffler is giant and super heavy, so you can drop 30-40lbs in weight from the rear of the car which is good for handling). Going to be cheaper to get a simple custom muffler replacement rather than the extra shiny pre-built ones (Corksport or RacingBeat), but that's your call.
On the intake, I don't think SRI is a good option as you lose torque and sucking in warm air is not helpful, but Injen makes a fantastic CAI that sounds amazing and definitely helps engine performance, the one drawback is you're lowering the engine intake to only about 12" so hydrolock is a little more of a risk if you drive into deep water.

One more thing to do is stiffen the RMM (Rear Motor Mount) as less flex of that means less latency applying torque to the road when you hit the gas (see my post about how I DIY'd this on the cheap).

Keep in mind that our cars are very sensitive, have good software running, so if you change something (e.g. replace muffler or install CAI) make sure you do something to reset the computer (e.g. clear DTCs, disconnect battery for a few minutes).

The other option for tune is DRTuned, there's quite a few threads on Mazda3Revolution forum with good marks, seems comparable to OVTune (20+hp and 20+tq).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts